NEWS Thrown in isolation and forced to urinate in a water bottle: Inside David Fifita’s Bali cell

I didn't call them degenerate, don't put words in my mouth to try and suit your argument. They were bogans when they got on the plane, so it's not a Bali issue.
I wasn't attempting to put words in your mouth. For me being a bogan and a degenerate goes hand in hand.

If you have such a low opinion of these blokes its any wonder you follow the sport.

For the amount of shit Fifita has got himself into whilst on holidays, I am now more than confident he is going to re-sign with the club. No way is Fifita's mum letting him leave her sight for the time being especially until he matures. His captaincy future has taken a bit of hit however.

Depends who you ask. Don't be bogans, don't go to Bali, pretty simple. It's like going to Nigeria and being shocked a westerner gets kidnapped.
There are definitely some aspects of Bali and Kuta in particular that are pretty ordinary, but honestly, to write off an amazing island and people, let alone Indonesia in general is extremely narrow minded.

There are definitely some aspects of Bali and Kuta in particular that are pretty ordinary, but honestly, to write off an amazing island and people, let alone Indonesia in general is extremely narrow minded.

I'm pretty narrow-minded then.

With an 'amazing' government that openly conducts genocide on the west side of New Guinea, while the UN and the free world feigns ignorance.

With an 'amazing' government that openly conducts genocide on the west side of New Guinea, while the UN and the free world feigns ignorance.
Liking a place and the people who live there does not require you to love their government. It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

I've been all around the world and visited countries where some of the governments do some pretty terrible stuff, but I certainly wouldn't write off a place or the people there based on stuff that for the most part is out of their control.

Our own government for example does some pretty shitty things and I would certainly not condemn Australia as a place or Australians as a people on that basis.

Last edited:
My old man went to Bali when I was younger, he said it was a pretty horrible environment with thousands of homeless people. He said they walked along the beachfront and were stopped every 10 steps by a local trying to scam them or beg for money. This was pre-Bali bombing.

My old man went to Bali when I was younger, he said it was a pretty horrible environment with thousands of homeless people. He said they walked along the beachfront and were stopped every 10 steps by a local trying to scam them or beg for money. This was pre-Bali bombing.

Hot tip, don’t go travelling anywhere in south east asia if you don’t want thousands of people trying to sell you shit.
My then two year old became so accustomed to us saying no thank you he began saying it for us before the people approached. It was gold.

Last edited:
Homelessness and begging in my experience is pretty rare. Even rudimentary housing in Indonesia is fairly inexpensive. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of poor people, but homelessness and begging is rare even relative to some western cities. Plenty of people trying to sell you stuff on every corner, but that is definitely not begging.

Pre Bali-bombings was also 20 years ago and Indonesia as a developing country has had an annual economic growth rate of something like 5% per annum for basically that whole 20 years, so whilst it's still definitely poor on a GDP level, it's growing overall and slowly but surely so is their standard of living.

Last edited:
Homelessness and begging in my experience is pretty rare. Even rudimentary housing in Indonesia is fairly inexpensive. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of poor people, but homelessness and begging is rare even relative to some western cities. Plenty of people trying to sell you stuff on every corner, but that is definitely not begging.

Pre Bali-bombings was also 20 years ago and Indonesia as a developing country has had an annual economic growth rate of something like 5% per annum for basically that whole 20 years, so whilst it's still definitely poor on a GDP level, it's growing overall and slowly but surely so is their standard of living.

I certainly imagine it was worse 20 years ago than it is today.

Hot tip, don’t go travelling anywhere in south east asia if you don’t want thousands of people trying to sell you shit.
My then two year old became so accustomed to us saying no thank you he began saying it for us before the people approached. It was gold.
That's far, far from a South East Asian phenomenon. Happens all over the world. Central and South America, the Carribean, Eastern Europe, Africa etc. It's part of life in developing countries with a huge street commerce presence and a huge amount of individal business owners.

I certainly imagine it was worse 20 years ago than it is today.
I haven't been going quite that long but even in the 15 years or so I have been I can see it changing right around Indonesia. People I met a decade ago that shared a motorbike within their family now own their own cars and homes, their kids go to proper schools etc. There is still massive income inequality but that's far from just an Indonesian problem.

Last edited:
The worst place I've been to for homelessness and begging was San Fransisco. Bali didn't even come close to what I saw in SF.

I quite like Bali, you have to be a dickhead to get in trouble there. I didn't want to go, but hubby made me and I'm glad I did. Nice people, beautiful scenery, spectacular surf.

Massive learning curve for our man Dave Fifita. Would have been scared out of his mind. At 19, I made dumb choices too. Just lucky to get away with it I guess.

Last edited:
Bali does have begging gangs though, but it's not that common outside of main roads, the Main issue is about people giving you a service then ripping you off in the process, but that is common elsewhere in 3rd world countries.

I'm not stupid I can see why people get into alot of trouble over there because especially in the tourist areas like Kuta there is traps everywhere, the cops love to sell people drugs, hoping to bust them for it as well, cops also pick on you for everything wanting a bribe and you know if you don't pay they will ping you for something else.

Last edited:

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrRobot
  • davidp
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • TimWhatley
  • Scorchie
  • Battler
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.