The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I love the fact we breed our own, what I don't like is how the club can't identify when they have kept the wrong player.
Macca is the perfect example, seems to be the golden child who hasn't developed any further for the last 3 years but has no pressure from within the club or from us targeting a young hooker from another club.

This was one of WBs greatest strenghts, identifying which players would go on and culling the guys who would become mediocre fringe first graders.

Re: youth policy

This was one of WBs greatest strenghts, identifying which players would go on and culling the guys who would become mediocre fringe first graders.
lols

david stagg over dave taylor
mick ryan over luke priddis
steve michaels over ANYONE
stu kelly over ANYONE

keeping mediocre fringe first graders and giving them a spot in the team for life was one of wayne bennetts biggest faults! he had a 'good bloke over good football player' philosophy.

1 hour 10 minutes. Beat my guess by 50 minutes as to when AP would attack :-)

i wouldnt say its an attack, just disagreeing with something thats pretty plain to see is wrong.

or do you also believe that wayne bennett culled anyone that would go on to be a mediocre fringe first grader? if he did that, why did the broncos have so many of them under his tenure, many of whom who served up rubbish on a platter year after year?

Last edited:

Well, I knew you couldn't let a pro-Bennett post go without a comeback, that's what I meant ;-)
Personally I think Bennett's eye for talent waned (pardon the pun) post-2000, and especially from 2006 onwards.

I'm not sure if as he got older his father-like relationship with a number of players got the better of his objectivity. The fact he was probably not so much in that fatherly role at the Dragons and now the Knights might contribute to him having a more shrewd eye for talent - weighing up their on field efforts and training performances, not worrying so much about their manners at the dinner table.

or do you also believe that wayne bennett culled anyone that would go on to be a mediocre fringe first grader?

I don't think he always made the right decision, but I think he made it a lot more often than not. Pointing out 4 players from the number of players that Bennett coached during his time at the broncos is hardly compelling eveidence.

Besides this, I have no doubt some of those questionable decisions were made in the interest of the salary cap.

I don't think he always made the right decision, but I think he made it a lot more often than not. Pointing out 4 players from the number of players that Bennett coached during his time at the broncos is hardly compelling eveidence.

Besides this, I have no doubt some of those questionable decisions were made in the interest of the salary cap.
i pointed out 4 of the biggest, easiest examples. there were many more - just look at our teams post 2000 and the number of nuffies who played for us week-in-week-out.

i dont think they were salary cap related. if they were it was only because we were paying the nuffies FAR too much. we gave michaels a huge contract iirc? the guys deadset one of the worst NRL players ive ever seen.

lols

david stagg over dave taylor
mick ryan over luke priddis
steve michaels over ANYONE
stu kelly over ANYONE

keeping mediocre fringe first graders and giving them a spot in the team for life was one of wayne bennetts biggest faults! he had a 'good bloke over good football player' philosophy.

Well he must be the best coach of any sport in the world then if he kept all those mediocre players and still won 6 Gfs.

not even gonna bother with that one.

Hard for you to argue it at all Ap. I mean, I agree with you 100% regarding the style of footy he coaches, it's boring as batshit but his worth as a coach can't be disputed. You can't argue that he keeps mediocre players and he's a bad coach but has delivered 7 premierships since 1988.

You can't argue that WB is a bad coach and only won because he had superior players but then argue how good Bellamy is when he hasn't been tested without his big 3.

I think CB is a brilliant coach but the fact remains the only time he has been tested as a coach without the big 3 was SoO and whilst that is unfair to judge him on that alone his arse is still glowing from the smacking it got.

I don't want to reignite the WB thing again I'm just pointing out I find it hard to understand how you can't give credit where it's due regardless what you think of his style.

And let's not forget the boring "Bennett ball" style only started circa 1999 with the loss of Alfie, and the aging of the likes of Walters and Renouf, and the emergence of a pack of monsters like Civoniceva, Webcke, Thorn. He modified the "attack at all costs" game plan to "bash them into submission" based on the cattle he had.

Isn't that the sign of a good coach? One who adapts his style to suit the team he has?

i pointed out 4 of the biggest, easiest examples. there were many more - just look at our teams post 2000 and the number of nuffies who played for us week-in-week-out.

i dont think they were salary cap related. if they were it was only because we were paying the nuffies FAR too much. we gave michaels a huge contract iirc? the guys deadset one of the worst NRL players ive ever seen.

There were definitiely a number of nuffies at certain stages post 2000, but what team doesn't have them? There isn't enough qaulaity football players in aus to allow teams to not have any, and the salary cap stops any one team from not having too many for too long.

Any team that is successful (as say the broncos were in 2000) becomes a victim of their own success under the salary cap, and at some stage has to let some of their successful players go and rebuild over the next few years (as the broncos did from 2000 until 2006), and hope that the players they have coming through are the right players to fill the gap left by those forced to go. Sometimes these players make it, other times not. Bennett obviously managed to make the right call on a lot of those players though if he was able to rebuild the team in to a premiership winning team a few years later in 2006. FWIW too, I think the team is going through a similar rebuild now. I think they had the team to win it in 2011, but missed their chance, and now it's going to be a lean few years.

I think the fact that he managed to build or rebuild the broncos in to a premeirship winning team on probably 3 different occasions over 2 decades speaks volumes as to how many of his recruitment decisions were correct.

I know you have strong views against bennett, and sometimes I think you have valid points in regards to him, but other times i think you just like to shoot down anything positivie that is said about him.

Last edited:

Hard for you to argue it at all Ap. I mean, I agree with you 100% regarding the style of footy he coaches, it's boring as bat**** but his worth as a coach can't be disputed. You can't argue that he keeps mediocre players and he's a bad coach but has delivered 7 premierships since 1988.

You can't argue that WB is a bad coach and only won because he had superior players but then argue how good Bellamy is when he hasn't been tested without his big 3.

I think CB is a brilliant coach but the fact remains the only time he has been tested as a coach without the big 3 was SoO and whilst that is unfair to judge him on that alone his arse is still glowing from the smacking it got.

I don't want to reignite the WB thing again I'm just pointing out I find it hard to understand how you can't give credit where it's due regardless what you think of his style.
7 since 88, correct. 5 in the first 12 years, 2 in the proceeding 12. he got very, very lucky with the 2006 premiership, and well, lucky again in 2010 that melbourne were taken out of the race for the premiership.

i can argue that he keeps mediocre players because he does. i dont argue that hes a bad coach, i argue that hes not among the best ANYMORE. its hard to argue that he is, given the success of coaches like hasler and bellamy. noone can argue that bennett has been a better coach over the last 6-7 years than those 2, because he hasnt. you just seem to think that saying someone isnt the best = theyre bad. its not. its exactly what it says - not the best.

you cant judge bellamy on Origin at all. origin coaching is a completely different thing to NRL coaching. its more just about getting the players ready mentally. youve had a team chosen for you, and you have 3 weeks spread out over 7 weeks time to coach them. plus he was up against a pretty handy team in the record setting 7 wins in a row QLD team, wouldnt you say? its like saying that all the other teams were rubbish in 1998 cause they got beaten by the broncos, who were just a far better team than every other one.

like ive said many times, yet people like you keep ignoring and making stuff up, i give wayne bennett plenty of credit. he WAS the best coach for a long, long time. hes not now. with newcastle he has at least realised that you need to buy players instead of wasting time with people that arent going to get the job done. i dislike it because it comes across as just trying to buy a premiership, but at least it shows hes not stuck in his old ways of giving every nice guy a permanent spot in the team, often at the detriment of the team.

like was said in one of the other threads the other day, you cant just keep playing the "hes won 7 premierships that means hes still the best coach" card like some play the "the broncos have 6 premierships in 25 years so you cant complain about this seasons results" card. noones trying to rewrite history, we know he won those premierships. but his coaching style and recruitment in the last 12 years has been outdated and lackluster. only the last few years has he started to show that hes changing his gameplan. for 10 years before that it was bash up the middle then give it to your superstars to do their thing. great when you have superstars, absolutely terrible when you dont. keeping michaels/kelly/stag cause theyre top blokes doesnt get you superstars.

And let's not forget the boring "Bennett ball" style only started circa 1999 with the loss of Alfie, and the aging of the likes of Walters and Renouf, and the emergence of a pack of monsters like Civoniceva, Webcke, Thorn. He modified the "attack at all costs" game plan to "bash them into submission" based on the cattle he had.

Isn't that the sign of a good coach? One who adapts his style to suit the team he has?

Absolutely, and that is the cause of why fans are frustrated with our current coach IMO. He is using the bash em into submission style of play and it just doesn't suit our squad.

7 since 88, correct. 5 in the first 12 years, 2 in the proceeding 12. he got very, very lucky with the 2006 premiership, and well, lucky again in 2010 that melbourne were taken out of the race for the premiership.

i can argue that he keeps mediocre players because he does. i dont argue that hes a bad coach, i argue that hes not among the best ANYMORE. its hard to argue that he is, given the success of coaches like hasler and bellamy. noone can argue that bennett has been a better coach over the last 6-7 years than those 2, because he hasnt. you just seem to think that saying someone isnt the best = theyre bad. its not. its exactly what it says - not the best.

you cant judge bellamy on Origin at all. origin coaching is a completely different thing to NRL coaching. its more just about getting the players ready mentally. youve had a team chosen for you, and you have 3 weeks spread out over 7 weeks time to coach them. plus he was up against a pretty handy team in the record setting 7 wins in a row QLD team, wouldnt you say? its like saying that all the other teams were rubbish in 1998 cause they got beaten by the broncos, who were just a far better team than every other one.

like ive said many times, yet people like you keep ignoring and making stuff up, i give wayne bennett plenty of credit. he WAS the best coach for a long, long time. hes not now. with newcastle he has at least realised that you need to buy players instead of wasting time with people that arent going to get the job done. i dislike it because it comes across as just trying to buy a premiership, but at least it shows hes not stuck in his old ways of giving every nice guy a permanent spot in the team, often at the detriment of the team.

like was said in one of the other threads the other day, you cant just keep playing the "hes won 7 premierships that means hes still the best coach" card like some play the "the broncos have 6 premierships in 25 years so you cant complain about this seasons results" card. noones trying to rewrite history, we know he won those premierships. but his coaching style and recruitment in the last 12 years has been outdated and lackluster. only the last few years has he started to show that hes changing his gameplan. for 10 years before that it was bash up the middle then give it to your superstars to do their thing. great when you have superstars, absolutely terrible when you dont. keeping michaels/kelly/stag cause theyre top blokes doesnt get you superstars.

Hypothetical: Assuming Hasler and Bellamy are under contract. Assume Bennett is a free agent.

Who would you want to coach the Broncos if Griffin was sacked tomorow?

For a bloke who claims to give him plenty of credit you shore are quick to jump on any positive post to argue against it.

He has won 2 premierships since 2006 the same as Hasler and one more than Bellamy so on that score alone he still ranks up with the very best in the game.

He's won 5 of the last 16 so throw stats around as much as you like anyone can make them fit an argument.

Now he's started to turn Newc around you don't like it because it smacks of buying a premiership yet you'll argue that the Storm really did win those 2 premierships even though they illegally bought them.

Hypothetical: Assuming Hasler and Bellamy are under contract. Assume Bennett is a free agent.

Who would you want to coach the Broncos if Griffin was sacked tomorow?

Great question SS, I'm assuming you meant off contract?

It would depend on which players were off contract as well. If the the big 3 or even 2 of them would come with CB he would be my choice.

Great question SS, I'm assuming you meant off contract?

It would depend on which players were off contract as well. If the the big 3 or even 2 of them would come with CB he would be my choice.

Cheers - I meant assume Hasler and Craig Bellamy aren't options because they are under contract.

Wayne Bennett is off contract. Griffin is sacked/died/retired/left the Broncos.

Who would you want to coach the Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • marw
  • sooticus
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.