Three things about Darius...

He could be the Simon Katich of rugby league..

but has a fair way to go to get there. 8-)

Cruz said:
Boyd is an alright player, he has speed and has been doing the job...why bag the kid
Hardly a bagging. Call it constructive criticism.
| * kelsey * | said:
As soon as he puts a foot wrong, I'll be the first to pounce and say I told you so! [icon_razz1
Let's hope that day never arrives [icon_pray.
spoonbled said:
if we got rid of Boyd tomorrow im sure 99% of teams would have them in their first grade squad the next week.
WHOA, I just heard 15 CEOs fall off their leather chairs. :D
Denny Crane said:
He could be the Simon Katich of rugby league..
[icon_lol1.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Boyd either, just the simple things sometimes...
for instance, remember that 'match winning' try against the chooks? Good on him for getting it, but it would have been much simpler if he dived on the ball, I was talking to a mate about it, and we were both adamant abotu that fact, in the big games that would be the difference! its something minor but still very crucial.
He's faster than I thought, which is good, and he's an above average finisher, but its tough these days, it seems you need superstars from 1-17, you can't help it, I DO think our wingers position has been the weakest since sailor/lote, (obviously the 7 and 9 but we've always had lockyer).
To be honest Reece seems solid, but raw, how long until he finds his gorund?... I've seen a few games of Kemp before, personally i would have liked to see him blooded in 07, I hate the Storm but one good thing I like is how Bellamy bloods his players, Bennet likes to give them like 2-3 first grade games a year... he has his ways I suppose.
Still, I reckon Kemp should have been blooded 07.

Why would you spend money on superstar ($300k+) wingers when they are only a minor part to a team? A good play maker will put any half decent winger over the line. When defending it is usually the centres who stuff up and make the wingers look like out right fools who ultimately cop the blame. Also, nothing frustrates me more than hearing people yelling backs to run straight when the ball carrier would have been told by the people who know where to run. Watch the other players when a winger is returning the ball and you will see team mates pointing to the centre of the field.

Here here Chook Herron, you know what you're talking about!

Also for those who complain about not running straight.

Exhibit A: Steve Turner, Storm vs Sharks. Picked up a loose ball near the corner and headed straight up the sideline. Bundled into touch.

Exhibit B: Billy Slater, Storm vs Sharks. Picked up a loose ball or kick near the corner and headed straight up the sideline. Bundled into touch.

At least we know that won't happen with Darius! And that's exactly why he's told to head in field when carting the ball off his own line.

If he was given the ball on the wing in attack and then ran across field aimlessly, another story.

Coxy said:
Here here Chook Herron, you know what you're talking about!

Also for those who complain about not running straight.

Exhibit A: Steve Turner, Storm vs Sharks. Picked up a loose ball near the corner and headed straight up the sideline. Bundled into touch.

Exhibit B: Billy Slater, Storm vs Sharks. Picked up a loose ball or kick near the corner and headed straight up the sideline. Bundled into touch.

At least we know that won't happen with Darius! And that's exactly why he's told to head in field when carting the ball off his own line.

If he was given the ball on the wing in attack and then ran across field aimlessly, another story.

Yeah but we arn't talking about picking the ball up from sideline, we are talking about 10m+ infield, he runs... sideways, not straight, not diagonal towards centre... sideways.

In saying that, it's really been the only beef Ive had with him in the first two games. I think he's playing quite well and I hope it continues

I noticed that a lot in 2006-07, but not so much in the first two games. In fact, only run like that that was noticeable was against Penrith when he ran back in goal. I was screaming blue murder, but he surprised everybody and got back into the field of play.

I think he's got a bit of the "Stu Kelly" syndrome about him. People remember and amplify his bad points and when he does something good it's like "yeah, well, about time" and forget it the second he does anything else slightly bad.

As I said, I'm not a massive fan of him, in all the teams I picked for this year he wasn't in them, but I just find it tiring the same old criticism being levelled against him when he's NOT doing that bad.

Leading try scorer, Top 5 in metres gained and amongst the leaders in line breaks

Yes still a long way to go in the season but he has started very well.

They say it takes a player at least 50 games in the top grade to start making his mark.

Is this Darius's time? time will tell.

Frank the Tank said:
Frank has never been that hopeful of Boyd turning into anything great, and as such has never really been that disappointed in Boyds lackluster performances. I thought he has been impressive this year though, and the extra bulk from last year is helping him immensely.

Don't you mean "Frank thought he has been impressive this year"?? You're slipping [icon_wink

Coxy said:
I'm sure they're given the same direction about running to the centre of the field as everyone else. However as 'thinking' footballers they chose to try something different. So it didn't pay off on the two occasions you've chosen to highlight, big whoop, at least they had a go. I remember a certain Mr Slater scoring one of SOO's most memorable tries with a chip and chase - bet he didn't need the coach to instruct him to do that.
Herron said:
Why would you spend money on superstar ($300k+) wingers
So you wouldn't spend $300K on a Wendall or Lote in their prime?
Coxy said:
I think he's got a bit of the "Stu Kelly" syndrome about him.
[icon_non nothing wrong with Stu
Frank the Tank said:
That was Franks inner person speaking. Don't worry, Frank will put him in his place.
[icon_lol1.

trigrhappi said:
Coxy said:
I'm sure they're given the same direction about running to the centre of the field as everyone else. However as 'thinking' footballers they chose to try something different. So it didn't pay off on the two occasions you've chosen to highlight, big whoop, at least they had a go. I remember a certain Mr Slater scoring one of SOO's most memorable tries with a chip and chase - bet he didn't need the coach to instruct him to do that.

Was he rucking the ball out from his own goal line at the time? No.

Most teams would have set things they're instructed to do when bringing the ball out of danger.
And most teams would have some set moves/patterns to use in attack, but in general it'd be release the hounds - especially if you've just picked up a grubber kick and you've just got the fullback to beat, as Slater did on that occasion.

Coxy said:

Exhibit C: Justin Hodges, Broncos v Bulldogs. Prelim final, picked up a ball closer to the sideline than the middle of the field, ran across field to the middle of the field THEN straightened up, Berrigan runs 60metres to score a spectacular try.

ohyeah said:
It's a known fact around Red Hill that for the past 2 years Boyd kept on getting picked even when he was playing like rubbish was because Wayne is very close to his family. Boyd's family is going through some very difficult times. I guess Wayne felt he would only make things worst if he was to send him to QLD Cup towards the end of the 07 season. But credit to Boyd, he has played a bit better this year.
Or Bennett saw talent in him and tried to extract it from him. He is going to be a rep some day.

Like a lot of us, I've wondered why we have bothered with Boyd, but he has been great this year imo.

The most important thing he has shown this year is speed, and he looks the goods for mine.

Jebadude said:
Exhibit C: Justin Hodges, Broncos v Bulldogs. Prelim final, picked up a ball closer to the sideline than the middle of the field, ran across field to the middle of the field THEN straightened up, Berrigan runs 60metres to score a spectacular try.
Great example icon_thumbs_u . That's exactly the sort of opportunities Boyd doesn't identify. Currently, he sticks to his game plan - 'gotta get to the centre, gotta get to the centre, gotta get to the centre'. Hey he's still young, he spends a big slice of his life with footballers, their 'smarts' are bound to rub off on him sooner or later.
bob the Smasher said:
The most important thing he has shown this year is speed, and he looks the goods for mine.
[icon_ee Then sign up Asafa Powell and be done with it.
Coxy said:
Most teams...yada yada yada
Thanks for the league lesson Gus. [icon_razz1
The point you've found hard to comprehend is that Darius lacks the vision to know when to stick with the plan and when to take an opportunity that presents itself.

trigrhappi said:
Jebadude said:
Great example icon_thumbs_u . That's exactly the sort of opportunities Boyd doesn't identify. Currently, he sticks to his game plan - 'gotta get to the centre, gotta get to the centre, gotta get to the centre'. Hey he's still young, he spends a big slice of his life with footballers, their 'smarts' are bound to rub off on him sooner or later.

Hodges is a big play player too. He is there to start those big plays. Boyd does great things defensively, he has a great football brain, and does his job in attack. Showing with 4 tries in 2 games and not one try being scored down his side yet. He won't be looked upon to bust a game wide open (although he did this against Penrith) the way Hodges did that night. But at the moment he is doing a great job on the wing and a nice combination with Michaels.

Jebadude said:
Hodges is a big play player too.
and here's hoping [icon_pray. Darius becomes "a big play player too". Can't have too many "big play players". icon_thumbs_u

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.