The Weekly Steve Michaels Award

I've been a big supporter but the stand out of our ineptitude was Ben Hunt.

Terrible defensively and in offence killed all our momentum early in the first half.

Terrible defensively and in offence killed all our momentum early in the first half.

He deserves it this week. Had a shocker. Really needs to sort his kicking out.

Ben Hunt for me too. Just a lolworthy performance.... or at least it would be lolworthy if I wasn't a Broncos fan..

Me for having faith in Griffin and thinking the changes would work.

6nqyyh.jpg

Hodges for his magic plays, that forward pass was an absolute beauty.

Questions I'd like to ask Griffin:

What is Ben Hunt's role in the team?

When you give the instruction for Ben Hunt to come on, what are you expecting?

The top performing teams all have a dummy half that can last eighty minutes. How confident are you that having a part time hooker taking up a bench spot is going to yield success?

McCullough is not fit enough to play eighty minutes. He has been our first choice hooker for 4 years. Is it time to find someone who can?

I could go on.

Questions I'd like to ask Griffin:

What is Ben Hunt's role in the team?

When you give the instruction for Ben Hunt to come on, what are you expecting?

The top performing teams all have a dummy half that can last eighty minutes. How confident are you that having a part time hooker taking up a bench spot is going to yield success?

McCullough is not fit enough to play eighty minutes. He has been our first choice hooker for 4 years. Is it time to find someone who can?

I could go on.

You have basically asked the one question four different ways...

Maybe so, broncos4life but I would love to get the coach to elaborate on how we use Ben Hunt. Like I said, the top teams don't swap hookers during the game. I don't really see how it helps Hunt or McCullough long-term and even if it's a good idea why not use a proper dummy half like Baptiste or Granville when making the switch? At the moment we have two average hookers.

Norman receives it this week for his overall performance which included dropping that bomb, throwing that forward pass which was never on and then not throwing a pass when it was on...

However, I also wanted to mention some nominees.

David Hala, for imitating Lockyer and getting bundled into touch when we were forcing our way back into the game.

Josh Hoffman, for not playing to the whistle and allowing Stapleton to run it out of his own in-goal and make 40m. We were very fortunate that Hunt made a ripper of a tackle.

Lachlan Maranta's effort on Gordon was also embarrassing. What a way to kill any chance of points just on half-time.

Last edited:
People talk about Maranta as though he is the worst Broncos winger of all time. I mean he's been terrible, but Reece Robinson probably takes his place in recent times.

People talk about Maranta as though he is the worst Broncos winger of all time. I mean he's been terrible, but Reece Robinson probably takes his place in recent times.

I honestly think he's the worst winger we have consistently picked. He has one job - fall over - and he can't even do that.

I honestly think he's the worst winger we have consistently picked. He has one job - fall over - and he can't even do that.

That would imply he receives the ball on the line, if only it was that simple.

Yeah, he's been horrific at finishing tries off, and sometimes he gets beaten by the attacker, but his kick returns are fairly strong and he is safe under the high ball. Reece Robinson was just as ordinary, except he got driven back about 5 metres every time he ran the ball.

Reece has redeemed himself with his performances at Canberra and at least he had speed.

Personally i'd call it the Nick Emmett award, never saw anything in that guy.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Volvo Driver
  • ostin86
  • GCBRONCO
  • Painin the Haas
  • broncs30
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • IceWorks
  • bert_lifts
  • Ejbroncos
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • barker
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.