Three things about Darius...

ohyeah said:
Boyd is a very average player.
He's certainly got some improvement left in him.
BroncoMatt said:
I didnt realise Boyd was awared a 2 point try for that effort? [eusa_eh eusa_think
zzzzzzzzzz :roll: The point was he made the 'run of the mill' look a lot harder than it had to be. I also said it was a fine effort to get into position in the first place, but feel free to only see what you want. You're not related to my wife are you? [icon_shady
Coxy said:
And one thing I know from my experience in sport ...
Here we go again Gus Cocksee telling us what its like in the real world. Like he's the only one to ever attend a training session or play team sport. [eusa_naugh Has anyone ever seen you two in the same room?
mick! said:
I'd like to pose another question to many on here who bag out players like Darius.
You mean there's more of them [icon_ee [icon_ee ...just joking Darius, you've just got a couple of areas to work on champ icon_thumbs_u
mick! said:
With a strict salary cap in place, exactly how could you afford a team full of superstars?
Under the table payments from wealthy businessmen.
mick! said:
And FTR, 4 tries (= 1st in the NRL) and 12 tackle breaks(!!) (= 4th in the NRL) in two matches tells me that he's not quite as "soft" in 08 so far as he has been in previous years.
That's only because everyone else has gotten injured, he's practically the last man standing!! ...joke people, we love you Boydy, just work on a couple of areas of your game OK icon_thumbs_u
Russo said:
Trig you started this thread to ask a few questions and even say this is not an attack on his ability, but in the end that is all you have done through the whole thread is attack him.
That's bullshit, I've been defending my original criticisms throughout this thread. Go back and read it all over again v e r y s l o w l y and you will find a sprinkling of love as well.
Russo said:
The likes of Carne and Hancock ran sideways all the time to find the hole in the advancing defensive line
My point exactly. These wingers had the ability to pick the hole and go through it. Our sweet Darius has yet to develop that ability.
mick! said:
and I certainly don't take any of Cocksee's posts particularly seriously (as some are starting to do imo).
fixed up your typo MIck. Cheers mate [icon_drun

mick! said:
I don't know whether you were referring to me with "Cocksey's merry men"
I didn't think you were a lover of the ****, Mick. Unfortunately there are some suss characters around here that are. Be on the lookout for them [icon_shady

Frankly if Michael Devere was somehow a lesser player because his described as having footy brains then call me an idiot for having him as one of the first Bronco players picked in my side, defensively a real asset to any side he was apart of making his inside or outside man look better defensively and despite ignorant claims of lacking attacking capability knew how to position himself extremely well for scoring opportunities, not to mention a very reliable goalkicker, he wasnt a superstar but so what, his contributions to the Broncos meant no less and despite having a backline STARSTUDDED from fullback to the halves had no problems making his way into the side.

ohyeah said:
Can Boyd kick goals? NO
I would have DeVere over Boyd any day of the week.
You missed the point. Boyd supposed to have this "footy brain" only because when players that are usually labeled that, are players that are rubbish in attack.

Since when is kicking goals a requirement of a first grade player to be of substance? its a nice thing to have but unless your the team's regular kicker or backup its not really that important in the scheme of things if at all. I'm sure I could point to plenty of players past and present who haven't kicked a goal in their career or have a very low conversion rate, no one thinks of them any less. Corey Parker would still be as highly rated to me if he wasn't a goalkicker.

Michael Devere didn't possess speed, didn't possess agility, didn't possess strength or size of the likes of Sailor or Tuqiri, but he knew how to position himself and he knew that if he supported those players who could create opportunities that they would come and he maintained a very healthy try tally throughout his career, he overcame his phyisical limitations using his vision and thought and he did so with hard work and time. If he tried to play the game the same way as some of you expect every winger or centre to do you think he would be as good as he was?

I can't believe some of you clowns continually dragging this thread on. Boyd wasn't at his best last year we all probably agree. This year he has 4 tries from 2 games has showed a massive improvement and has gained some much needed speed. If he continues to improve he will be a very good winger. Let him play and let him get confident after his good performance so far this year.

Beads6 said:
I can't believe some of you clowns continually dragging this thread on.
I know what you mean. I can't believe some of the meaningless posts that keep going on and on with useless dribble that just keeps repeating itself again and again because some people just can't get the message so others then have to repeat the message over and over just so they can bump the post back to the top. Then when things die down they say something insulting to get a reaction then start a flame war.
Does that summarise what you were talking about idiot? _woohoo_

ohyeah said:
GCBRONCO said:
ohyeah said:
Can Boyd kick goals? NO
You missed the point. Boyd supposed to have this "footy brain" only because when players that are usually labeled that, are players that are rubbish in attack.

Since when is kicking goals a requirement of a first grade player to be of substance? its a nice thing to have but unless your the team's regular kicker or backup its not really that important in the scheme of things if at all. I'm sure I could point to plenty of players past and present who haven't kicked a goal in their career or have a very low conversion rate, no one thinks of them any less. Corey Parker would still be as highly rated to me if he wasn't a goalkicker.

You're the one that brought up DeVere's goal kicking :roll: If you're going to compare DeVere to Boyd then that's one thing Boyd lacks among many other things.

I have no interest in comparing Boyd and Devere, rather was pointing out Devere's strength's that existed in area's that are often overlooked by those who underestimate the contributions made by a player like Michael Devere, in the instance of goalkicking it really only applies for a player in a position where its needed, I don't think any less of Langer, Walters or Lewis for not really possessing it.

I have no interest in this degrading further then it already has.

ohyeah said:
shit yeah, although Mick was a crap winger, excellent centre, crap winger.

trigrhappi said:
Beads6 said:
I can't believe some of you clowns continually dragging this thread on.
I know what you mean. I can't believe some of the meaningless posts that keep going on and on with useless dribble that just keeps repeating itself again and again because some people just can't get the message so others then have to repeat the message over and over just so they can bump the post back to the top. Then when things die down they say something insulting to get a reaction then start a flame war.
Does that summarise what you were talking about idiot? _woohoo_

Mate it's a Broncos forum. It's here for discussion about our favourite team and could certainly do without such things as the childish name-calling coming from yourself.

You started a topic. Others don't agree with what you are saying so we put our views forward. Then you debate back. Fair, totally fair. But now you've got a problem with us letting the thread go on and on?? Why aren't we entitled to rebuttal as well??

If there is one thing I hate about a fair few of the members of this forum, it's their expectation for every player in the Broncos squad to be of representative quality. For years I have listened to suggestions of dropping players such as David Stagg and Casey McGuire because they weren't able to handle it at State of Origin level. They didn't care about how they were performing for the Broncos. Stagg and McGuire could've averaged 5 tries at match and they'd still drop them. Exactly the same situation here. We have a very solid winger in Darius Boyd who is just continuing to improve week-in-week-out but because he isn't a superstar of the game, then that is reason to criticise?? Fair dinkum. The only positive I can gain from this is that the Broncos must be performing so bloody well that all the negative nancy's out there such as yourself are running out of things to criticise. Next time do us a favour and just put up a thread about how Corey Parker's grey hair is giving you the shits.

Coxy said:
Actually you can. If you've got 17 blokes who all want to do the "big play", then you don't have anyone willing to do the "percenters". The little covering tackle (Stagg), the dummyhalf scoots from deep in your own territory (Boyd)...

Hodges, great big play player, but lazy as hell, gets bored and makes mistakes in defence too - see Kenny-Dowall try that should've been awarded last week. Wouldn't trade him for any other centre in the game, but he can't be relied upon to do the "percenters".

side topic but agree on Hodges, fastly becoming my favourite bronco, but I don't like those 'almost-Gasnier-like' qualities he tends to have sometimes, goes missing when the game is over, lazy, etc.
BUT
I find it hard to criticise Hodges, especially when he's the best performed bronco out there most of the time. His general performance and consistency over the past two years has been nothing short of outstanding imo. Good stuff Hodges.

I guess my further argument on Boyd in relation to the above is, With hodges, the good FAR FARRRRR outweighs the harm, its not even comparable, Im sure everyone agrees with that, on the other hand, with Boyd, the good and harm are quite close. (Of course, it depends on how much 'harm' you think he is doing)
Like I said before, to be honest, I'm not his biggest fan, but I won't deny that he is solid, won't deny I'd rather a superstar, won't deny rather him than a $300k + winger. It's a tough one, but I have to admit, just form the 3 or 4 games I've seen of Kemp, I'd like to give him a crack, Or someone else a crack at that matter, all im saying is, he hardly seems to fight for his spot.

Jebadude said:
Mate it's a Broncos forum. It's here for discussion about our favourite team and could certainly do without such things as the childish name-calling coming from yourself.
but, but, but I didn't start it sir, he did!
Jebadude said:
You started a topic. Others don't agree with what you are saying so we put our views forward. Then you debate back. Fair, totally fair. But now you've got a problem with us letting the thread go on and on?? Why aren't we entitled to rebuttal as well??
Ofcourse you are. I was being sarcastic in that post. "Now c'mon come over here and sit on uncle trig's lap...
... there that's better. Now you tell uncle trig all about your little friend Darius"
Jebadude said:
We have a very solid winger in Darius Boyd who is just continuing to improve week-in-week-out but because he isn't a superstar of the game, then that is reason to criticise??
Nothin to do with the Superstar thing, infact I could do a similar post for every player in the team (now there's an idea). Guess what, none of them are perfect [icon_ee
Jebadude said:
Next time do us a favour and just put up a thread about how Corey Parker's grey hair is giving you the shits.
Agreed. icon_thumbs_u

It's quite sad giving immature responses when you pick apart someone's post.

trigrhappi said:
Jebadude said:
but, but, but I didn't start it sir, he did!
Jebadude said:
Ofcourse you are. I was being sarcastic in that post. "Now c'mon come over here and sit on uncle trig's lap...
... there that's better. Now you tell uncle trig all about your little friend Darius"
Jebadude said:
We have a very solid winger in Darius Boyd who is just continuing to improve week-in-week-out but because he isn't a superstar of the game, then that is reason to criticise??
Nothin to do with the Superstar thing, infact I could do a similar post for every player in the team (now there's an idea). Guess what, none of them are perfect [icon_ee
Jebadude said:
Next time do us a favour and just put up a thread about how Corey Parker's grey hair is giving you the shits.
Agreed. icon_thumbs_u

Mate you are really starting to give some of us this shits. If you going to say something make it relevant to the topic.

Til the Bicentennary of Rugby League as far as I'm concerned.

could not have happened to a nicer bloke. [icon_evillaugh

lol, Can't he just make another account and use that and start posting again? Anyhow lol he really needs to learn some manners lmao.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • kman
  • Wolfie
  • barker
  • Morkel
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • maddo
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.