The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Broncos did offer Ikin a deal before he retired. It does indicate that he would've been playing in the halves if he decided to play on.
he even accepted the deal iirc, before announcing his retirement a few months later.

What did you make of Berrigan switching to hooker in 2006? I can't remember if he replaced an injured player but it worked wonders. Ignited our attack for the back half of the year and we never looked back.
forced. Ennis and Barry Berrigan both injured, bennett put Shaun in the hooker spot. again, wasnt the masterstroke that everyone attributes to bennett - it was a forced change.

Then you can say the same about any significant successful change any coach has made.
how do you figure? McGuire shifted Inglis to fullback not through injury or retirement.

Last edited:
he even accepted the deal iirc, before announcing his retirement a few months later.

forced. Ennis and Barry Berrigan both injured, bennett put Shaun in the hooker spot. again, wasnt the masterstroke that everyone attributes to bennett - it was a forced change.

how do you figure? McGuire shifted Inglis to fullback not through injury or retirement.

They're hardly forced though. Who knew that moving the worlds best fulback into five-eight would work out? He did. ****, is it that hard to just give a little bit of credit where it is obviously due? Or do you actually think Bennett has never done anything, ever? Shaun Berrigan was a forced change to hooker? No. Our current coach would have named Alex Glenn or David Stagg there if our top two hookers were injured.

I just went though the 2008 threads about Wayne.

Reading through this thread, it seems that there is truth in the saying that history repeats itself.

Back then - and wow it was such a blast revisiting some of our old now departed BHQ posters, there was a lot of criticism of Wayne mainly around his team selections, as much as support, , about, as one poster said: Bennett's "man management".

There was also an interesting reference to a book by Bennett in which he wrote he would be happy to be Lockyer's Assistant Coach in 2013. Great stuff the past - full of vice, virtue and fantasy.

Shaun Berrigan was a forced change to hooker? No. Our current coach would have named Alex Glenn or David Stagg there if our top two hookers were injured.

I'm not sure you remember Bennett previous broncos stint lol. I don't think there was a position he didn't stuff nuffies like stagg into. Stagg the halfback, the centre, the wing. McGuire the everything. Tonie Carroll the halfback.

I swear, people don't seem to be remembering what it was ACTUALLY like last time around.

I'm not sure you remember Bennett previous broncos stint lol. I don't think there was a position he didn't stuff nuffies like stagg into. Stagg the halfback, the centre, the wing. McGuire the everything. Tonie Carroll the halfback.

I swear, people don't seem to be remembering what it was ACTUALLY like last time around.

Serious question for you AP - if the Broncos win a Premiership in the next 3 years are you going to give Wayne any credit?

A lot of people remember, but they also remember Bennett winning 6 premierships, making the finals just about every single year and turning this club into a powerhouse so I'm guessing they don't really give a shit about the negatives.

I'm going to go out on the limb and say Bennett hurt you in some way. Your hate for him is not normal...

McGuire was a better utility than Kurt Gidley is. So was Berrigan. Stagg wasn't a nuffie back in the day. In fact he got selected for Queensland based on that form. And don't even start on why Carroll was selected in the halves. The team at the time had enough attacking flair to allow a defensive half. Same with Shane Perry too.

McGuire was a better utility than Kurt Gidley is. So was Berrigan. Stagg wasn't a nuffie back in the day. In fact he got selected for Queensland based on that form. And don't even start on why Carroll was selected in the halves. The team at the time had enough attacking flair to allow a defensive half. Same with Shane Perry too.
Wayne deserves credit for a lot, including what the Broncos have become, and I won't take credit away from the premierships we won, even if I do believe the 2006 one was a bit lucky, as we were definitely not looking likely. But excusing Tony Carroll in the halves with "enough attacking flair to allow a defensive half"? That's just nuts!

BTW, you do remember the result of Tony Carroll in the halves, don't you?

Wayne deserves credit for a lot, including what the Broncos have become, and I won't take credit away from the premierships we won, even if I do believe the 2006 one was a bit lucky, as we were definitely not looking likely. But excusing Tony Carroll in the halves with "enough attacking flair to allow a defensive half"? That's just nuts!

BTW, you do remember the result of Tony Carroll in the halves, don't you?

How long did it last though? Surely not 19 rounds like Hoffman.

Didn't the five eighth role virtually become *insert forward* here for the back-half of 2007?

Let's see...

R19 - Tonie Carroll/Michael Ennis
R20 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry
R21 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry
R22 - Greg Eastwood/Shane Perry (TC injured)
R23 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry (Eastwood injured)
R24 - Ian Lacey/Shane Perry
R25 - Greg Eastwood/Shane Perry
FW1 - Sam Thaiday/Shane Perry

So outside of Lacey who was basically a hooker at this level, more or less yes.

TBH, I agree with those selections too. Ben Green or Brent McConnell? No thanks...

Last edited:
Didn't the five eighth role virtually become *insert forward* here for the back-half of 2007?

Let's see...

R19 - Tonie Carroll/Michael Ennis
R20 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry
R21 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry
R22 - Greg Eastwood/Shane Perry (TC injured)
R23 - Tonie Carroll/Shane Perry (Eastwood injured)
R24 - Ian Lacey/Shane Perry
R25 - Greg Eastwood/Shane Perry
FW1 - Sam Thaiday/Shane Perry

So outside of Lacey who was basically a hooker at this level, more or less yes.

TBH, I agree with those selections too. Ben Green or Brent McConnell? No thanks...
I don't, and never will, even if the choices were nowhere near as abundant as they are now. Come on now!

What about the "attacking flair" of those pairings...? :laugh:

I don't, and never will, even if the choices were nowhere near as abundant as they are now. Come on now!

What about the "attacking flair" of those pairings...? :laugh:

Oh god, next you'll be telling me we were boring for the last 30 years.

Darren Lockyer
Justin Hodges
Karmichael Hunt
Darius Boyd
Brent Tate
Greg Eastwood
Michael Ennis
Dave Taylor
Denan Kemp

Yeah, no "attacking flair" there.. We won a premiership with Shane Fucking Perry at halfback. Shane Perry. And why? Because we had the attacking flair everywhere else on the field. Also in 2007 half our team was injured and didn't we lose Tame Tupor early too?

[MENTION=8468]Cult3[/MENTION] if you are seriously trying to justify Bennett picking guys like Carroll and Thaiday in the halves, then I don't ever want to see you complain about Griffin selecting Hoffman in the halves EVER AGAIN. because as bad as the decision was to play Hoffman in halves, it is not as bad as the decision to play Carroll or Thaiday in that position. (I'm pretty sure Bennett also played Stagg there at one point)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • marw
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Astro
  • Gaz
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Lurker
  • Justwin
  • Santa
  • ettybay
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.