The simple trick that's turned the Broncos around

He is going well working with a highly competent halfback called Adam Reynolds instead of a potato otherwise known as Kodi Nikorima as kept in the same position each week by Seibold.
Don’t forget that he also has a dynamic, skillful hooker by the name of Damien Cook instead of an ineffective “ball passer” in McCullough.

It's a pity Seibold doesn't give his young brigade a chance, instead of relying on broken down old crocks and players who continually fail in their positions.

He's debuted two young forwards in the first five weeks, average age of the squad is third youngest 23.5 in the NRL Dogs the youngest with 22 and average game experience is 10th (just over 70) again youngest is Dogs with 52 games.

What player would you have debuted by now? That you've watched extensively and can comment on why he deserves a shot using game related examples?

He's debuted two young forwards in the first five weeks, average age of the squad is third youngest 23.5 in the NRL Dogs the youngest with 22 and average game experience is 10th (just over 70) again youngest is Dogs with 52 games.

What player would you have debuted by now? That you've watched extensively and can comment on why he deserves a shot using game related examples?

I don't care about forwards, it is the backs/halfback causing us just as many problems. Why doesn't he **** Nikorima off and put him at 14 where he has previously excelled!

I don't watch a lot of the ISC or junior games admitedly, but I have seen enough of Tanah Boyd to know he is a superstar in the making. Penrith debuted Cleary when he was a youngster and he has gone on to represent NSW at a young age. Why can't we take a chance and give one of our clearly talented halves a chance? Boyd showed in the Junior Kangaroos games that he has it all.

Last edited:
I think with a lot of players, especially halves, they don't start becoming consistent until their early-mid 20s. Cleary, Brooks and co are clearly still developing, but are already being paid massive money.

Of course there are always a few freaks like KHunt, Folau, SBW etc. who start to look consistently great even in their late teens. Not a lot of halves though.

...but then you also have to balance that vs. some other desperate side stealing them.

We have Dearden signed up for quite a while, so I'd let him develop naturally for a bit longer in QLD Cup. If we bring someone in, bring in SOS.

Last edited:
I think with a lot of players, especially halves, they don't start becoming consistent until their early-mid 20s. Cleary, Brooks and co are clearly still developing, but are already being paid massive money.

Of course there are always a few freaks like KHunt, Folau, SBW etc. who start to look consistently great even in their late teens. Not a lot of halves though.

...but then you also have to balance that vs. some other desperate side stealing them.

We have Dearden signed up for quite a while, so I'd let him develop naturally for a bit longer in QLD Cup. If we bring someone in, bring in SOS.

Some good points made Alec mate. In my opinion though, Tanah shits all over Dearden, who I think will turn out to be your average run of the mill halfback. Boyd is a carbon copy of DCE and I am pretty sure if he signed to some clubs he would be on the verge of debuting already. Not us though, we are stuck in an ever-recurring timewarp with Nikorima.

Last edited:
I don't care about forwards, it is the backs/halfback causing us just as many problems. Why doesn't he **** Nikorima off and put him at 14 where he has previously excelled!

I don't watch a lot of the ISC or junior games admitedly, but I have seen enough of Tanah Boyd to know he is a superstar in the making. Penrith debuted Cleary when he was a youngster and he has gone on to represent NSW at a young age. Why can't we take a chance and give one of our clearly talented halves a chance? Boyd showed in the Junior Kangaroos games that he has it all.

Boyd hasn't played in three weeks.
He's missed 15 tackles in three games and the 27th most in the ISC without playing for three weeks.

He hasn't handled the physical game of playing against men.

He's missed 15 tackles in three games and the 27th most in the ISC without playing for three weeks.

Thank you, I have been trying to explain this but it does not seem to sink in with some.

Ok so maybe his defensive game needs a fair bit of work. I will retract my earlier statements that he is ready to play NRL and should be given his chance now. I was wrong.

But please, somebody, anybody but Nikorima at half. This bloke has missed his fair share of tackles too and offers virtually nothing in steering the team around the park.

Last edited:

We have two Tanah Boyds defending at 6 and 7 already. Clearly defence is not overly high on our agenda. People are crying out for someone who can organise out team, out defence in those positions cannot get much worse.

If we aren't willing to blood a rook than give O'Sullivan his chance. If that doesn't work then let's pick someone else up as soon as we can.

Missing tackles is the last stat anyone should use for this purpose. Nikorima missed 22 tackles against the cheats, dragqueens and grubs (8, 7, 6). I have no idea why people would want him defending in the ruck.
The best thing you can say about Kodi, is that he at least put his body there, unlike his captain...

Nevertheless, I never understood this obsession some have about a half's defense. It will almost always be the weakest link in a team.
Sure, some are a bit worse than others, which is why having a guy like Gillett around is pretty handy, or a Gavin Cooper for Thurston, or a Tunza for Locky, etc...
It comes with the territory and is supposed to be made up for with attack and organisation.
While Niko does have his moments, he won't ever be a halfback, and his deficiencies don't make up for the benefits in the 7. He's a fullback or a running 5/8 at best.

I honestly don't know who is playing well enough to claim the position, and Dearden is obviously still a kid who probably needs a bit more maturing and toughening up, but I can't imagine anyone in the ISC being much worse for the task at hand.

Said it before and maintain it. You can't dump the captain just like that, but you can move him out of that critical position, so he can hide on the wing (while Isaako reflects on his form in the ISC), then slot Kodi at FB and someone, anyone at HB. In the end you're only dropping one player, while giving the spine a much needed shake up.

Of course, to make @Morkel happy, it all stands and falls with respecting the footy, completing your sets and attitude to defense.

If our aim is to wait for a half that's a good defender then we will be waiting for a very very long time.

Most halves are bog average defenders, even some of the best currently running around are bog average defenders. Our current halves are bog average defenders. There is too much focus on defence.

James Maloney is one of the worst defenders in the comp, but he has guided a side to their first GF in 9 years (Warriors), and has guided two teams to a premiership in his first year at the clubs and one of them to their first ever premiership (Roosters, Sharks).

Halves that are solid/good defenders are rare.

It's a forwards job to protect their halves, to keep their tackle load to a minimum so they aren't tired out by the opposition.

What a half can bring to a side in regards to attack, game management etc is absolutely the only thing that should be focused on. Forget about defence.

Yep, as long as the half delivers in attack, you just do what you can to protect them in defence. Even if you put a shittier, defensive minded 2nd rower or centre to protect them.

He is going well working with a highly competent halfback called Adam Reynolds instead of a potato otherwise known as Kodi Nikorima as kept in the same position each week by Seibold.
Mate. Nikorima was our best back. If it weren't for him it'd have been 32 nil

You just outlined exactly why you don't understand how football works

Missing tackles is the last stat anyone should use for this purpose. Nikorima missed 22 tackles against the cheats, dragqueens and grubs (8, 7, 6). I have no idea why people would want him defending in the ruck.
The best thing you can say about Kodi, is that he at least put his body there, unlike his captain...

Nevertheless, I never understood this obsession some have about a half's defense. It will almost always be the weakest link in a team.
Sure, some are a bit worse than others, which is why having a guy like Gillett around is pretty handy, or a Gavin Cooper for Thurston, or a Tunza for Locky, etc...
It comes with the territory and is supposed to be made up for with attack and organisation.
While Niko does have his moments, he won't ever be a halfback, and his deficiencies don't make up for the benefits in the 7. He's a fullback or a running 5/8 at best.

I honestly don't know who is playing well enough to claim the position, and Dearden is obviously still a kid who probably needs a bit more maturing and toughening up, but I can't imagine anyone in the ISC being much worse for the task at hand.

Said it before and maintain it. You can't dump the captain just like that, but you can move him out of that critical position, so he can hide on the wing (while Isaako reflects on his form in the ISC), then slot Kodi at FB and someone, anyone at HB. In the end you're only dropping one player, while giving the spine a much needed shake up.

Of course, to make @Morkel happy, it all stands and falls with respecting the footy, completing your sets and attitude to defense.

If you're struggling with the defensive workload at ISC level it shows that maybe you need a bit more time to mature before you can handle the workload in NRL. Six missed tackles at ISC would become 10 at NRL.

If he was 23 and missing five tackles but doing the attacking competent of a halves' job that is one thing but these guys aren't physically handling it yet.

They're not missing tackles either, they're not physically there. If you're gauging if a 18 year old is up to it then defence is pretty important in deciding for me.

It's the first thing that will go when they're fatigued and under pressure so at the very least I want to know your body is going to be in the spot to at least effect a slow down or stoppage.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Rambstien
  • Astro
  • Mustafur
  • bazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • Manifesto
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.