NEWS The psychology behind how Broncos can get out of form slump

FMD that was depressing re watching that video. Our defence needs more than a bit of psychology. Nobody is sure on what to do. Our markers don't work hard enough which causes indecision from the A defender and transfers out along the line with guys trying to cover the inside defender who is a step behind where they should be.
It still comes down to fitness levels IMHO. When you are fit and know it you don't look for rests at marker or behind the ruck (Haas) .
Even if we defend well against Melb we probably won't score unless off a kick.
Still, start with a bit of trust and good defence and build from there is the only way forward.

In regard to number 1, I doubt they would have listened anyway.
It probably would have depended on what the advice was.
If he had said good idea go ahead then they would have felt vindicated and done exactly what they did.
If he had said don't do it you'll completely **** the club for years they would have felt he was and idiot with no idea and still done exactly what they did.
Bottom line is this board and ceo may get advice sometimes but will always do whatever they want and when it turns to shit they just keep digging.

Wanting a coach gone for a string of horrific performances isn't a problematic position in my book, especially when there's no end in sight and the man seems bereft of ideas.

The bolded bit is the key thing for mine. Has he learned? He's certainly been presented with a number of these games to learn from, but there's no evidence at this stage that he's even begun learning from them. Granted we don't get to see behind the curtain so we can only judge based on the words and game day performances offered up - those really aren't promising. Even our wins owed more to individual performances than a cohesive team effort. I don't have any faith he can turn things around, nor should I be accepting of sub-mediocrity.

Anything and everything you say, also @McHunt above is relevant, and needs to be part of the mix, but a part, not the whole. The whole here is more than the sum of its parts. Focusing on one or a few bits without situating it in the overall context is a waste of time. It will change nothing.

If Seibold can't adapt, then he's gone, same for Milford, Boyd, and anyone who won't see themselves as part of the problem, and accepts that willingly, and equally willingly, stops talking and starts walking it. Otherwise, yes, they go, and go quick smart. Nobody can hide however, first, there has to be a coordinated plan, as the article above states, before anything meaningful can happen.
[automerge]1595385267[/automerge]
Well my other half is a clinical psychologist, so you might have to excuse me if I'm a little skeptical of meeting the Buddha on the road, so to speak. Like I said when I posted this in the other thread, his observations ring true, but I'm not sure his remedy will work. But, of course, it's worth a shot.

Another theory is there's a cancer within the squad. Maybe it's a single player. Maybe it's a faction of cynical players who suck the life out of the squad. Maybe it's that a few players are being paid more than their value. Maybe it's one or more players who don't respect the captain. Maybe the captain can't direct with authority. Maybe the coach's plan is too hard to implement. Maybe no-one can follow the coach's plan. Maybe there's a general disdain for the coach and his plan. Maybe the coach doesn't have a plan.

What's certain is there is no talk within the team. No one is directing attack or defence. No one is barking orders. The best you get is the dummy half doing that pointing thing before he bends over, which is no indication of anything.

My hunch is the coach is shot. There is no confidence in his vision. The other is Patty is out of his depth as captain, at least for now. Boyd and Milford don't want to be there. They're just turning up for their paychecks. And there is some sort of passive aggression going on.

The first thing I would do is make Payne Haas captain for the rest of the season. He's the only one who's led by example, for the last two years. If he doesn't have respect no one does. The time is now.

The second thing I would do is **** off Seibold, Boyd and Milford. Seibold, because he's been a proven failure. Boyd and Milford to show we don't tolerate mediocrity.

See above.

For mine, making Haas the captain won't work. He is wet behind the ears. Same as Carrigan. Boyd was sadly, our intended captain, with Glenn next in line.

At the moment, I can't really see anyone who can step up, however for mine, Carrigan is our best option until Glenn returns. And he isn't perfect either. Our lack of on field leadership is a huge issue.

As for Seibold, he can't turn this around on his own. Even Trent Robinson has a clinical psychologist as part of his coaching staff. This is on both Seibold and the Board to bring one in NOW and start fixing what nobody in the club is capable of fixing. We are doomed otherwise.

As I said, if Seibold won't come to the party, he has to go, and same for the Board, now that the real problem has been exposed and analysed and, a solution put forward.

Last edited:
Nothing will work short time, maybe the Storm can help us in that regard.
I hope they hold no quarter and score as much points as possible.
0-100 scoreline on Friday should change the mindset in no time, with a few much needed sackings on top.

0-100 scoreline on Friday should change the mindset in no time, with a few much needed sackings on top.

... but sackings only after some overall plan, some concrete strategy is put in place and players, and also the coach, found out for not being interested to take part, and own their shit

Timing and rhythm you say....hmmmmm, where have I seen that mentioned before????

100 nil isn't possible but 54-0 is which is bad enough and will have the Bronco hierarchy treading water for at least another week.

It is sweet that you think change will happen.

More blaming? What's the point? Other coaches had 7 years to evolve, with support from an intelligent board, and all players on-board.

Seibold is essentially a rookie coach who walked into a cess pool without gum boots. He made mistakes, possibly hubris being one of them. he has now learned the hard way. The test of his mettle is what he does now, and that goes way beyond a roster change

No blame, just my take on things.
So the board may have seen an upcoming vibrant young team of outstanding footballers that needed the same in a coach. So they went out and picked up the Dally M coach of the year who told them he was the man for the job. But in reality they have an inexperienced team with an inexperienced coach. A situation they hope to resolve by holding a review at the end of the season. They all need help.

Last edited:
Having said that, we had better hear of The Plan real quick or the rest of this season will turn out to be a zombie apocalypse, but one where the zombies lose

We don't need to hear the plan ... as long as they have one.

what we need as fans is to see the plan in action

Yes, absolutely right. Unfortunately, we aren't seeing it.

I am willing to cut the coach slack for the massive injury toll, not much he can do about that but the lack of heart and direction on the field, that has to be on him (and the players to an extent too).

Yes, absolutely right. Unfortunately, we aren't seeing it.

I am willing to cut the coach slack for the massive injury toll, not much he can do about that but the lack of heart and direction on the field, that has to be on him (and the players to an extent too).

.... and the club as a whole

The red flag waved after we were flogged in the finals in 2019, and then 2 weeks in after the COVID break. That's when the club ought to have acted. Hindsight, yes. Still now we know. Now is the time to act. There are no excuses for the club, for Seibold for the players as of now
[automerge]1595391799[/automerge]

I certainly want to hear the plan, that something is happening

Last edited:
But do you expect him to do? Sack the coach - then what?
B88928125z1 20170907135747 000g9logs5q2 0 mwazt30lqqyt7p6rvo2 ct1880x930

100-0 would be kind of funny tbh

If they haven’t taken steps towards fixing things this week, and if they turn up with the same attitude they had against the the Tigers (about the worst I’ve ever seen in the NRL) you just never know lol. 40-0 at half time and it’s on!

100-0 would be kind of funny tbh

If they haven’t taken steps towards fixing things this week, and if they turn up with the same attitude they had against the the Tigers (about the worst I’ve ever seen in the NRL) you just never know lol. 40-0 at half time and it’s on!
I don't know if they're attitude was the problem but a losing mindset can become ingrained. After watching the replay without sound I could see guys running hard, making solid tackles and trying their guts out. I suggested a way forward and what I'd do a few weeks back. Sooner or later things will turn around.

Active Now

• Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • BroncosAlways
  • simplythebest
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.