Thurston v Lewis

Slater's first few Origin years bring him down. I know everyone still blows their load over him, but he was so loose - always good for passes over the sideline and dropped ball.

You guys are acting like Slater has won 8 in a row by himself. Lockyer was a better player in a team that wasn't as good. He is hindered by the fact that he was great at two positions but that shouldn't mean he misses out on a GOAT team. Also, any talk of future immortals means nothing (like it means something now) until Lockyer is named.

How can you compare them over their entire time in origin? You either pick Billy's best three series and compare them against Lockys best three at Fullback or you have to compare their first three at fullback Imo. It's difficult to make a direct comparison anyway.

Lockyer imo has been a far better player and more influential overall in the origin arena than Slater but that's over two different positions. It's all about opinions at the end of the day and for me personally I don't see much in Billy's game that Locky didn't do at fullback.

Even going by that logic, Lockyer still spent enough time there to gain a successful gauge. It isn't like he only played three series and they happened to be 3 great series, he had 6 and had his share of ups and downs too.

Even then, Slater's longevity shouldn't be minimised. That's just moving the posts to suit Locky.

I'm not arguing who the better Origin player is.

I'm only comparing them as Origin fullbacks.

Which reminds me, we never did a Walters v Lockyer - Who's The Better 5/8 thread.

I still think Locky was better in a worse team BP :lalala:

That's fine.

I just fail.

Fixed.

1249724784615.png

This is interesting reading in the program for Wednesday- Best ever Origin team using only stats.

1. Belcher- 18 line breaks in 16 games more than any other fullback, line break assists 7, try assists 5, tries 4.
2. Boyd- 42 tackle breaks, 21 line breaks, most one on one tackles of any winger, and error every 2.5 games.
3. Meninga- Most line breaks 25, 141 tackle breaks also the most, 76 offloads second most, 6 tries, 11 try assists and created 19 line breaks.
4. Inglis- Second most tries 15, 111 tackle breaks, 22 line breaks, 18 errors in 24 games.
5. Folau- 28 tackle breaks in just 8 games, averaged more 10m per hit up.
6. Lewis- Ran the ball 316 times, 29 line breaks for others, 12 for himself, 7 tries and set up 17, 94 tackle breaks, 93 offloads.
7. Johns- 78 tackle breaks resulting in 11 line breaks, and av 62 running metres per match, set up 12 tries and 15 line breaks.
8. Gallen- 183 metres per match, 33 more than the next best prop, completed 94% of tackles.
9. Farah- 6 try assists, more metres per match 58, 43 tackles per game at 92%
10. Mason- 145 metres, five offloads, eight tackle breaks, missed just three tackles in 109. Third most effective to ever play in the front row.
11. Fitzgibbon- Averaged more than 100m per game, broke through 10 tackles, 12 offloads, 34 tackles per game at 95%
12. Cleal- six tackle breaks per game the most of any second rower, 7 line breaks, three tries, set up one try, is the only edge defender to have 50 one on one tackles.
13. Parker- 12 tackle breaks, 18 offloads, 31 tackle at 92% and 158m per game.

It stats lock was the hardest to pick: Clyde ran 140m a match, but missed 25% of his tackles, Lindner missed 25% too but made 51 tackle breaks and made 12 line breaks, Moore 40 tackles per game, 119m per game but average two errors per game.

Legitimately surprised by Farah. Small sample size?

Have to disagree with you mate. I think at fullback Locky was more impressive in probably weaker sides. If I recall correctly he won 2 man of the series awards between 2001-2003. The only direct comparison I guess you can really make is how they both went at fullback in their first 3 full series at fullback if you want to compare with Locky from 2001-2003. If Locky never made the switch to 5/8 we wouldn't have seen much of slater at Fullback imo.

Game 2 2001
Game 2 2006
Game 2 2010

Lockyer's MOTM.

Legitimately surprised by Farah. Small sample size?

Farah 6 try assists in 11 games. 58 metres per game.

Smith 7 try assists from 33 games
Buderus 2 try assists from 21 games

Meters per game.

Farah 58
Smith 56
Buderus 44

Defence Farah's 43 at 92% is the best from any hooker.

Interesting post, 1910. Some very surprising names. Will have to pick it up.

2. Boyd- 42 tackle breaks, 21 line breaks, most one on one tackles of any winger, and error every 2.5 games.

This doesn't make sense. I thought all Boyd had to do at Origin was fall over the line. JT and Inglis do all the work etc, etc... I absolutely refuse to believe these statistics.

I don't see anything Billy does that Locky didn't, but I don't see the extra bonus from Billy you get from Locky, a kicking game.

Except perform better in every category that matters for a fullback.

Standards have improved exponentially at the back since Locky played and kicking was more or less a perk.

I'll leave it there.

Nice to see symbol's view vindicated RE: Belcher.

Except perform better in every category that matters for a fullback.

Standards have improved exponentially at the back since Locky played and kicking was more or less a perk.

I'll leave it there.

Nice to see symbol's view vindicated RE: Belcher.

In your opinion.

Who to give the ball to in the clutch plays.
it could be argued that Lockyer single handedly started the streak,when he picked up that dropped ball from Hodgson. How many would've scored that try to win a series. That was the greatness of Locky, stats or no stats.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.