Thurston v Lewis

Agreed. Johns' Origin record is surprisingly poor.

13 wins 8 loses and 2 draws out of 23 games, won some mom awards, won a couple of series on his own, played in 2 NSW clean sweeps playing some big roles and won a series and drew another as captain. Pretty nice record to me.

Especially considering that just before and just after the Johns era NSW sucked ass. He'd definitely be my Halfback in any NSW side picked.

Well when you consider the record of the Blues the past 10 years, Joey's record in comparison is unimaginable elite.

Especially considering that just before and just after the Johns era NSW sucked ass. He'd definitely be my Halfback in any NSW side picked.

Before Johns debuted in Origin NSW had won 3 straight series and 4 out of the previous 5.

Before Johns debuted in Origin NSW had won 3 straight series and 4 out of the previous 5.

True, must've just been after he retired then, not sure why I had that in my head.

NSW had won 3 in a row prior to Johns' debut.

EDIT: Bman beat me to it.

He lost in his debut series and got dropped for the third and final game. And that was against a Queensland outfit that couldn't pick any Broncos.

For a time he couldn't even get the halfback role.

In fact his record at halfback is 15 games - 7 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws.

And I can tell you only one state was celebrating those draws.

I think some people forget how good Locky actually was at fullback

How is amount of games played the definitive sign on contribution?

Nah, Locky was incredible at fullback. I still think that was his best position.

But this is about contributions to the Maroons team and Locky contributed significantly less (in terms of games played at least) than Slater has at fullback.

Lockyers overall value to the maroons cause is the deciding factor for me.

Thurston is probably the unlucky one as well because i think Langer, Lockyer and Lewis all deserve to be in the team for their contribution to the maroon cause.

I think some people forget how good Locky actually was at fullback

If anything, fans forget his flaws and assume he was always as good as his 2003 counterpart when in reality he had as many blunders in him as Slater.

Fullback Series Wins
Slater - 6
Lockyer - 2 (2 Draws)

And Slater was integral in every single one.

Only department Locky can be considered better is kicking.

Not knocking Locky. He was great from 2001-2003 but Slater has been just as great for longer.

It isn't imo, I nearly had Beetson as starting prop in my GOAT QLD Origin team.

Beetson's second half was amazing.

However the likes of Price, Scott, Myles & Bella produced more than Artie.

Could make a case for others too.

Lockyers overall value to the maroons cause is the deciding factor for me.

Thurston is probably the unlucky one as well because i think Langer, Lockyer and Lewis all deserve to be in the team for their contribution to the maroon cause.
Yeah, this... unless you fit Lewis in at lock, and Thurston at five-eight. :wink:

If anything, fans forget his flaws and assume he was always as good as his 2003 counterpart when in reality he had as many blunders in him as Slater.

Fullback Series Wins
Slater - 6
Lockyer - 2 (2 Draws)

And Slater was integral in every single one.

Not knocking Locky. He was great from 2001-2003 but Slater has been just as great for longer.

Have to disagree with you mate. I think at fullback Locky was more impressive in probably weaker sides. If I recall correctly he won 2 man of the series awards between 2001-2003. The only direct comparison I guess you can really make is how they both went at fullback in their first 3 full series at fullback if you want to compare with Locky from 2001-2003. If Locky never made the switch to 5/8 we wouldn't have seen much of slater at Fullback imo.

A GOAT team is hard since everybody's perspective is skewed. My team is heavy on recent players 'cause I'm just a young fella in the grand scheme of things. Also, I hate putting Slater at wing but I reckon he has done too much to miss out, as has Lockyer.

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Meninga
5. Shearer
6. Lewis (c)
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Gillmeister
12. Tallis
13. Lindner

14. Thurston
15. Miles
16. Bella/Dowling
17. Vautin

I reckon there is no debate there, Slater doesn't even have a kicking game compared to Lockyer.

Otherwise it is very close across the board.

Have to disagree with you mate. I think at fullback Locky was more impressive in probably weaker sides. If I recall correctly he won 2 man of the series awards between 2001-2003. The only direct comparison I guess you can really make is how they both went at fullback in their first 3 full series at fullback if you want to compare with Locky from 2001-2003. If Locky never made the switch to 5/8 we wouldn't have seen much of slater at Fullback imo.

Why?

How can you compare them over their entire time in origin? You either pick Billy's best three series and compare them against Lockys best three at Fullback or you have to compare their first three at fullback Imo. It's difficult to make a direct comparison anyway.

Lockyer imo has been a far better player and more influential overall in the origin arena than Slater but that's over two different positions. It's all about opinions at the end of the day and for me personally I don't see much in Billy's game that Locky didn't do at fullback.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.