NEWS The Sam Burgess broken promise that cost Souths the signature of Payne Haas

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The Sam Burgess broken promise that cost Souths the signature of Payne Haas

Michael Chammas
Chief Reporter
Thu 30 May 2019, 02:41 PM

Sam Burgess didn't know it at the time, but a broken promise to Payne Haas would cost South Sydney the signature of the most sought-after teenager in the country.

Inside a Redfern café three years ago, Haas sat alongside Burgess and Michael Maguire.

Haas had flown with his father from their Gold Coast home to Sydney to meet the Rabbitohs - one of 12 clubs chasing the in-demand 16-year-old.

The now 19-year-old prop, who on Wednesday night will make his State of Origin debut for NSW after just 10 NRL games, was star struck in the company of Burgess.

So when the Englishman volunteered to venture to Penrith later that week to watch Haas play for Keebra Sports High in the GIO Cup final, the Rabbitohs had all but sealed the signature of the gentle giant.

"Before the game I was looking around for him," Haas said.

"But he didn’t come. I was a kid. It hurt me a bit. I used to love Souths. My dad’s a mad Souths fan. And Sam Burgess was someone I grew up idolising. It’s funny how things impact you when you’re young.

"I was pretty close to signing there. The only reason I didn’t go any further with it was because Sammy told me he was going to come to my game. But he brushed me so I was like ‘oh don’t worry then, I’m not coming to South Sydney’."

It’s a story Haas would later tell Wayne Bennett during their time together at the Broncos.

So when South Sydney played against Brisbane earlier this month, Bennett told Burgess of the impact his no-show had on Haas.

"Sam wasn’t happy with that," Bennett joked.

Burgess reacted accordingly.

"He came up to me after that game at ANZ Stadium a few weeks ago," Haas said of Burgess.

"He said ‘I’m sorry I didn’t come to your game’. He actually couldn’t remember that he did say that, but he said if he did tell me that, he’s so sorry he didn’t come.

"I don’t hold any grudges against him. He’s a legend of a player and a legend of a person. I think it was all part of the plan. I believe I was destined to be at the Broncos and that’s what happened."

At that stage, Haas had narrowed it down to four clubs – the Storm, Rabbitohs, Titans and Eels.

After putting a line through the Rabbitohs, Haas decided he would sign with Melbourne.

Then Bennett called.

"He said he was walking out the door to catch a plane down to Melbourne and do the deal, with his dad," Bennett said.

"I told him to come and see me. So he did. I couldn’t sell you a car, I couldn’t sell you much in life, but I can sell you on playing football and I can sell you on playing for the Broncos. I’m good at that."

Haas said the phone call changed the direction of his life.

"I was about to sign with Storm that day," Haas said.

"I had my contract there and had already packed my bags to go to Storm pre-season. Then Wayne called. We had a heart to heart and persuaded me to rip my Melbourne Storm contract up and sign with Brisbane.

"He said he wouldn’t be able to see me leave my family at such a young age. He said it would be a real disaster. He said how much family means to him and said ‘your family means a lot to you don’t they’. He said Brisbane can make me the best possible player I can be, but also keep you with your family."

That was enough for Haas to sign on the dotted line.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/30...that-cost-souths-the-signature-of-payne-haas/

Thanks Sam, just like your game you're always good for gifting us an advantage through a dropped ball. This was a monumental dropped ball.
Ha, you stole my exact thought when i was reading the article.

They take The Jet , we get The Haas ! No worries [emoji106]

Karma huh....
[automerge]1559200101[/automerge]
though not surprised Melbourne were right there....they are a cut above when it comes to recruitment, but glad we managed to persued Haas..

Last edited:
I'm hearing Seibold gave the order for Burgess to not attend that game, in turn ensuring Payne would sign with Brisbane. Seibs knew he would coaching the Broncs in 2019.

Thanks Seibold. Ya bloody Legend!

Was Seibs even at Souths in 2016?

Thank you Sammy boy and thank you Wayne.

I just really hope Haas stays in rugby league and becomes a Bronco for life.

Active Now

• kwomo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Ffs...
  • Wolfie
  • Confidor
  • Strop
  • NSW stables
  • mitch222
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Evander
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dexter
  • mystico
  • Yellowfella
  • bert_lifts
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • broncotville
  • Big Del
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.