The Mole: (Rugby League Week) Broncos hooked on Ballin

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Brisbane are chasing Manly hooker Matt Ballin to fill the No. 9 jumper to be vacated following Michael Ennis' expected move to the Bulldogs next season.

Ballin had a previous stint at the Broncos in the development program, but wasn't wanted by coach WB.

However, the Kingaroy Ants junior has family in QLD & would love to return home.

No link, I just typed what was written.

It's on page 6, the 2nd article.

Hope I haven't broken any laws in copying this.

Interesting. Former Bronco. Further adds to my thoughts that the exodus is not entirely salary cap related.

Doubt we could afford him but I think on a consistency basis he is better than Louganis. I would love to see us get him, with Hannant and Ennis and maybe one or two more gone there will obviously be a bit left over which we were offering them so maybe we do have a chance.

http://www.manlydaily.com.au/article/20 ... ports.html

Sea Eagles hooker in quandary

Jason Avedissian
28 May 2008

OFF contract Manly hooker Matt Ballin has expressed interest in joining Brisbane next season, but would ideally prefer to stay at the Sea Eagles.

The 24-year-old Broncos junior is yet to hold talks with Manly and has attracted interest from rival NRL clubs.

The Queenslander said he would be prepared to move back home but is committed to the Sea Eagles this season, and possibly for the long haul.

V. interesting, agreed with Coxy. Although it is no secret that it was WB himself who said Ballin wasn't in the plans for the Broncos over the coming years.

That departure kinda pissed me off - always rated him as a player and he's proving his worth with Manly atm. He's also got a great Mrs who went to my high school - I'm sure she'd be stoked to come home!

I wish I knew the goss at the Broncos.

Maybe the players who are leaving were WB's favourites & since he is leaving, the club are getting rid of them.

That's my conspiracy theory, I have to come up with a reason.

Hey u may be right, cause we do seem to have the same team, team week in week out regardless of how shit plyers are e.g perry and stagg/ half & 5/8

Rate the guy and for the right money would be a good addition.

nice addition. someting tells me that henjak knows what he wants.

Russo said:
Rate the guy and for the right money would be a good addition.

Especially if Ennis goes.

He's ok. Wouldn't be very good business replacing Ennis with him, they would probably cost around the same.

ronnyd said:
He's ok. Wouldn't be very good business replacing Ennis with him, they would probably cost around the same.

I wouldn't think so Ronny. I think if Ennis leaves, which he will, it will be on quite a packet. I don't think Ballin is worth anything like what Ennis is. Maybe just over half I would say.

Ballin has potential to be good for us. I think he can become an 80min player.

He was playing 80mins last year when he was in the first grade side, for the most part.

Then Heath Le'strange came along and now he is only getting about 30mins of game time.

Would be a good pick-up, asking price would probably be low compared to Ennis and co as well.

Ennis as a brand would attract more dollars than Ballin. Ballin is relatively unknown, despite being very good for Manly over the past couple of seasons.

Likewise, Ennis has another bargaining chip in his favour - goalkicking.

Coxy said:
Ennis has another bargaining chip in his favour - goalkicking.

But only when he kicks them.

So we would be trading Ennis for Ballin...wow, what are they thinking?

less money... retain a few more young backs (Kemp,Boyd,Micheals)

Ballin's not bad at all, not by any stretch of the imagination, although I do agree that Ennis has been simply blistering out of dummy half. I guess it all depends also on the continuing form and fitness of PJ Marsh, really.

Interesting times ahead.

Unread

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • teampjta
  • Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.