The Positives from 2014 season moving into 2015

How exactly has he done that?

Again, what is the basis of that comment?

Have you used the word "great" incorrectly there?

Well, he did say CAN BE. It looks like you don't know what that means.

How about telling us why he can't be?

With the way he is developing, he very well could be up there in the very near future.

Last edited:
Copley looks like a gun attacker but a horrible defender.

Well, he did say CAN BE. It looks like you don't know what that means.

How about telling us why he can't be?

With the way he is developing, he very well could be up there in the very near future.

I put the lotto in, so i CAN win it, tell me why I can't.

Copley looks like a gun attacker but a horrible defender.

His defence is fine one on one. His technique is quite good. The problem is with the sliding defence and it comes back to the structure. Playing at Left Centre for the first time since his U20's days and with a brand new 5/8 inside him in Barba, it wasn't pretty.

Hopefully he's a permanent Centre next season and can work on that structure on the Left.

Mainly reiterating what has been said before, but anyhow:

Hunt making the most of his chances. Despite still needing to work on some aspects of his game, he's been the most influential half we've had since Locky. Will really shine next year when paired with...

Milford. We really could have used him this year but I believe his absence will have been a good experience for Hunt. Next year he won't be doing it himself. With Milford's speed, step and instincts, we have some real quality in both the 6 (assuming he plays there) and 7.

Copley. Yes, the hype may be a little premature at this point, but he's really proved many doubters (myself included) wrong upon his return from last year's setback. Like Hunt, has some work to do, but I think he's proven to be a first string option, and will be a crucial part of our side in 2015 and beyond.

Macca. Form has been somewhat patchy since return from injury, but prior to that he was ripping it up over the 80, consistently. Speed of service still his weak point, but his defence, toughness and decision making are all hallmark qualities in my books.

Fitness. I believe Corvo has really made a difference this year. Glad to hear he's expected to stick around when Bennett brings his staff with him. We're noticeably fitter and more durable than years past. It's allowed us to hang tough to the end where we'd previously have capitulated. If not for some questionable bench choices and some uninspired game planning, I believe it would have paid even more dividends.

On that final point, I believe the change in coaching will prove to be a winning choice. Wish Griffin all the best, but I believe he was offered every opportunity to prove his worth. Such is the nature of the business. Bennett may not be the most innovative coach in the game, and his game planning may not be much more expansive than Hook. I do believe he has a more tactical approach to the game, and brings some old school, no nonsense attitude to the role. To that end, I believe he'll be better at getting the players to buy into his system. Self belief does crazy things.

A shake up to the establishment. Gee gone. Griffin gone. Thaiday stripped of the captaincy. Some fresh blood brought in. You can argue some scapegoating was at play but we had become complacent. A shake up was just what we needed!

His defence is fine one on one. His technique is quite good. The problem is with the sliding defence and it comes back to the structure. Playing at Left Centre for the first time since his U20's days and with a brand new 5/8 inside him in Barba, it wasn't pretty.

Hopefully he's a permanent Centre next season and can work on that structure on the Left.

That's the same problem as with most bad edge defenders though. Gillett can tackle well too, but his decision making and lateral defence is what lets him down. It's easy to say that it will be fixed in the future, but it rarely does. Hodges couldn't defend for like 10 years. Maybe they expect it to be fixed automatically.

no one is saying Copley is a great center right now ... but we are saying he is on track to become one.

at this point in time, he is still our biggest danger and best strike weapon in our team

Certainly has the potential to score 120-130 tries for the club but I also said that about Chris Walker, doesn't have the speed to ever be in the same class as Pearl but certainly has the potential to be a very lethal strike weapon in the years to come.

How exactly has he done that?

By leading the comp in line breaks, just being off the top tryscoring lists and being a player that has often come up with a key try or line break when we need it. That is a strike weapon. I never called him great but he's having a very good year in attack.

Main positive

We are not the Raiders

That's something isn't it. No matter how bad we've been in attack or how bad our defensive structures have been this year, we've never given up as a team and we always turn up for each other. We haven't been blown off the park once this year. You certainly can't say the same for the Raiders, or a few other teams in the comp this year.

Copley is not a great centre yet, and might never be one, but he has all the trappings. Another work in progress like Oates, and for different reasons, Barba as our ideal 5/8.

Copley's footwork, especially for a bigger bloke, is simply awesome for mine, as well as his power, as much as speed off the mark. He may not have the outright pace of Renouf but he has the footwork IMO, and what he lacks in outright speed, he is very quick off the mark, together with that footwork and strength.

Directly comparing Copley to Renouf was my way of saying IF Copley matures as I hope, his effective is potentially as good as the Pearl's, rather than a specific attribute.

I still reckon Oates ought to be Copley's centre partner, assuming Oates matures as I hope. Later in his career, back row for sure, but not necessarily.

I also found it interesting to see the Knights' defensive structures and effort today. Bring on 2015!

There is one negative that I am not looking forward to next year.

Seeing the 2015 player profiles put up and Yow Yeh not being on there.

Edit: Didn't quite know where else to put this, so I put it in here since it involves 2015..

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.