The NRL has no money

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
So what's the go with this bullshit? The NRL is effectively living week-to-week, drip-fed by the broadcast rights deal, despite getting record $$$ from the last two deals?

Where the **** has the money gone? What happened to the "war chest" that they proudly spoke about a few years ago? The existence of that, even if it is no longer there, suggests a decent surplus between what the broadcast deal is worth, and the outgoings to the clubs, so where is that surplus going?

I'm with a few others here. Let the NRL go broke and hopefully a new comp can be started up without the baggage of the NSWRL and their idiotic, short-sighted and vested interests.

So what's the go with this bullshit? The NRL is effectively living week-to-week, drip-fed by the broadcast rights deal, despite getting record $$$ from the last two deals?

Where the **** has the money gone? What happened to the "war chest" that they proudly spoke about a few years ago? The existence of that, even if it is no longer there, suggests a decent surplus between what the broadcast deal is worth, and the outgoings to the clubs, so where is that surplus going?

I'm with a few others here. Let the NRL go broke and hopefully a new comp can be started up without the baggage of the NSWRL and their idiotic, short-sighted and vested interests.
They give $13m to the clubs each year dont they??

That's $208m per year straight up... given the salary cap is $9-10m the clubs should have $3-4m surplus each year, but I bet they've got nothing in the bank either.

they reportedly have 75 million in the bank ...

one issue is that they've raised the grant to 13m ... which is 208m per year between the 16 clubs.
IIRC correctly the TV deal was around $2 billion over 5 years meaning that half of that is gone straight away just in the club grants.

then they need to help fund things like grassroots footy, probably the reserve grade comps etc ... you've got wages for the NRL staff, it all ads up ...

if they NRL was forced to suspend, that 75 million would go pretty quickly

The comp, the bias, the NSW-centric policy decisions, the lop-sided suspensions that seem to favour everyone bar the Broncos, the overpricing of food and drink at the games and the way a few commentators on Ch 9 can have so much influence has all added up to me going steadily off our great game.

I'm very much with those that are hoping for the NRL to go bust and from the ashes a truly national board of representatives rise to run the game on a purely professional basis.

Will it ever eventuate? I doubt it but if it did the first thing they should do is strip that fuckin drug cheat Johns of his immortal status and get rid of the embarrassment. How he even got nominated let alone selected before Alfie is a travesty that deserves a royal commission.

It's an old boys club. Of course they have no money. They've never been run well.

It will be postponed. And if it's not, I hope the Warriors sue them for every last dollar.

Let the weaklings drop off the back, can this nswrl bias run comp and let the strong clubs rise above. I don’t see any NHL and NBA clubs begging for money.... it’s a shit look shut up.

Let the weaklings drop off the back, can this nswrl bias run comp and let the strong clubs rise above. I don’t see any NHL and NBA clubs begging for money.... it’s a shit look shut up.

Look at the money backing those big sports compared to the NRL. It's rubbish to even compare them. ****, in some of those sports, more than what the NRL owns is paid to a single employee.

I do agree though. Hands in the air. This is a fucking great opportunity for the NRL to not kick a team out. Let a few of those shitty Sydney clubs die. The NRL will be better on the other side if they do.

Let them eat cake.
Cept in this case the peasants are not revolting, they're just a little off putting. It's the glitterati who doth protest too much.

Look at the money backing those big sports compared to the NRL. It's rubbish to even compare them. ****, in some of those sports, more than what the NRL owns is paid to a single employee.

I do agree though. Hands in the air. This is a fucking great opportunity for the NRL to not kick a team out. Let a few of those shitty Sydney clubs die. The NRL will be better on the other side if they do.
It was an unfair comparison I’ll admit but they still rely on fans to cover a lot of the costs.

Yes too your second statement.

Too much propping up of the Sydney clubs that can’t afford to survive on their own + mismanagement of funds.

What happens to player contracts if the NRL survives but is broke? I can already see that the predicted increases in salary cap won’t be happening and if anything it may see a decrease for some seasons. This has huge ramifications for clubs that have signed players on big long term contracts.

What happens to player contracts if the NRL survives but is broke? I can already see that the predicted increases in salary cap won’t be happening and if anything it may see a decrease for some seasons. This has huge ramifications for clubs that have signed players on big long term contracts.

The clubs pay them, so I assume it would be no different to if you or I had a work contract and that company went bust. You look for a new job.

The clubs pay them, so I assume it would be no different to if you or I had a work contract and that company went bust. You look for a new job.

there’s just no way this doesn’t end in a massive mess hey.

it helps that the teams in those leagues are owned by billionaires

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • MrMoore
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.