SPOILER The dynasty begins: The Brisbane Broncos are winning the 2024 NRL Premiership

The Storm side we played in the finals was very very different to the Storm side that's currently minor premiers.

It was great to end the hoodoo, but Storm were complete rubbish that night and that helped a fair bit. The side they are now is several levels above what they were then.

Then you compare the side we are now to then. We are too fragile at the moment.

Total revisionist history. Keep the negativity to in game threads.

I'm really getting sick of the 2023 revisionist bashing that has crept in to threads lately. People saying we had no structure, just got lucky, etc. Absolute rubbish.

@Dazza 92 was putting up analysis left, right and centre showing how structured we were. Our ad lib franticness was built on top of this. Our defense was also fantastic. We beat a good Storm team comfortably and they threw plenty at us, we frustrated them in to errors in the back end.

Throw that 2023 Broncos side into the comp this year, we would be where Melbourne is and would win the whole thing in a canter. The overall quality of the comp this year is a shadow on what it was last year.

I'm really getting sick of the 2023 revisionist bashing that has crept in to threads lately. People saying we had no structure, just got lucky, etc. Absolute rubbish.

@Dazza 92 was putting up analysis left, right and centre showing how structured we were. Our ad lib franticness was built on top of this. Our defense was also fantastic. We beat a good Storm team comfortably and they threw plenty at us, we frustrated them in to errors in the back end.

Throw that 2023 Broncos side into the comp this year, we would be where Melbourne is and would win the whole thing in a canter. The overall quality of the comp this year is a shadow on what it was last year.
Keep fighting the good fight Sproj, you talk pure common sense.

We beat a good Storm team comfortably

In no way were Storm good.

They hit a wall. They scored a total of 22 points across 3 games. That's an average of 7 points a game and one of those was against a Roosters side that were hanging on by a thread and Storm only managed to beat in the final minute of the game.

Even on their run home the only top 8 teams they managed to beat was a rubbish Roosters and Raiders side, and then there's the one against us where it was a reserve grade match but that one doesn't get included.

They threw very little at us. Their only real genuine scoring chance in the first half was the Coates no try. They were disjointed, they lacked energy, they were making a lot of bad errors, their best hope was NAS coming on to spark something and he did **** all. Even Munster at half time said they were dogshit.

Watch a couple of Storm games in the first half of the season and then watch that game. Very different Storm sides.

As for competition. It was Panthers, us and then very clear daylight.

Anyway the point of my post was for the people pointing out that game when people say Melbourne are afraid of us. And when people say we won't beat a full strength Melbourne side, "we beat them last year we can do it again". Two very different sides.

If we can beat a full strength Melbourne to get into the finals anything could happen given they are the benchmark this year.

The late bye really works for us if we can get in, hopefully we can get Walsh back soon though I don't think we can sustain this form without him.

In no way were Storm good.

They hit a wall. They scored a total of 22 points across 3 games. That's an average of 7 points a game and one of those was against a Roosters side that were hanging on by a thread and Storm only managed to beat in the final minute of the game.

Even on their run home the only top 8 teams they managed to beat was a rubbish Roosters and Raiders side, and then there's the one against us where it was a reserve grade match but that one doesn't get included.

They threw very little at us. Their only real genuine scoring chance in the first half was the Coates no try. They were disjointed, they lacked energy, they were making a lot of bad errors, their best hope was NAS coming on to spark something and he did **** all. Even Munster at half time said they were dogshit.

Watch a couple of Storm games in the first half of the season and then watch that game. Very different Storm sides.

As for competition. It was Panthers, us and then very clear daylight.

Anyway the point of my post was for the people pointing out that game when people say Melbourne are afraid of us. And when people say we won't beat a full strength Melbourne side, "we beat them last year we can do it again". Two very different sides.

We went to Melbourne this year and if not for an Arthars brain fade, would have won it. We aren’t even just talking 2023 here. This is despite not having Walsh, Haas and Piakura and with Baker in the team as a handbrake. We also lost Reynolds at half time. They were basically full strength.

Like I said, stop being revisionist.

I’m with you to an extent, Sprojy.

2023 was an anomaly but only in the sense that we looked like a fairly well coached team which hasn’t been the case in the other 3 seasons.

Our team selections were good, our bench use was more often than not logical, games appeared to have tactics, fringe players slotted in to their roles. There were many deficiencies for sure, and we relied a lot of athleticism and the bounce of the ball but we can’t now act like there wasn’t a method to the madness.

My concern is what has happened since then to make us fall back to earth so hard and no I won’t accept origin or injuries as the excuse.

To me the difference between 23 and all other seasons is so stark that have to wonder what changed. Was it assent coaches that are now no longer contributing, has Kev lost the playing group, is there turmoil within the group? Did the retention team underestimate the importance of Capewell or Farnworth?

It could be just as simple as, we exploded out of no where with a style no one else was playing and it took a season for other teams to figure it out.

If they do feild full strength against us it goes to show that they veiw us as just a training run to play themselves into form before the finals IMO.

Lets hope Broncos could pull off the upset and bring them down earth a bit if that is the case. That game should be an all out war for us. No excuses to not give our all.
Rubbish.

How about if they field a full strength team against us it's because Bellyache is a salty old fool that still loves beating us more than any other team?

How about if they field a full strength team against us it's because they know what Brisbane is capable of IF they manage to put it together? I can tell you now, there's 7 coaches locked in the top 8 who would rather the Dragons finish 8th than the Broncos.

Rubbish.

How about if they field a full strength team against us it's because Bellyache is a salty old fool that still loves beating us more than any other team?

How about if they field a full strength team against us it's because they know what Brisbane is capable of IF they manage to put it together? I can tell you now, there's 7 coaches locked in the top 8 who would rather the Dragons finish 8th than the Broncos.
Exactly, if they field a full strength team they are going to most likely champange football our asses out the door with hardly exerting much energy in the process. Their starting 17 is then switched on and ready for the finals with no rust or cobwebs the following week. It seems the perfect plan. Only the Broncos can bring the plan unstuck. A win would be great but I don't even care if we win so much as we put them through hell in that game. Make em earn it.

If they play a full strength side against us it has nothing to do with being scared of Brisbane and trying to knock them out. It's a tricky decision for the Storm.

I’m with you to an extent, Sprojy.

2023 was an anomaly but only in the sense that we looked like a fairly well coached team which hasn’t been the case in the other 3 seasons.

Our team selections were good, our bench use was more often than not logical, games appeared to have tactics, fringe players slotted in to their roles. There were many deficiencies for sure, and we relied a lot of athleticism and the bounce of the ball but we can’t now act like there wasn’t a method to the madness.

My concern is what has happened since then to make us fall back to earth so hard and no I won’t accept origin or injuries as the excuse.

To me the difference between 23 and all other seasons is so stark that have to wonder what changed. Was it assent coaches that are now no longer contributing, has Kev lost the playing group, is there turmoil within the group? Did the retention team underestimate the importance of Capewell or Farnworth?

It could be just as simple as, we exploded out of no where with a style no one else was playing and it took a season for other teams to figure it out.
My thoughts as well, certainly an anomaly.

Truth is if they can only ascertain and reproduce then we would be a top four team for seasons to come. More than likely however 23 was a culmination of many factors, some of which you’ve mentioned.

Never know with a new brains trust we may redevelop them again next year or the year after. Fingers crossed.

We went to Melbourne this year and if not for an Arthars brain fade, would have won it. We aren’t even just talking 2023 here. This is despite not having Walsh, Haas and Piakura and with Baker in the team as a handbrake. We also lost Reynolds at half time. They were basically full strength.

Like I said, stop being revisionist.
I forgot how close that game was. Storm was full strength. Meanwhile, we had Sailor in for Walsh, and Baker for Haas.

I forgot how close that game was. Storm was full strength. Meanwhile, we had Sailor in for Walsh, and Baker for Haas.
that game was a good performance. We also lost reyno halfway through the game. I reckon Ezra had his best game of the season.

Honestly the boys were so hungry for the win that game, it was just pure storm ass that they pulled off the win!

Well Melbourne resting 11 againt the Cowboys...

If they play a full strength side against us it has nothing to do with being scared of Brisbane and trying to knock them out. It's a tricky decision for the Storm.
Most likely reality is you are right. Melbourne probably occupy a lot more of our headspace than we do of theirs.
If Bellyache rests half the team this week and goes full strength (or close) in the last round it's probably because he thinks it's the best strategy for his team/players, regardless of who they are playing against.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Pablo
  • Hurrijo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Robboi_321
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.