The League Exodus MYTH

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
The truth behind the European & Union exodus, that certain media outlets push on us constantly.

Here is a list of every ex-NRL player, under the age of 30, now playing in the SLE. I have added players heading off next season as well. The number beside the player is their age.

Tame Topou 25
Ned Catic 29
Mitchell Sargent 29
Clint Greenshields 26
Aaron Gorrell 27
Dane Carlaw 28
Casey Macguire 28
Mark McLinden 29
Willie Manu 28 (NZ)
David Howell 24
Chad Randall 27
Paul Whatuira 26 (NZ)
Rod Jensen 29
Jamahl Lolesi 27 (NZ)
David Faiumu 25 (NZ)
Motu Tony 27 (NZ)
Shaun Berrigan 29
Daniel Fitzhenry 28
Garrett Crossman 26
Ben Galea 29
Michael Dobson 22
Jake Webster 24
Brent Webb 27 (NZ)
Scott Donald 28
Clinton Toopi 28 (NZ)
Ali Lauitiiti 29 (NZ)
Francis Meli 29 (NZ)
Jason Cayless 28 (NZ)
Chris Flannery 28
Matt Petersen 28
Tevita Leo-Latu 27 (NZ)
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Louis Anderson 23 (NZ)
Vinnie Anderson 29 (NZ)
Pat Richards 26
Thomas Leuluai 23 (NZ)
Iafeta Paleaaesina 26 (NZ)
Phil Bailey 28
Cameron Phelps 23
Tim Smith 23
Crocker 28
Riddell 27

So, let’s take out the Kiwis, who don’t lose any rep stakes for playing in England and have always preferred the softer ground (and opposition) of the ESL.

That leaves;

Tame Topou 25
Ned Catic 29
Mitchell Sargent 29
Clint Greenshields 26
Aaron Gorrell 27
Dane Carlaw 28
Casey Macguire 28
Mark McLinden 29
David Howell 24
Chad Randall 27
Rod Jensen 29
Shaun Berrigan 29
Daniel Fitzhenry 28
Garrett Crossman 26
Ben Galea 29
Michael Dobson 22
Jake Webster 24
Scott Donald 28
Chris Flannery 28
Matt Petersen 28
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Pat Richards 26
Phil Bailey 28
Cameron Phelps 23
Tim Smith 23
Crocker 28
Riddell 27

Now let’s take out the players, many of us would have to consider mediocre in the NRL;

Clint Greenshields 26
Aaron Gorrell 27
Dane Carlaw 28
Casey Macguire 28
David Howell 24
Rod Jensen 29
Shaun Berrigan 29
Daniel Fitzhenry 28
Jake Webster 24
Matt Petersen 28
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Pat Richards 26
Phil Bailey 28
Tim Smith 23
Crocker 28
Riddell 27

Now, let’s narrow that list down to the really class players and add the players going to ESL next year;
(Also take out T. Smith, because he didn’t leave for cash)

Clint Greenshields 26
Shaun Berrigan 29
Jake Webster 24
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Pat Richards 26
Phil Bailey 28
Ryles 29
Crocker 28
Riddell 27

There’s the “talent†the NRL have lost to ESL.

Now the Union defectors;

Rogers 26 (at defection)
Sailor 28 (at defection)
Tuquiri 22 (at defection)

The top 3 are old news, so let’s drop them.

Cross 28
Tahu 27
Gasnier 27
Rooney 25

So, that means, talent under the age of 30, that isn’t Kiwi and currently no longer in the NRL is;

Clint Greenshields 26
Shaun Berrigan 29
Jake Webster 24
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Pat Richards 26
Phil Bailey 28
Ryles 29
Crocker 28
Riddell 27
Cross 28
Tahu 27
Gasnier 27
Rooney 25

When it’s put into perspective, I think you would have to agree, the NRL isn’t in crisis. Barring Tahu, Gasnier, King, Berrigan and maybe Bailey & Ryles, I doubt anyone playing in the ESL would be in the NRL rep (or elite) level.

Thoughts?

P.S. (FTR, has anyone ever questioned why there is only a handful of League commentators, all talking the same dribble, at the same time? I have never heard Peter Sterling mention the "exodus" or for that matter, about kicks on the 5th (last week's big problem).)

The above post does NOT imply that I think the NRL is in a position to sit back and not worry. The NRL is trying to find ways to increase player payments.

I am just highlighting that the sky isn't falling.

Good post mate. I get most of my media commentary about this from Warren Ryan and his angle is that there is a potential problem looming. They are reducing the number of non British players in the ESL over the next few seasons, meaning that the pool of money available for imports can be concentrated on the best players in the NRL, the types of players who draw the fans to the game and are used to market the game.

Like gUt said I feel that the problem is just beginning. While in the past as Hammo pointed out the players that have defected have not been of a great calibre but I just think that with the likes of Gaz and Sonny leaving and mid contract as well, the lure of the big $$$ or maybe massive is a better word will just be too much for a majority of players.

I mean $1.5 mill per season is just astronomical when put in the context of what players in NRL recieve now. I just feel that if something isnt done very soon, the recent departures will have just been the tip of the iceberg and we'll soon see players coming through our juniour systems just so the big euro clubs can wave big $$ in their face and our drawcards will keep dissapperaring!! As has been stated b4 we will become a breeding ground for the Euro clubs!!

I personally feel that Sonny and Gaz are huge losses both for the fans of the game and the marketability of our product. I feel its naieve to say another Gaz or Sonny will simply come along so we shouldnt worry, we need to stop these players from leaving in the first place so when next superstars come along there playing with the Gasniers and the SBW's to help promote our great game!!

We need to do something now b4 its too late!!

^ great sum up.
Personally, whoever wants to go, go, but you can't deny we are losing some big names...

Hammo isn't Jake Webster a Kiwi? i think he played a test for them while at the Storm.

I don't think losing players is the problem, I think it's a side-affect.

The real problem IMO will come at the the younger end of the scale.
If you are a parent of a talented kid say 11 - 15 years it will only be natural to encourage him to play union.
You can earn 3 - 4 times as much, play an easier game (physically) travel to all parts of the world, (Canada and the States have pro union comps) and if you are very good (and smart enough) you will be financially independent at a fairly young age.

Its a no brainer.

I fully agree that things are not as bad as some would have us believe, but the time issue or the amount of players leaving or that have left resently is the issue. How many of these agreed top level players have left in the last season or so or are about to.

Clint Greenshields 26
Shaun Berrigan 29
Jake Webster 24
Matt King 27
Michael Monaghan 28
Pat Richards 26
Phil Bailey 28
Ryles 29
Crocker 28
Riddell 27
Cross 28
Tahu 27
Gasnier 27
Rooney 25

Most of them... there in is the real issue, the RATE of which the players are leaving at the moment and not so much the fact that they are leaving.

How many new exciting prospects have we unearthed in the last couple of seasons, some of them genuine superstars:

Greg Inglis
Israel Folau
Feleti Mateo
Krisnan Inu
Chris Sandow
Ben Barba (only 1 game in, but he looks promising)
Mitchell Pearce
Jarrod Mullen
Brett Morris
Josh Morris
Justin Poore
Brett Stewart (been around for a while, but really stepped up the last 2 seasons)

There would be many others I've missed.

Our game is still producing more good players than it is losing. Again, that's not to put our heads in the sand, there needs to be an evolution to allow our game to retain our stars.

But it's not crisis point. So snap decisions are not required or appropriate.

Broncos85
I can't for the life of me, understand how anyone (especially anyone who has ever played a team sport) can even argue the "player exodus" and add the name of SBW in there as an example. I don't understand how people aren't understanding.....he broke contract!!! That is the reason I didn't mention him in that list. He is a totally different case. If a Hungarian Basketball team was going to offer him $2million a season right this second, he would flee France for Hungary.

Coxy said:
Our game is still producing more good players than it is losing. Again, that's not to put our heads in the sand, there needs to be an evolution to allow our game to retain our stars.

But it's not crisis point. So snap decisions are not required or appropriate.

That sums up what this thread is showing.

It isn't crisis point, no matter what Gus and Matty tell us next tv show.

The NRL has already explained they are increasing the cap and are looking at alternative means of increasing individual player payments. However people have to give them a chance. The last time mass $ was on offer easy we split the code in two.

I like that the NRL are discussing with the ATO ways of reducing the tax payable for players. This doesn't burden the clubs with having to find more cash, but increases the net earning potential of the players.

This is the SMART action I'm talking about.

The way NRL clubs, schools and players themselves train junior nowadays, it comes as no suprise the amount of excellent young talent coming through the NRL. I don't think the ESL poaching is as big a problem as it's made out to be, tbh most of the plaeyrs that do leave are just first graders - guys who can be replaced. Parramatta for example, they lose Tim Smith who imo on his day is in top 5 halves in the comp, and replace him with Kris Keating, an excellent youngster. Penrith are going to lose Priddis, but have one of the best young talents in the game, Masada Iosefa, who has already been on a tour with the Kiwis!

The NRL needs to look at 3rd party sponsorships, because i believe this is where the real money lies. For example, if Nike wants to pay Locky 150,000 a year to appear in advertisments etc, maybe make only 10% of this sponsorship count towards the cap?

Like Hammo said, the sky is definitely not falling in terms of 'great' players going OS. However, the nrl needs to look at ways other than raising the cap, which aren't going to put a financial or on field burden to clubs.

When you lose the face of the World Cup and a marketers dream who was set to help league get more Kiwi's playing the game and more women to matches in the space of a few weeks people are gonna hit the panic button. Sure we are not at a crisis point but these guys leaving the sport let alone the country in a world cup year (when we are desperately trying to lift the games international profile) is a huge step in the wrong direction and the problems the game is and will be facing have just been exaggerated 10 fold because of it.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
When you lose the face of the World Cup and a marketers dream who was set to help league get more Kiwi's playing the game and more women to matches in the space of a few weeks people are gonna hit the panic button. Sure we are not at a crisis point but these guys leaving the sport let alone the country in a world cup year (when we are desperately trying to lift the games international profile) is a huge step in the wrong direction and the problems the game is and will be facing have just been exaggerated 10 fold because of it.

When Judas sold out Jesus to the Romans...that was panic stations.

YES, SBW HAS DONE THE SAME THING, however I would walk away from RL right now, if they changed a single thing to try and keep a person like that!

I agree Gas is a big loss. SBW is a whole different ball game. That has nothing to do with $$, it has something to do with him on a personal level.

If Beckham walked out on Galaxy mid season to play for a Turkish team UNANNOUNCED, what would happen?

Hammo said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:

When Judas sold out Jesus to the Romans...that was panic stations.

YES, SBW HAS DONE THE SAME THING, however I would walk away from RL right now, if they changed a single thing to try and keep a person like that!

I agree Gas is a big loss. SBW is a whole different ball game. That has nothing to do with $$, it has something to do with him on a personal level.

If Beckham walked out on Galaxy mid season to play for a Turkish team UNANNOUNCED, what would happen?
Mmm well said.

I was quite proud of Bruno when he said that the Broncos would've let him go, because you don't want a player like that disrupting the ranks. Well said, and it was brave to say so...and also a little bit arrogant. [eusa_clap.gi

I would HOPE Bruno would let a player like that go IF THEY ASKED to be let go.

If they just ran away midseason, no notice trying to play for someone else, I'd do what the Bulldogs and NRL are doing.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • kman
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manlyman
  • Fitzy
  • phoenix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncos Maestro
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.