CONTROVERSIAL The future of the Broncos?

Who is the future of the Broncos?

• Tommy Dearden

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other (discuss below)

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Who/what is the future of the club?
Do we already have all/some of the blocks in place?
Are we building a premiership around a player or core group?
Or are we in a transition phase before the next major rebuild?

I look at our team right now and Aside from Hooker and Halfback there is alot to look forward to long term.

Not saying Reyno is bad but he is only going to be here short term, and Mozer is still far from being proven for Hooker long term.

Most of our key players are not even in their peak years yet.

I think we have an extremely strong team with pretty exciting players coming through but as said above hooker and replacing Reynolds are the only thing stopping us from having a GF capable team now that many of the players have matured.

Mozer could be the answer at hooker, however that leaves us with an extremely young spine - even when Reyno retires they will all be under 22 so a mature halfback is probably required.

I also am still obviously not convinced by our coaching appointments. I would feel more confident if we had a stud coach.

I truly think that missing the 8 is inexcusable pending significant injuries tolls.

In B 4 Wolfie......

Captain Pat........is our future

He will lead us to glory once again

I think we have an extremely strong team with pretty exciting players coming through but as said above hooker and replacing Reynolds are the only thing stopping us from having a GF capable team now that many of the players have matured.

Mozer could be the answer at hooker, however that leaves us with an extremely young spine - even when Reyno retires they will all be under 22 so a mature halfback is probably required.

I also am still obviously not convinced by our coaching appointments. I would feel more confident if we had a stud coach.

I truly think that missing the 8 is inexcusable pending significant injuries tolls.

I'm not saying our young spine is anywhere near the same level but age didn't really stop Smith, Slater and Cronk doing a mazing things...of course let's not get the lack of salary cap in the way of a good story either.

But they did have Orford as well, so I reckon if we can get another year / year and a half out of Reynolds, we could well be set up for sustained success then.

I'm not saying our young spine is anywhere near the same level but age didn't really stop Smith, Slater and Cronk doing a mazing things...of course let's not get the lack of salary cap in the way of a good story either.

But they did have Orford as well, so I reckon if we can get another year / year and a half out of Reynolds, we could well be set up for sustained success then.
100% it’s just the timing game for them. Mozer, Mam, and Walsh all have huge ceilings, and though often these things never end up as best case scenarios, if they do all kick on it is a very good spine.

Though I also thought Hunt and Milf would be the QLD and broncos halves for a decade.

I feel like we're in a holding pattern at the moment.

To be a title contender I believe you need an elite spine. You need that spine to put the team on their back and force the rest of the team to come along with them.

Having a strong spine that can win games off their own back creates a winning culture... the team is never out of any contest and are turning up to every game ready to win.

At the moment Reyno is elite, but he's ageing and Walsh has the potential to become elite... Walsh also looks like he has the attitude and leadership needed.

We really need a junior halfback to come through as a replacement for Reyno at which point we would have two elite members of the spine with potential for Mozer and Ezra to join them.

Unfortunately it seems like it's near impossible to find a Qld equivalent of Cleary, Moses, etc. One that comes with an elite kicking game (short and long), ability and want to play as the first receiver, and playmaking skills to set up the outside men or break the line themselves.

I say Qld'er because a NSW'men always runs the risk of wanting to head home... so I think we're in a bit of a holding pattern until we can get our hands on a young Qld halfback that wants to be at the Broncos and has the abilities required.

I think Walsh could be a reasonable shout at being that lead playmaker for us and I would be hoping that he is working with Reyno to learn the art of kicking, because he was doing a fair chunk of the kicking for warriors last year.

He appears to have the communication and leadership to put the team on his back and he has ample talent to be the focal point of the attack.

After Reynolds leaves, I would like to see
1 Walsh Cobbo Herbie Sailor
6 Walsh Sailor ?
7 Mam Walker Madden
9 Berrel Mozer Packer

If I'm honest I don't see us challenging for the next 2-3 years. Our spine is still poor. Walsh is a good addition but he's not great defensively. Reynolds isn't getting younger and is injury prone. We're pinning a lot on mam and mozer, both of which are young and haven't necessarily shown they will go to the next level.

We have some good props in Carrigan and Haas but outside of that our pack is potential rather than proven performers.

We will be fringe 8 candidates and make the finals but won't go deep. More than happy to be wrong though.

In reality the team is a long way off. We might catch a few good results, even string some wins together and play finals, but this side needs a lot of work moving forward if it wants to compete.

Reyno is short term and we haven't got the pieces around him he needs, especially at 9. Yeah Walsh is promising, but I feel he is either boom or bust and its a coin flip at this point. Mam is a certified star but I am not confident he's our future halfback. I wont go into hooker, its clear there is a gaping hole there that wont be fixed short term.

Spines win premierships so whilst we have some gun forwards, it won't amount to anything without some additions. My fear is guys like Haas will lose patience and chase big money elsewhere and we will be stuck with mid tier players like Staggs and Cobbo long term on big contracts due to their highlight reels.

The elephant in the room though is the coach. I have zero confidence this club will be in any sort of premiership window until we appoint an elite coach. That's not me being Kevvie out or driving an agenda.. it is just the honest truth.

I feel people are underestimating madden's potential. Madden has shown maturity by choosing to delay a regular first grade spot in order to learn under a very good half in reynolds. When reynolds retires he will have benefited from reynolds tutelage and I think can fill that organising half role. He also will not be demanding massive coin which we may need to retain a good spine and core group of players.

I feel people are underestimating madden's potential. Madden has shown maturity by choosing to delay a regular first grade spot in order to learn under a very good half in reynolds. When reynolds retires he will have benefited from reynolds tutelage and I think can fill that organising half role. He also will not be demanding massive coin which we may need to retain a good spine and core group of players.
That's great but there's no guarantee he'll be anything more than a serviceable first grader, if that.

Like I said, we're pinning a huge amount on players in key positions realising their potential. Not a good base for a premiership tilt. Most clubs are basing their hopes on the same - what makes you think we're any better off than those clubs?

Im kinda excited i see us closer to where the panthers were when they started bringing cleary and luai into fg,admittedly there is 10x the pressure being a half for the broncos but we are doing it right having reynolds here as they come through similar to the role Maloney played.

What it will come down to is hooker really,ideally one or two really kick on over the next 2-3 years.

That's great but there's no guarantee he'll be anything more than a serviceable first grader, if that.

Like I said, we're pinning a huge amount on players in key positions realising their potential. Not a good base for a premiership tilt. Most clubs are basing their hopes on the same - what makes you think we're any better off than those clubs?
Agree, i think we are currently in a pack of clubs who have been mid to low tier on the ladder who's fans can all claim similar players to Mam, Mariner, Piakura, Madden, Riki, Willison, Mozer etc who's excitement is all based around potential.

Until we get 2 spine positions that can consistently challenge and at times out perform a Cleary/Munster/Tedesco/Latrell/Moses/Grant/Walker/Api etc we are just making up the numbers whether we finish 12th or 6th

I was more commenting on those lamenting the loss of karl and some other younger halves. Thinking some young 18/19 year old "star" could make us a premiership threat.

I feel like we're in a holding pattern at the moment.

To be a title contender I believe you need an elite spine. You need that spine to put the team on their back and force the rest of the team to come along with them.

Having a strong spine that can win games off their own back creates a winning culture... the team is never out of any contest and are turning up to every game ready to win.

At the moment Reyno is elite, but he's ageing and Walsh has the potential to become elite... Walsh also looks like he has the attitude and leadership needed.

We really need a junior halfback to come through as a replacement for Reyno at which point we would have two elite members of the spine with potential for Mozer and Ezra to join them.

Unfortunately it seems like it's near impossible to find a Qld equivalent of Cleary, Moses, etc. One that comes with an elite kicking game (short and long), ability and want to play as the first receiver, and playmaking skills to set up the outside men or break the line themselves.

I say Qld'er because a NSW'men always runs the risk of wanting to head home... so I think we're in a bit of a holding pattern until we can get our hands on a young Qld halfback that wants to be at the Broncos and has the abilities required.

I think Walsh could be a reasonable shout at being that lead playmaker for us and I would be hoping that he is working with Reyno to learn the art of kicking, because he was doing a fair chunk of the kicking for warriors last year.

He appears to have the communication and leadership to put the team on his back and he has ample talent to be the focal point of the attack.
A few QLD halves who come to mind:

Dearden
Milford
Croft
Hunt
Gamble
Kelly

And lest we forget: Karmichael Hunt

At the moment Reyno is elite

Dunno bout at the moment .
He went down hill the 2nd half of the season . Because some mean Titans tackled him too hard . Then that SOB Kevvie wouldn`t let him heal up before he had to play again . Poor basturd .

I think Cptn / Coach Reynolds got away with some trick shot kicks early season that made the team look better than it was .
I want to see Reynolds dig into the line before throwing the pass 2021 Souths stylee or he can retire early with a clip board .

Active Now

• unnerv1ng
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.