NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

There goes Gillett's chance of being Broncos' next captain. Then you have to question Lockyer's judgement ... "Matt Gillett should be next in line for captain"

Last edited:
Is there any suggestion that you know of that the coaching staff has advised against this?

Because really that would be the only actual issue. If they were free to roam until midnight than there’s nothing to see here whatsoever.

I’d be very surprised if the whole Parra team just said their nightly prayers and climbed into beddy-bys by 9pm.

I wouldnt have a clue tbh, but i'd doubt they got told they couldnt or there would be massive consequences now.

Wayne generally never put booze bans on his players, he put the onus and responsibility on them to do the right thing. I dont know what kind of stance Seibs has on that sort of thing, but this review could shed a lot of light on whats going wrong.

...Its the context though isn't it...we win on Sunday and this is a ....non-story really....

instead we get belted by a team cause the players are still thinking about how much coin they put through the machines...

NOW the context is playing group and management under the microscope, players told to look elsewhere....and then THIS comes out too...so now its feeding into the broader narrative way outside what it probably merits...

whats the saying..."when it rains it pours..."

You are the one looking for excuses for these players. Maybe a 58 point drubbing in a final is ok in your books.

Lol sure.

You're right. They lost 58-0 because they went out the night before a game. Players from ALL clubs, even rep sides go out the night before a game but forget that.

There are a lot of reasons why we lost so badly. This is not one of them.

What really irks me is these morons have 3 or 4 months in the off-season to let their hair down a bit. Why do it the night before an elimination final! Especially after getting flogged the week before against the dogs.

Last edited:
Lol sure.

You're right. They lost 58-0 because they went out the night before a game. Players from ALL clubs, even rep sides go out the night before a game but forget that.

There are a lot of reasons why we lost so badly. This is not one of them.

The Queensland side that dominated for so long were often found in the pub. You are absolutely right, that wasn't the reason we got spanked by the Eels.

Is this really an issue? I guess it is as social media has exploded on this topic. Grown men playing the pokies eighteen hours before kickoff is totally irrelevant to the scoreline on Sunday. This wouldn't even be a story if the Broncos had been victorious . More media sensationalism which is lapped up by it's faithful readers.

What really irks me is these morons have 3 or 4 months in the off-season to let their hair down a bit. Why do it the night before an elimination final! Especially after getting flogged the week before against the dogs.

I will speculate that because for them the season was already over, and to hell with an extra week of training and playing. Sure they wouldn't have wanted to lose that badly and draw attention to phoning it in, but I will bet none of the senior players meant to win that match.

Fans excusing this behaviour is part of the problem.

This is unacceptable. Absolute discontent for the club, members and fans.
You obviously weren't around in the 90's.

Is this really an issue? I guess it is as social media has exploded on this topic. Grown men playing the pokies eighteen hours before kickoff is totally irrelevant to the scoreline on Sunday. This wouldn't even be a story if the Broncos had been victorious . More media sensationalism which is lapped up by it's faithful readers.
But that’s the problem, they didn’t win, indeed it was a bloodbath.

You want to go out in to the wee hours of the morning the night before a sudden death game at an intimidating stadium, you better believe you’ll be called out on it when you dish up that absolute cluster-****.

It also smacks of arrogance, something these players haven’t earned the right to have.

A whole lot of media nothing. I guess they didn't get any good mad monday photos this time, so this is the story they've had to run with.

Meh. This is so not a sackable offence.

But do you know what should be? the 58-0 rubbish they dished up, THAT should be the sackable offence.

I wish - work would be a lot more fun.

No, I don't see it as some sort of awful rendezvous. Not drinking, not being loud or obnoxious, minding their own business having a punt. Who gives a shit? Do you think they should all be in bed by 9pm lights out?

The bronc's of yesteryear did a lot more than soberly put a few notes through a fruit machine.

What the old players did, doesn't matter. Because they aren't 80% excellent players, the sport is more professional, the athletes are more athletic, and there is a camera in everyone's pocket. They should have been at the hotel, preparing for an elimination final, not throwing their new contract money into pokie machines.

What the old players did, doesn't matter. Because they aren't 80% excellent players, the sport is more professional, the athletes are more athletic, and there is a camera in everyone's pocket. They should have been at the hotel, preparing for an elimination final, not throwing their new contract money into pokie machines.
and as I said to holdzy89, if they were in their room playing fortnite or online poker until late at night, would that have been more acceptable?

theres plenty of things you can sink the boot into these guys about, this is not one of them.

They can do what they like with their own money. I'm still not sure exactly what they have all meant to have done. Gone out on the pokies, maybe had a meal at the pub instead of staying in the hotel room playing Xbox or PS4 until midnight?

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Maroon4life
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • Bronx48
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Volvo Driver
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redux
  • Scorchie
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.