NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

in every one of those cases alcohol was involved ...

in this case no alcohol was involved ...

completely different situations

I was just making a comment on the “clean skin” comment. Not about their misuse of alcohol.

How does being at a pub having a feed and putting a few coins in a pokie machine affect your body's output? Are you for real?
Had they gone to bed at outrageous hours after a few rounds with a few hookers (not of the Macca's kind) or been on the grog and picking fights, it would be a totally different situation.
This had zero impact on their performance and only looks bad because of backwards mentality duly fueled by the media sharks swimming the the NRL waters...

I am absolutely for real. They would have been better off watching a few movies, playing cards, watching match videos, studying their opposite number.

At this level these guys should be thinking and focusing on the game completely. Mental state, environment around you, foods you eat, alcohol you consume and sleep time you get all has an effect. They havnt broken any law or rules as such, but they certainly weren't giving themselves the best opportunity to be ready for Sunday. I dare you to tell me im wrong and come up with valid reasons why with experience.

Last edited:
All I can say is Boyd went to bed at 8:30 and played worse than the lot of them. But the reality is, you have a team breakfast at 7am on the day of the biggest game of the year so far, you get at least 8 hours sleep. Fifita prob got 6, the others 7 and after the pokie screens, it was prob not a good sleep. Coaching team should be teaching players about how to sleep properly before a game, how to prepare for sleep etc. Pokies ain't it. And 6 unbroken hrs isn't enough.

All their behaviour tells me is that they don’t have the willingness to make the necessary sacrifices to truly succeed.

It’s no coincidence that the very best athletes in this world are the ones that place just as much importance on preparation as they do anything else.

These same people also recognise they have only a small window to perform at their best and the rest of their life thereafter to do as they please, when they please.

For example, who believes Federer would be out playing the pokies, at any time, the night before he plays any of his matches at Wimbledon?

Sadly, it seems our boys are more like Tomic and Kyrgios than Federer and Nadal.

Might be just a coincidence but I find it quiet telling that our only win in Sydney this year was the baby Broncos upsetting the Sharks minus Oates, Gillett, Milford and Fifita.

Every other time we played in Sydney we got absolutely toweled and played lethargic. Maybe the boys have been out late throwing money down the pokes on more than one occasion on Sydney trips this year?!? [emoji848]

6f4bc1b617ea62368ed051ecd1bb1409.jpg

It even looked like Milf was falling asleep at the machines [emoji23]

All their behaviour tells me is that they don’t have the willingness to make the necessary sacrifices to truly succeed.

It’s no coincidence that the very best athletes in this world are the ones that place just as much importance on preparation as they do anything else.

These same people also recognise they have only a small window to perform at their best and the rest of their life thereafter to do as they please, when they please.

For example, who believes Federer would be out playing the pokies, at any time, the night before he plays any of his matches at Wimbledon?

Sadly, it seems our boys are more like Tomic and Kyrgios than Federer and Nadal.

Straya mate

The Queensland side that dominated for so long were often found in the pub. You are absolutely right, that wasn't the reason we got spanked by the Eels.
Not the cause of the loss but a clear insight in the lack of leadership, unprofessional approach and poor decision making we have seen on the field for 2 years. Move on the senior boys on my view. For both their lack of professionalism and lack of performance.

This is only day two of the Broncos' off season. It's going to go on and on like this, the way it did about Bennett last season.

Looks like they're going after Boyd, Macca, Gillett, Milford and White this year. Let's see how many they can get.

Hopefully all but I would settle for Boyd and Macca.

Judging by the troupe prancing off to the pokies regardless of the importance of the upcoming finals match, there is a bigger underlying issue here. Our team has a bunch of problem gamblers, not only present it seems but past also by their own admission.
Kieran Foran would fit right in, if he comes up.

Remember Ryan Tandy, it was speculated his player manager had something to do with him throwing games and producing outcomes which his syndicate could profit off in exotic bets.
That guy is currently managing Milford and Segeyaro. There is another manager that
has 10 of our players on his books.

Maybe Ryan Tandy was just the tip of the iceberg...

Not the cause of the loss but a clear insight in the lack of leadership, unprofessional approach and poor decision making we have seen on the field for 2 years. Move on the senior boys on my view. For both their lack of professionalism and lack of performance.

Macca, Gillett, Milf, Oates should have known better, and i dont even think you can give Fifita and Haas a get out because Haas especially should know the kind of standards we expect after his two incidents this year. While i still dont think what they did was overly bad, it shows to me the coach hasnt stamped his authority on this side and maybe he doesnt have the complete respect and backing 100% of the players.

Thing is, Boyd is totally professional even though his form isnt anywhere near good enough. Glenn is one of the most professional players at the club and it looks like he wont be here next year. We need some example setters now if we are going to overhaul the squad because despite what people think of Glenn and Boyd, the do all the things right in training and look after themselves well. We literally have one bloke i can see who is captain material at the club, and he is too young at the moment.

I wish - work would be a lot more fun.

No, I don't see it as some sort of awful rendezvous. Not drinking, not being loud or obnoxious, minding their own business having a punt. Who gives a shit? Do you think they should all be in bed by 9pm lights out?

The bronc's of yesteryear did a lot more than soberly put a few notes through a fruit machine.
The night before an elimination final? Yes, yes i do think they should be home in bed by 9pm.
Unacceptable on a professional level.
They couldn't wait till after the game? Get a good nights sleep the day before to ensure you don't cop a record flogging?
I'd put the house on it that Parra where night out till all hours the night before.

IMO there is no issue, these guys haven't done anything wrong. You can criticise their performance on the field without doubt, I'll join you on that.

But guys having a flutter at 9pm, 350m away from their hotel and all of them are back before midnight not having touched a drop of alcohol? Sorry, they might be athletes and we might be fans but they are young and allowed to live their life to some extent.
There is 6 other days in the week their high payed arses can do that.
I don't care if the pokie room was in the hotel they were staying at.
It would be a difference kettle of fish if it had been a regular season game, but the night before an elimination game in the finals? You have got to be joking.
It speaks of the mindset of the players, who are on top money, that they behave like this on the night before one of the biggest games of the year.
Its inviting trouble, and completely avoidable. Its poor preparation. It speaks of wrong priorities.
I am done with Milford, needs his pay cut in half to stay at the club, get rid of Oates, Gill and Macca and fine the shit out of Fifita and Haas to send a message to these young fellas that this is not how a prestigious club operates the night before a finals match.

Welcome to Harpoon Harry’s, where the Broncos’ season spun out of control — $10 at a time

This is the Sydney pub where the Broncos’ season spun out of control — $10 at a time.

In there, they were loading up the machines with $10 spins as they interacted with revellers.The players continued to play, often gambling their winnings spins on the red versus black feature.

Fifita was seen playing on his own later on that evening and was last to leave. The establishment is often thriving on a Saturday night, and it’s poker room is open until 3am, and has had a number of different guises over the year.

Darren Lockyer told WWOS: “Obviously the coach and the coaching staff is a big driver of that but the senior players in any team are the ones who have a massive influence over the culture.

“So they’re yet to release the eight names but it’s disappointing and if some of those guys involved are senior players well that’s even more disappointing. “That last game doesn’t define the season but it probably will because that’s the lasting memory people will have of the season.

“I think (Seibold) questioning their commitment was a valid point, as I said before watching those first couple of tries I was frustrated because it just highlighted a lack of desire to be in cover defence, etc. to get there and make the play, it just wasn’t there which was disappointing.

Looks like a fucking dump.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Alec
  • Mister Wright
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
  • MasterWright
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.