This might just save Rugby League.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
IN all my life watching the footy, ive never been more frustrated, angry and suspicious at the implementation of a rule than the 6 again.
It is the dumbest rule ever put into the game and a total failure on all fronts.
It was implemented to increase the pace of the game and has completely failed.
Not only does it not increase the pace of the game, it fatigues one side right out of the competition when multiple 6 agains are blown back to back and any balance the game might have had is gone at the discretion of the ref on the night.

Its lack of accountability makes it the perfectly tool for game management and even for outright corruption.
Most 6 against are a mystery, and anytime i have gone back over footage to try and pin down why a 6 again was called, i am left baffled by the choice of the on-field ref to call it.

Maybe some common sense might prevail as i have yet to meet a single person who likes the rule in any capacity.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
I was blown away when it first came in, I thought it was the biggest load of shit. Ridiculous it came in mid season also.
wasn't it like rd2 after the Corona restart? We got absolutely butt-fucked by that. Notably, the Riff started to gain a lot of confidence during that period, whereas our boys got completely mentally destroyed.

Hate that rule. That was the day Rugby League died for me. All the rest I could put up with, but that was the last straw.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
IN all my life watching the footy, ive never been more frustrated, angry and suspicious at the implementation of a rule than the 6 again.
It is the dumbest rule ever put into the game and a total failure on all fronts.
Not only does it not increase the pace of the game, it fatigues one side right out of the competition when multiple 6 agains are blown back to back and any balance the game might have had is gone at the discretion of the ref on the night.

Its lack of accountability makes it the perfectly tool for game management and even for outright corruption.
Most 6 against are a mystery, and anytime i have gone back over footage to try and pin down why a 6 again was called, i am left baffled by the choice of the on-field ref to call it.

Maybe some common sense might prevail as i have yet to meet a single person who likes the rule in any capacity.

Agree with everything you say. I stopped watching games last year. I was only watching our games. Last week was the first time I didn’t bother watching our game.

It’s not just the 6 agains though. The inconsistencIes of sin bins and the MRC suggests there has to be an element of corruption going on.

Why Mitchell went virtually unpunished for that tackle on Coates is disgraceful.

They need to go back to two refs. Its alot harder to control the outcome of a game when you need to have both refs working in tandem. There was no reason other than the Covid outbreak given when they were scrapped.

That outrageous origin blowout the other week was simply down to the 8 in a row 6 agains to the blues.

I know we league fans are sometimes considered dumb, but that sort of manufacturing of an outcome to setup a “thriller” at Lang Park was so transparent. Truthfully- I think the game is already beyond saving. Walsh was the only shining light in terms of brining new fans to the game and look how they’ve treated him because he’s from the ‘wrong’ side of the border.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

HEAR! HEAR!

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The 6-again was brought in for a genuine reason, and that was to prevent teams like the Roosters deliberately giving away penalties in order to allow their defence to reset.

Further, when the Panthers used the rule to be permanently off-side while pinning an opponent on their line (with the 6-again not allowing a clearing kick or any form of breather) it was deemed that in the attacking team's own 40 (I think) it would go back to a proper penalty.

So what happens? They just don't blow the penalty for teams like Penrith. Case in point, the rule itself is not the issue, it's the inconsistent and biased application.

The 6-again has merit to stop cynical penalties in order to reset their defence. If you take it away there would still be plenty of avenues for manipulating games. The lack of scrutiny with 6 agains means dick when the refs boss just comes out on the Monday and bold face lies about calls anyway.

You'd think elite sport would have some kind of independent body that oversees and investigates parity and consistency.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The 6-again was brought in for a genuine reason, and that was to prevent teams like the Roosters deliberately giving away penalties in order to allow their defence to reset.

Send someone to the bin after three straight penalties within the same phase of the match - sorted.

The six again is an absolute load of shite, and the game is worse off for it. It's far too influential and there's no consistency in its application.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Send someone to the bin after three straight penalties within the same phase of the match - sorted.

The six again is an absolute load of shite, and the game is worse off for it. It's far too influential and there's no consistency in its application.

I agree in theory, but we know what teams will get sent. And we know what teams will keep infringing because the ref won't blow the penalties and risk having to send someone from that team.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I agree in theory, but we know what teams will get sent. And we know what teams will keep infringing because the ref won't blow the penalties and risk having to send someone from that team.
Would still rather that than mysterious 6 agains being thrown out back to back to back.
At least there is accountability and clear (sometimes incorrect) reasons for penalties.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
A) 6 agains should be replaced by a null tackle.
B) 2 null tackles in a continuous set = penalty
C) A 3rd null tackle after the penalty would mean a 5 minute powerplay meaning offending player on the touchline for 5 minutes till the opposition scores or 5 minutes expires.
C) Reasons for infringements must be indicated to the television audience. No 'Ruck infringement' isn't good enough, it needs to be 'Holding' or 'Hand on Ball' etc.

Sorry Melbourne, you can shove your continous 6 agains in your own 20 up your ass.

Refs you can explain why your screwing us over.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
HEAR! HEAR!
Wear? Wear?

Sorry I've reached my allotted dad jokes for the day

Celebrate Pimp My Ride GIF

Ps: **** the 6 again

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Well said mate.......and its about time all the clubs said so as well.

Its THE worst rule change to have ever existed in the game.
@Morkel .....I'm sorry mate, but you're wrong. There is NO merit to it whatsoever.

Ruck infringements....blow a penalty
Offside? ....blow a penalty
etc etc....blow a mutherfucken penalty.

The 6 again was designed to help speed up the game. IMO.....thats causing some of the problems....the speed of the games. Its all got very messy......tackled players moving off the mark ....half play the balls....rolling it behind without getting a foot on the ball.......etc etc etc......

Slow the game down a touch.....and make sure all players are doing the little things right.

If they aren't...penalise them.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
I'll add they need to **** the Captain's Challenge off as well (its becoming very messy and another unwanted time waster) and a massive overhaul of the bunker, or just scrap the whole fucking thing and just leave it up to the refs and touchies.

The onfield refs would probably get about the same percentage right as the bunker is currently getting right. Or if it is to stay, get some fucking competent ***** in there that have some feel for the game. Stop making it so black and white. It's never going to be.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Agree with everything you say. I stopped watching games last year. I was only watching our games. Last week was the first time I didn’t bother watching our game.

It’s not just the 6 agains though. The inconsistencIes of sin bins and the MRC suggests there has to be an element of corruption going on.

Why Mitchell went virtually unpunished for that tackle on Coates is disgraceful.

They need to go back to two refs. Its alot harder to control the outcome of a game when you need to have both refs working in tandem. There was no reason other than the Covid outbreak given when they were scrapped.

That outrageous origin blowout the other week was simply down to the 8 in a row 6 agains to the blues.

I know we league fans are sometimes considered dumb, but that sort of manufacturing of an outcome to setup a “thriller” at Lang Park was so transparent. Truthfully- I think the game is already beyond saving. Walsh was the only shining light in terms of brining new fans to the game and look how they’ve treated him because he’s from the ‘wrong’ side of the border.

There was only four in the whole game in Origin two.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

There was a prime example last night that a 6 again can offer basically no reward for what were previously considered pretty serious penalties.

Parra gave away a six again for something and then conceded a half break or full linebreak anyway, but on zero tackle or first tackle Moses is holding onto old mates leg and just refusing to let go until the defence was set.

It was absolutely blatant and all the ref does is give a six again... so bunnies lost all momentum on the play in what was a deliberate penalty (ie same style of professional foul that Moses was binned for later in the game) for the reward of 1-2 extra tackles.

The result of the exact same penalties throughout a game fluctuate wildly at the moment... often a lesser indiscretion (like a hand on the ball being called once but being let go the other 1000 times) can be significantly more damaging than blatant deliberate penalties... pending location, timing and situation.

Talking about professional fouls being 1 extra tackle, compared to phantom yardage penalties being 30m of field position ... that is absolutely fucked officiating.

The arbitrary use of the 40m line means 1m either side of it and the penalty is either 30m of field position and a full set of six... or just a new full set of six.... and if you happen to have got a quick ptb on your new set of six, because you happened to be 1m too far downfield, then guess what, the good teams are just going to hold you down and concede another 'penalty'... so your reward for an arguably worse indiscretion is one extra tackle.

An issue is that players and coaches are better officials than the referees.. the good players and good teams know the rules better than the refs. They know when a 'tactical' penalty is required and they know the NRL officiating is too gutless to really penalise a team that is blatantly giving them away.

**** you could introduce a yellow card system... a player that keeps giving away deliberate penalties is given a 'yellow card', pick up a second one and you're off the field... you can let them sub a player back on but basically that player is ejected from the game. That becomes an issue when it's someone like Munster racing up offside on the edges continually and getting yellow cards... but guess what would happen... the refs would become too fucking gutless to ever use it so they wouldn't even bother blowing the penalties and you end up making the situation worse.

The rules have always been there... it's just a refusal of the admin and officials to actually enforce the fucking things properly and consistently. The NRL's standpoint to officiating is the ref not doing their job and remaining as invisible as possible to the point where games are completely out of control and turn into complete clusterfucks.

Could you imagine if this kind of bullshit discretion and game management happened in US sports... the admin would be sued into oblivion.

NFL has like 6 umpires on the field covering different parts and they call just about everything... they basically lean on the more conservative side by calling more penalties instead of letting them go. The commentators will say that's harsh, but the player did do it.

The difference being that US audiences are conditioned to accepting penalties and the players are blamed for conceding the penalties rather than umpires being blamed for having the hide to actually call them.

Umpires have the backing to make big calls in important parts of the game and players get blamed if they are the ones fucking up... rather than 'no no no no no no... you can't call that' 'Gus... that is a huge call at this time of the game' 'no no no no no no'

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

@Morkel .....I'm sorry mate, but you're wrong. There is NO merit to it whatsoever.

The 6 again was designed to help speed up the game. IMO.....thats causing some of the problems....the speed of the games. Its all got very messy......tackled players moving off the mark ....half play the balls....rolling it behind without getting a foot on the ball.......etc etc etc......

Slow the game down a touch.....and make sure all players are doing the little things right.

You might prefer rugby union if you like penalties stopping play.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Same point applies. We saw what happened when the Storm and other grub teams got penalised out of games, the media went apeshit and reverted to "leniency".

The 6-again was to prevent the offending team from having time to reset their defence (which is why they were giving the penalties away). I guess you could take away the 6-again and just give a lot more freedom with taking a quick tap from penalties. It would have the added benefit of meaning the markers also have to get back the 10 and if there is an immediate infringement it's a professional foul.

But again I say, we know the teams that will benefit from this. The rules don't need an overhaul, the governing body does.

Unread

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Porthoz
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.