Time for a new coach. . .

Smith is contracted to the knights until the end of the 2010 season.

While i'm disappointed with ivan ATM, I dont totally think that its all his fault for the way were going, Id be happy to let a few Coach Killers go before we lose him, I just dont want to be one of those clubs that gets a new coach every 12 to 18 months.

Lets just fire Bruno and get Benny back!

And no Gus, No gus ever, i know hes a mastermind blah blah blah, but he can never seriously coach a QLD team.

Kaz said:
Smith is contracted to the knights until the end of the 2010 season.

So is Ivan so that works out nicely

I think it's interesting and relevant as to why Bennett is having such success at the Dragons in his first year, whereas Henjak is, ah, not.

As for alternatives, Warren Ryan or Gus Gould for mine.

Can we beg WB to come back? For some reason, i feel the players aren't putting in or don't have as much discipline under Henjak as they would under Bennett.

rnabokov said:
I think it's interesting and relevant as to why Bennett is having such success at the Dragons in his first year, whereas Henjak is, ah, not.

As for alternatives, Warren Ryan or Gus Gould for mine.

Forward pack, Attitude and obviously Bennett is the better coach.

Henjak is a first year coach give him a chance ffs.

I for one would never have given Ivan the job to start with. Why you may ask? because if you always do what you've always done... you always get what you've always gotten.

After all these years under WB Ivan offers pretty much just the same stuff, only not as good a version.

Under Ivan, just as under WB, we will start the season pretty well, we will look good in parts, really good from time and then hit the rep season. As almost a tradition we will fall to bits during this part of the season and under-go some form of a mid season slump. Then and with the insperational leadership of one or two players we'll bounce back and be there at the end of the season... then depending on the performances of one month of football, we'll either be champs, also rans or first out the door.

How do I know this? Because that's what we've been doing for almost the entire time we've been in the comp, about the same time we've been under WB or his prototype. The best thing the Broncos management or WB have done and they have always done it well, is to bring good players to the club, and so with good players across the board... the coach doesn't matter so much, he matters, but always having one of the world's best as you're captain helps.

Only thing is, the club has of late lost the ability to keep these good players, sooooo with less and less better players and having no magic worker as a coach, the performances become scratchy and inconsistant... like the Broncos for a few years now.

If Ivan wasn't here, the last person I would get back would be WB, and I wouldn't touch the cry baby Bellamy.

Who would I get if it was possible? Gus maybe, Henry perhaps, even Sheens... But mostly I would look at Meninga, he has become used to winning and THAT is a huge part of coaching. WB was never put to task over anything because the club always won enough to keep the questions away; now while big Mal suffered at Canberra a little, he now has a huge fan base, success behind him and a club that is capable of playing good football.

But this all needs to happen and happen soon before Ivan and Bruno guide us all the way to the wooden spoon!

Firstly I agree with many that Henjak needs to be given more of a chance.... but if I have to give an alternative it's Gus or GTFO

No one mentioned would be better than Ivan and the reasons he was given the role are still the reasons he has the role.... IF things dont work out, and the Broncos have very high standards and making the finals is one of them, Anthony Griffin is a first grade coach, he has very good man management skills, NRL experience and a proven track record, Im sure many at the Broncos will be watching the 20's progress closely... The guy is a winner...

Agree that Ivan needs to be given more of a chance.

If not him then Anthony Griffin or Terry Matterson.

Ivan does deserve more of a chance, but he needs to try and take it too. Some of his selections are bizarre and frankly his player development leaves a lot to be desired. Winterstein has been bad under the high ball all year and I see nothing to suggest he's improved. Michaels inability to pass and make correct attacking decisions as been bad all his career and that's definitely regressed (which is almost impossible!). McCullough's kicking game is cod ordinary and he hasn't looked like putting a good kick in all year.

As for the alternatives, nobody in-house. The whole from with-in philosophy is becoming a bit out-dated and I don't really think it offers much. I agree Gus is a great option, but not a fan of Meninga. Neil Henry is the real tactican behind the Queensland victories.

It wont happen either, but the comments that Matthew Johns has made (when he's not being a dickhead) suggest he has a footballing philosophy that I think the Broncos would benefit from.

I thought he was given a year contract? Yes I think he should go unless he turns things around big time.
I'm not saying sack him now but if end of the season he can't get the team to at least perform at first grade standard then yes he should go. The coach also has a VERY big say in who the club recruits / retains and the area has been absolutely pathetic this season more so than any other I can remember, letting go of Eastwood, Stagg and Boyd while they all had contracts for this year was a ridiculous completely stupid decision even if they weren't performing they would be better in reserves then another team benefiting from it.

Ivan isn't a club legend, he isn't an acomplished coach he isn't owed anything by the club so I don't see why we shouldn't explore alternatives if by seasons end we fail to improve, having said that Cullen is the first needs to go and I don't necessarily thing Henjak is the main problem, it starts from the top and until that's fixed(in other words sack cullen for a start) then the only improvements that can be made at an on field level are stop gap solutions like players coming from retirement. There's no shame in Henjak not being offered an extension, he isn't thrown out completley but he is simply relegated from the top job and in a few years time with a bit more experience can perhaps have his time again. I'm not going to bag Henjak or go on about it but I'm simply giving an opinion to this thread, Henjak has a year to prove himself and if their is no contract in the way then the Broncos should be exploring ALL options if Henjak is still considered the best option then I'm fine seeing him go for longer.

Chumbason said:
I for one would never have given Ivan the job to start with. Why you may ask? because if you always do what you've always done... you always get what you've always gotten.

After all these years under WB Ivan offers pretty much just the same stuff, only not as good a version.

Under Ivan, just as under WB, we will start the season pretty well, we will look good in parts, really good from time and then hit the rep season. As almost a tradition we will fall to bits during this part of the season and under-go some form of a mid season slump. Then and with the insperational leadership of one or two players we'll bounce back and be there at the end of the season... then depending on the performances of one month of football, we'll either be champs, also rans or first out the door.

How do I know this? Because that's what we've been doing for almost the entire time we've been in the comp, about the same time we've been under WB or his prototype. The best thing the Broncos management or WB have done and they have always done it well, is to bring good players to the club, and so with good players across the board... the coach doesn't matter so much, he matters, but always having one of the world's best as you're captain helps.

Only thing is, the club has of late lost the ability to keep these good players, sooooo with less and less better players and having no magic worker as a coach, the performances become scratchy and inconsistant... like the Broncos for a few years now.

If Ivan wasn't here, the last person I would get back would be WB, and I wouldn't touch the cry baby Bellamy.

Who would I get if it was possible? Gus maybe, Henry perhaps, even Sheens... But mostly I would look at Meninga, he has become used to winning and THAT is a huge part of coaching. WB was never put to task over anything because the club always won enough to keep the questions away; now while big Mal suffered at Canberra a little, he now has a huge fan base, success behind him and a club that is capable of playing good football.

But this all needs to happen and happen soon before Ivan and Bruno guide us all the way to the wooden spoon!

I agree with everything you said excepted the bolded part. I believe Queensland's success in SOO is more due to Neil Henry rather than Meninga. Meninga is great for inspiration, helping players work together, mateship, culture etc. I believe Henry did the serious stuff.

I would have really liked to have Henry with us. The Cowboys had a slow start, as you would with a new coach, new members etc, but they are starting to hitting their stride.

Henjak can only do what has been shown to him. I highly doubt WB would be successful at the Broncos this year. The problems we are having this year are not new and have been present for years, the problem though, as chumba said, is we have a problem in keeping our players and recruiting good ones.

Gould would be a great solution. Even though he is a blue, he has a great tactical mind and is not afraid of making tough decisions (which not one has been made this year). He knows how to identify weaknesses and knows how to strengthen those weaknesses. Even on the reruitment side of things he knows who to let go and who to keep.

Henjak will see out his contract, but he won't be retained beyond 2010 IMO.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Dexter
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.