CONTROVERSIAL Thought experiment - Who coaches after Kevvy?

Who is Your Preferred Likely Available Option?

• Michael Hagan

• Neil Henry

• Paul Green

• Cameron Ciraldo

• Josh Hannay

• Josh Morris

• Jason Ryles

• Kevin Walters

• Shane Flanagan

• Shaun Wane

• Adrian Lam

• Antonio Landtimid

• Brad Thorn

• Billy Slater

• Cameron Smith

• Justin Hodges

• The Walker Brothers

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
So, lets ignore that I am seriously jumping the gun with this one. I for one really want the Broncos and Kev to succeed this year and if we have a good few seasons in the next few years, possibly throw in a few semi's or a GF, Broncos fans will love him even more and he can coach for life........or until the next time we drop out of the 8.

The issue is that the jury is still out on whether Kevvy can actually coach. There still seem to be player rumblings, the annual Haas is unhappy articles (at least he didn't get arrested this preseason, so things are looking up), the leaks from within the sheds, the constant contract chatter. I know this the RL and this is all but inevitable, but these are not things you want to associate with a settled and happy team.

Dave and Ikin have brought some smarts back into the place, so they would be seeing all of this too. They know Kevvy is still finding his feet and is dealing with some fallout from the previous coach who shall not be named and have given him support and cut him some slack.

BUT, they would also be very silly if they were not already thinking about succession plans. I see this going 2 or 3 ways -

1. Best option, we make the 8 this year. We're the best team in QLD again and we make a few more solid signings at the end of the year after Oates, Isaako etc finish up. Next year is a top 4 possibility, the young guys are improving and Kev gets an extension (he is on month to month atm). the argument around his coaching ability dies off. We have a long term coach and are all happy.

2. We don't improve enough to make the 8 this year but we are close. Kev is on his last legs, next year is make or break. Dave and Ikin have 24 months to find the next coach and plan. We should know by the mid season how likely this is and can start putting things in motion.

3. We lose 10 straight to start the season, Kevvy is not coaching next year. He bought is half back and some senior players, but just doesn't have what it takes to coach at this level. We need someone asap.

So...........who is the Broncos next coach?

• I would have loved to try and get Robinson from the the Roosters, but he has just extended.
  • Bellamy always flirts with us every time there is a rumour of troubled waters at the Broncos, but nothing ever eventuates.
  • We lost our previous backup when he followed Benny to the Rabbids
  • Do we take a punt on Flannagan.....the only premiership winning coach that seems available...possibly Sticky falls into this category as Canberra is not going too well the last few years.
  • Hodges...Walker twins?

TLDR;
Heaven forbid Kevvy stinks it up, who is our next coach? Do we go someone fresh and take the risk of having 3 coaches in a row light on experience? Is there a senior coach even remotely possible to attract? Is there someone from the ESL worth a punt? Someone from Grade?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PS, don't crucify me, we're definitely making the top 8 this year.....probably.....i think/hope/pray........please Lord don't let us go through this again. 🙏:kimlo:

Way too early for this for me, but I had to comment on one bit;

• Do we take a punt on Flannagan.....the only premiership winning coach that seems available...possibly Sticky falls into this category as Canberra is not going too well the last few years.

Absofuckinglutely not. He is a drug cheat. End of.

I honestly don't know apart from the obvious candidates of Bellamy and Robinson. No one really sticks out as a current coach and everyone thereafter is an absolute punt. Is anyone in ESL worth a look? I've heard Wane bandied about a few times but I know little about him.

Unfortunately i think Paul Green is a shoo in for next Broncos coach if Kevvie is sacked during or at the end of this season. He is good mates with Ikin and is ready to step straight back into a NRL coaching gig with 5 minutes notice.

Maybe Brad Thorn or Woolf if there can be some more planning in place but i get the feeling if Walters is going to be sacked it will be done quickly on the back of 8 losses in a row and we won't have time to plan.

Ciraldo and Ryles are maybe the best of the assistant coaches ready to step up but cant see Ikin choosing them over Green and i also think after Seibs and Walters having less than pleasant times (assuming Walters is shown the door) the Broncos gig may not be attractive for an assistant stepping up.

Unfortunately i think Paul Green is a shoo in for next Broncos coach if Kevvie is sacked during or at the end of this season. He is good mates with Ikin and is ready to step straight back into a NRL coaching gig with 5 minutes notice.

Maybe Brad Thorn or Woolf if there can be some more planning in place but i get the feeling if Walters is going to be sacked it will be done quickly on the back of 8 losses in a row and we won't have time to plan.

Ciraldo and Ryles are maybe the best of the assistant coaches ready to step up but cant see Ikin choosing them over Green and i also think after Seibs and Walters having less than pleasant times (assuming Walters is shown the door) the Broncos gig may not be attractive for an assistant stepping up.

I would honestly drop support for the club completely and get behind the Dolphins.

I'm not an AFL tragic but I do watch the Lions from time to time and for me Kevvie is the guy who fills the Justin Leppitsch role.

Restores values, work ethic, as much culture as he can in the place.. until a more seasoned, successful coach takes the team to where they need to be in terms of on field performance. I know Fagan wasn't a proven coach but he definitely had all the makings to be one. That's just how I am seeing it.

Good call, that seems like a solid option. How are the reds going these days?

I love Thorn but he's won 22/47 games at the Reds and the last two years have just involved the Australian teams so that makes it hard to get a read.

He's improved them no doubt but he hasn't been coaching League and to hire a non-league coach would be bold.

I love Thorn but he's won 22/47 games at the Reds and the last two years have just involved the Australian teams so that makes it hard to get a read.

He's improved them no doubt but he hasn't been coaching League and to hire a non-league coach would be bold.
exactly my thoughts.

what's your thoughts mate?
i wouldn't have a clue , slim pickings imo.
is there any options in cup that could transition into a gun coach?

A penny for your thoughts on this topic (ie possible future Broncos coach) ?

So, lets ignore that I am seriously jumping the gun with this one. I for one really want the Broncos and Kev to succeed this year and if we have a good few seasons in the next few years, possibly throw in a few semi's or a GF, Broncos fans will love him even more and he can coach for life........or until the next time we drop out of the 8.

The issue is that the jury is still out on whether Kevvy can actually coach. There still seem to be player rumblings, the annual Haas is unhappy articles (at least he didn't get arrested this preseason, so things are looking up), the leaks from within the sheds, the constant contract chatter. I know this the RL and this is all but inevitable, but these are not things you want to associate with a settled and happy team.

Dave and Ikin have brought some smarts back into the place, so they would be seeing all of this too. They know Kevvy is still finding his feet and is dealing with some fallout from the previous coach who shall not be named and have given him support and cut him some slack.

BUT, they would also be very silly if they were not already thinking about succession plans. I see this going 2 or 3 ways -

1. Best option, we make the 8 this year. We're the best team in QLD again and we make a few more solid signings at the end of the year after Oates, Isaako etc finish up. Next year is a top 4 possibility, the young guys are improving and Kev gets an extension (he is on month to month atm). the argument around his coaching ability dies off. We have a long term coach and are all happy.

2. We don't improve enough to make the 8 this year but we are close. Kev is on his last legs, next year is make or break. Dave and Ikin have 24 months to find the next coach and plan. We should know by the mid season how likely this is and can start putting things in motion.

3. We lose 10 straight to start the season, Kevvy is not coaching next year. He bought is half back and some senior players, but just doesn't have what it takes to coach at this level. We need someone asap.

So...........who is the Broncos next coach?

• I would have loved to try and get Robinson from the the Roosters, but he has just extended.
  • Bellamy always flirts with us every time there is a rumour of troubled waters at the Broncos, but nothing ever eventuates.
  • We lost our previous backup when he followed Benny to the Rabbids
  • Hodges...Walker twins?

TLDR;
Heaven forbid Kevvy stinks it up, who is our next coach? Do we go someone fresh and take the risk of having 3 coaches in a row light on experience? Is there a senior coach even remotely possible to attract? Is there someone from the ESL worth a punt? Someone from Grade?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PS, don't crucify me, we're definitely making the top 8 this year.....probably.....i think/hope/pray........please Lord don't let us go through this again. 🙏:kimlo:
You're having a laugh if you think it would be anyone prestigious. The only top coach that could save us and set us on a course for long term consistent succes is Robinson... he's young enough to take on a long project and he's proved he can do it based on where he took the roosters from.... but there is zero chance he leaves Bondi, why would he.

Most likely it would be Paul Green... or they would try and do a Sharks and get their hands on a "next big thing"... which is what Seibold was.

The culture of the squad needs to be reset and standards need to be set, before we can look to bring in a by the books NRL coach... otherwise there is every chance he gets rejected by the playing group in the same way Seibold was.

Seibold failed not only because he was a shit coach, but because the playing group failed to embrace a different style of playing.

We literally havent been able to do the basics in like 10yr.

The closest I can recall of us being that systematic structured style of football was 08 or so when it was peak Khunt sweeping around the back and Lockyer calling the shots. The kind of style where you know the team will get to the 20m and just strangle the opponent until they score and they do it without relying on individual brilliance.

We then went to Griffinball, which was just ultra conservative one out hitups and kick to a corner... but this was already when wrestling and ruck control was everything. We have never embraced that.

Bennett came back in 2015 and we had a bend dont break philosophy in defence (still no wrestling) and no line speed (basically what we have still)... and an ad lib attacking style through the spine ie. no systematic controlling of the ruck for quick ptb's, etc. just all out eyes up footy. That's fine when you're in great form and the team is confident, but it's not really something you can look to replicate if the team fall out of form ie. the variation in your best and worst games is too large for long term success, which was basically how all of 2018 played out when we would get up for good teams, but lose to lower placed teams continually and then ultimately we capitulated to dragons in the finals.

Seibold came in and tried to implement a system but the players were too stupid to be able to do it and then rose up against him until he was sacked.

Kevvie has come in and tried to simplify things... but most importantly he is trying to reset the culture and mindset of the squad. They need leaders who tell the rest of the group "this is how we are going to do it, because it fucking works and it fucking wins".

If they cut Kevvie for another "football brain" like Green, then we still wont go anywhere because the squad and the culture is still too football illiterate to adapt to a proper NRL system and we get another Seibood situation.

Kevvie is not going to be the one that takes us to the top, but he is the one we need right now, until the squad can get itself onto a good path and the R&R either lands a big fish to take us to the next level (like Knights did with Ponga) or finds a superstar kid that can be a focal point for our attack (like the one they let go to warriors last year).

At this stage Cobbo is a strike outside back, but he looks miles from being a Latrell/Turbo/Teddy equivalent for us... and Mam is ultra raw playing what he sees, but he needs to show that he can play in a system and still be that dynamic player who plays eyes up, which is what Cody does for Souths.

Who knows maybe Mozer will be the saviour... but the fact is we haven't been able to find a saviour in the spine from our pathways for a long time now.

I wouldve liked to see a Neil Henry or similar come in as an assistant this off season to setup the attacking structure of the team and a defensive coach that will teach them the current NRL principals / philosophies of defence (ie. wrestling and winning the ruck)... whilst Kevvie remains the player manager so it's not all Seibold style Football University 101.

When the squad can learn to play like a proper NRL team and remain a cohesive squad with the right culture and attitude, then you can think about whether Kevvie needs to be replaced.... but we could also see how Kevvie goes when he has a team that can complete at above 60% for two games in a row.

Kristian Woolf or Ciraldo.

I'm with Nashy, I don't know if I could stomach Green as our coach.

You're having a laugh if you think it would be anyone prestigious. The only top coach that could save us and set us on a course for long term consistent succes is Robinson... he's young enough to take on a long project and he's proved he can do it based on where he took the roosters from.... but there is zero chance he leaves Bondi, why would he.

Most likely it would be Paul Green... or they would try and do a Sharks and get their hands on a "next big thing"... which is what Seibold was.

The culture of the squad needs to be reset and standards need to be set, before we can look to bring in a by the books NRL coach... otherwise there is every chance he gets rejected by the playing group in the same way Seibold was.

Seibold failed not only be cause he was a shit coach, but because the playing group failed to embrace a different style of playing.

We literally havent been able to do the basics in like 10yr.

The closest I can recall of us being that systematic structured style of football was 08 or so when it was peak Khunt sweeping around the back and Lockyer calling the shots. The kind of style where you know the team will get to the 20m and just strangle the opponent until they score and they do it without relying on individual brilliance.

We then went to Griffinball, which was just ultra conservative one out hitups and kick to a corner... but this was already when wrestling and ruck control was everything. We have never embraced that.

Bennett came back in 2015 and we had a bend dont break philosophy in defence (still no wrestling) and no line speed (basically what we have still)... and an ad lib attacking style through the spine ie. no systematic controlling of the ruck for quick ptb's, etc. just all out eyes up footy. That's fine when you're in great form and the team is confident, but it's not really something you can look to replicate if the team fall out of form ie. the variation in your best and worst games is too large for long term success, which was basically how all of 2018 played out when we would get up for good teams, but lose to lower placed teams continually and then ultimately we capitulated to dragons in the finals.

Seibold came in and tried to implement a system but the players were too stupid to be able to do it and then rose up against him until he was sacked.

Kevvie has come in and tried to simplify things... but most importantly he is trying to reset the culture and mindset of the squad. They need leaders who tell the rest of the group "this is how we are going to do it, because it fucking works and it fucking wins".

If they cut Kevvie for another "football brain" like Green, then we still wont go anywhere because the squad and the culture is still too football illiterate to adapt to a proper NRL system and we get another Seibood situation.

Kevvie is not going to be the one that takes us to the top, but he is the one we need right now, until the squad can get itself onto a good path and the R&R either lands a big fish to take us to the next level (like Knights did with Ponga) or finds a superstar kid that can be a focal point for our attack (like the one they let go to warriors last year).

At this stage Cobbo is a strike outside back, but he looks miles from being a Latrell/Turbo/Teddy equivalent for us... and Mam is ultra raw playing what he sees, but he needs to show that he can play in a system and still be that dynamic player who plays eyes up, which is what Cody does for Souths.

Who knows maybe Mozer will be the saviour... but the fact is we haven't been able to find a saviour in the spine from our pathways for a long time now.

I wouldve liked to see a Neil Henry or similar come in as an assistant this off season to setup the attacking structure of the team and a defensive coach that will teach them the current NRL principals / philosophies of defence (ie. wrestling and winning the ruck)... whilst Kevvie remains the player manager so it's not all Seibold style Football University 101.

When the squad can learn to play like a proper NRL team and remain a cohesive squad with the right culture and attitude, then you can think about whether Kevvie needs to be replaced.... but we could also see how Kevvie goes when he has a team that can complete at above 60% for two games in a row.
TBF, we've lacked the smarts in our football department to recognise and retain future spine talent. We could've and should've had Reece Walsh & Sam Walker ripening up in our system right now.

Thankfully, the current football department appears better equipped to manage a similar situation should it arise in the future.

I don't particularly like the man and he is unproven, but what do people think about Cam Smith? From all reports he has a great footy brain, he seems like a bit of a narcissist/sociopath which is useful in highly stressful jobs which coaching the Broncos is, although also puts a lot of people off sides. Also really young which means if he is successful, he would be a good long term option.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky24
  • Dee
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Galah
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.