The Thurston myth

I think Lockyer's time is up too, I just hope he bows out on his own. His form in the World cup was exceptional last year winning motm in a beaten side. Give him the 4-series then let him go on his way. Plus the Thurston/Smith/Lockyer combination is in pretty good form. (on that note I dont think Hunt OR Slater should be fullback, Hayne then?>_)

Thurston >>>> Kimmorley when they're at their best.

I've never seen Thurston truly dominate in the Kangaroo jersey. Kimmorley did it with aplomb in his prime. In fact, Kimmorley has probably been Australia's best halfback since Langer. He was far more dominant there than Johns ever was.

But yes, I think it's all for nought. As Franonymoustu said, Thurston's the incumbent so he'll remain. And if Lockyer wants to play he will play and be captain. And by next year Kimmorley will be too old to consider for rep duty.

mrslong said:
I think Lockyer's time is up too, I just hope he bows out on his own. His form in the World cup was exceptional last year winning motm in a beaten side. Give him the 4-series then let him go on his way. Plus the Thurston/Smith/Lockyer combination is in pretty good form. (on that note I dont think Hunt OR Slater should be fullback, Hayne then?>_)

Thurston >>>> Kimmorley when they're at their best.

I agree, especially about Lockyer. I hope he bows out on his own, but I also hope he has the prescence of mind to know when to quit, and I really believe that time is coming up soon.

mrslong said:
on that note I dont think Hunt OR Slater should be fullback, Hayne then?
There's no way Hunt will be in the team.

IMO it should be Slater at fullback, Hayne on the wing. They can mix and match during the game.

Tend to agree. Bit of a lack of quality wingers at the moment, especially if Folau hasn't proven his fitness.

1. Slater
2. Hayne
3. Inglis (court pending, if not then Tonga)
4. Hodges
5. Folau

What a backline!

Id have Tonga over Jennings every day. Jennings failed to do anything in the origin series, and thats when he was running at Lockyer, Hunt and Folau - 2 of the worst 1 on 1 defenders in the game, and folau whos not really that good defensively. Tonga on the other hand has been in superb form.

Thurston and Lockyer is fine as a halves pairing IMO. It's true that they both play the 5/8th role, but they do it on either side of the field (Thurston plays 5/8th mostly on the left and Lockyer on the right). It works fine because Cam Smith can do the halfback role from hooker.

It's fine, but it would be much better with 2 halves who are actually in form, playing well. Thurston is, Lockyer unfortunately isn't, and hasn't all year.

No, not everything - but origin is a good reference of how a player goes in a pressure-cooker situation, like test matches can be. There have been many players who set the world on fire for a while in club matches, but simply failed to fire in representative games. Jennings has done that so far, Tonga hasn't. Tonga has been injured most of the last 3 years, you can't hold that against him. At the moment he's playing the house down, and he got a points decision in the Origin.

Tonga did play well in the origin games he played in, Jennings was a little MIA, but I would hardly say that was his fault given how the rest of the NSW team went. He never really got any opportunities. Put Jennings in a side with a ridiculously good forward pack and great halves and I have no doubt that he'll tear the opposition apart more so than Tonga could.

Are you guys forgetting how good Tonga was before his injuries? He was the best centre in the game by a mile!

No, not forgetting at all. But at the moment he's not in that form, nor is he an incumbent, so I think they have to go with club form and Jennings has it all over Tonga.

Like I said, Origin form counts. It shows the player can handle the big time. Tonga passed with flying colours (even though he'd already played origin before), Jennings failed.

You seriously don't think that had anything to do with the teams around them though?

of course it did - but Tonga stood up in defence and attack, Jennings failed in both. Having good forwards doesn't change Jennings' (in)ability to beat Lockyer or Hunt 1-on-1 despite running at them every time he got the ball in Origin 1.

Tonga has been in great form all year. Sure he hasn't scored as many tries or made as many line breaks, but in the stats he wins basically every other category this year. Check on NRL.com if you don't believe me :)

But to be a good centre you have to be scoring tries. Wasn't that (one of) your reasons for claiming Michaels was not playing well last year? :P

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • marw
  • ezpz
  • TimWhatley
  • Manlyman
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • GCBRONCO
  • barker
  • Tim K
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Morepudding
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.