The Thurston myth

and he's only just turned 24, he's gonna be greater than Andrew Johns! (the jury is still out on whether he'll beat Alfy Langer)

Man of the Match in Origin 1 last night.

Scored a try. Goal kicking was on fire. Set up loads of breaks.

Has scored 80 points in his last five games.

The LOL's continue at the title of this threat and at Thurston deniers in general!

Yeah but Coxy will still use his "but he isn't a halfback argument". The guy is a gun player and has been for years, the last month though has been simply superb from him.

LOLZIPOPS indeed.

By all means, keep talking about JT BHQ; NRL's most over rated ever!!!

This should be stickied until origins over :)

The Gymp said:
Yeah but Coxy will still use his "but he isn't a halfback argument". The guy is a gun player and has been for years, the last month though has been simply superb from him.

At least Gymp gets it.

Does anyone think Thurston played a "halfback's" game on Wednesday? No. Lockyer was the one doing all the organising, all the 1% stuff, and Thurston was able to do what he does best - the glory plays.

So if anything that just backed up my opinion. Lockyer might as well have had 7 on his back, and Thurston 6.

I've ventured my opinion and yet dipsticks like m1c insist on trying to prove me wrong by not actually disproving my original argument.

I'm not the one that needs to let it go. I think people need to just agree with me that Thurston isn't a halfback. He will not be remembered alongside Johns, Langer, Stuart, Sterling et al as a great number 7.

He WILL be remembered as a great Queensland and Australian player, and possibly as one who changed the definition of what a halfback does....time will tell.

Maybe he is a 5/8th or maybe it's just that the role of a halback is changing, but regardless of what number he has on his back, I know I'd much prefer him to be in the team than not

Agree. His form of the past 4 weeks has been outstanding.

And as I said, Lockyer and Smith are playing the role of the traditional number 7 so it's not really a problem. My concern was Lockyer not being able to do that role and thus we have two chiefs and nobody to be a planner. Hence my desire for Prince to be there.

But he'll just have to wait until Lockyer retires from rep duties...probably this year.

But what organizing does Thurston not do? He id pretty much all the kicking, was first receiver for nearly all attacking plays and was running the of the most of the angle lines for the forwards (with smith)?? He also won man of the match without a successful show and go [icon_wink

We have had this discussion many times Coxy and I agree with you to an extent because I don't think the way the game is now too many guys can call themselves out and out 7's. As we have discussed Lockyer is basically a 7 and JT plays a freer role for QLD (when we are on the front foot particularly) but when we were in our own half I think JT showed a lot of organisation and responsibility on a number of occasions and probably more so than in past matches. The part of your general JT diatribe I disagree on is how good you think he is, I just don't think you rate him as highly as a footballer (regardless of his role) as high as you should.

Just because Thurston is not the traditional Allan Langer-type halfback, doesn't make him any less a halfback.

Jeba said:
Just because Thurston is not the traditional Allan Langer-type halfback, doesn't make him any less a halfback.

I think it probably does, but when you put him in a team next to Lockyer who plays like a 7 it doesn't matter what number is on his back he will tear sides to shreds. For NQ of late much of his work has been tearing sides apart singlehandedly or with the help of Bowen.

But he does the organising in the Cowboys yeh? And took them to a Grand Final yeh? And has them in the top 8 at the moment? Like I said, he is not your traditional halfback, but he is still a damn fine halfback, and has been for years now.

He is a damn fine player playing in the halves. Payne does much of their "organizational work" and Bowen and JT pick defenses apart, nothing wrong with it but it doesn't make JT a great halfback just makes him a great halves player especially if you take Coxy's traditionalist position on the 7 jersey.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ettybay
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.