Time for a new coach. . .

IMO, clubs need to give a new coach at least 2 years in charge. Take Brian smith for example, if he was sack last year in his first year at the club (when the club wasn't going that great), then i doubt they would be sitting where they are on the ladder now. I think it can also take the team a little time to adapt to the new coaches style and they way he wants the team to play

think you mean 2007 Foordy, but yeah you're right.

There were massive calls to sack Bennett in 1991........

Just FYI, I don't think Henjak should be hung out to dry. Until the players put in ( or appear to put in) a bit more effort, no matter what he says they can't win.

A First year at anything is tough, ever changed jobs? takin up a new sport? joined a new team?

Give the guy some support, if it doesnt work out down the track well we can say we gave him his time and plan for the future until then. But for the time being its not going to do us any good demanding the coaches head after every loss. People were like this with Bennett in most years, now it seems the consensus here is we'd have him back in a heart beat. The reality is the competition is tighter these days, we may suffer some sub-par performances but as long as the high morals/standards approach of the Broncos stand above everything else we can always come back stronger. You've only got to look at the re-building of the Bulldogs this year for hope of that.

Smith and Henjak are a bit different in nature. Smith has at least got a proven record - there isn't really anything about Henjak to suggest he is worth keeping, at least not from what I've seen so far. Losing is ok, but he hasn't really shown anything to get too excited about. Again, his player development is very disappointing.

Regardless, if a scapegoat is what you are after, then the topic should really read Time for a new CEO. Some of his recent decisions are a complete and utter joke - not preventing Eastwood from playing for another NRL club, fining Clinton 50k etc.

Ari Gold said:
Regardless, if a scapegoat is what you are after, then the topic should really read Time for a new CEO. Some of his recent decisions are a complete and utter joke - not preventing Eastwood from playing for another NRL club, fining Clinton 50k etc.

Not to mention his continuous interference with the football team. When Wayne came to the club he, Porky, Barry etc agreed on one thing - Coach runs the team, Board runs a club. It worked beautifully until this fool wanted to get his ugly mug on TV every week. He's a joke.

.... Quite surprised nobody has mentioned John Cartwright ... I know he's tied up with the Titans for the time being but he is showing all the signs of a great coach in the making .. The Titans are a terrific team to watch and a nightmare for opposition sides because they play with such great structure and precision around the rucks .. they get so many bodies in motion / ask so many questions of an opposition defense when they have the ball and that is all due to the system Cartwright has drilled into that group over the past three years ...

I urge anyone to venture down the M1 and take in a Titans training session, then compare it to what they do at Red Hill ....

Oh, and the guy commands an enormous amount of respect from his playing group without even having to try to get it ...

BUT ... I concur with a few others here who think it's far too early to call for Henjak's head ... Origin has absolutely killed the Broncos this season .. The club was 8-3 and playing some good, spritely football ... Between the origin and flu distractions, I wonder how many training sessions the Broncos have had over the past 5 weeks with anything near a full complement ??

I know we whinge about it every year, but the setup just isn't fair on clubs like Brisbane and never will be until the powers that be put greed aside and structure a fair competition with stand-alone representative weekends ..

I think people might be underestimating the shock the Broncos have had in adjusting to life after Bennett. For all we know Henjak might be an excellent coach, but they players having trouble adjusting to his different style.

Yelling would be a big difference IMO. Particularly with the young players.

First of all.

I've got HUGE problems if WB coached NSW. (He won't)
Even bigger problems with GUS coaching QLD! (He won't)

But I have to admit, I've got no problems at all with Gus coaching the Broncs. It's professional footy, it's all good. I like Gus so its a bit biased. I don't agree with everything he says, far from it but he just knows his stuff. When it comes to tactics, he's gotta be one of the best. But who knows, it IS probably easier for him to see all this stuff from the commentary box RATHER than the coach's box. That is certain.
However, I don't think it would happen. He doesn't like the Broncs does he? He's got respect for them and so forth, but I don't think we would be up there high in his list of "preferred premiers". For what it's worth, I would love to see Gus coach Lockyer, for some reason I think we'd get to see a different style of play for Locky under Gus. Very different. Ah well.

Jeba said:
Ari Gold said:

Not to mention his continuous interference with the football team. When Wayne came to the club he, Porky, Barry etc agreed on one thing - Coach runs the team, Board runs a club. It worked beautifully until this fool wanted to get his ugly mug on TV every week. He's a joke.

I somewhat agree with this. But I don't think things â€worked beautifully“ at the Broncos that much, based on our performances (except '06) over the last 5 or so years - especially given our respective rosters.

For mine, the fact that Bennett left the club & so many good players left the club, and all are now largely very successful, says a lot.

Despite the loss of a lot of good players, I still feel our current roster is not that bad.

It just seems the players aren't playing to their abilities, nor is the team structured to play the game effectively. Our game plans seem boring and predictable, even THAT move when Hunt chimes in in their red zone despite its effectiveness.

Looking e.g. at Setu and Te'O, some of their performances this year have been pretty good, many awful. So they clearly have talent. Why aren't they consistently performing at their best? Even Locky can be patchy.

A lot of people have observed that Izzy isn't being used properly at the Broncs unlike the Maroons.

Seems to me the problem is the Club as much as an adjustment to a new coach who, IMO, first year or not, can't understand how to bring the best out of his players nor create a well oiled machine on the field.

It's almost as if playing for a very special club like the Broncos is no longer the honour it once was, and should be.

LOLZ! He'd fit right into the drinking culture at the Broncos.

Coxy said:
LOLZ! He'd fit right into the drinking culture at the Broncos.

Well if Matthew Johns became his assistant coach (someone mentioned Johns earlier in this thread), then we'd have the perfect coaching team to suit the broncos culture

Jeba said:
Ari Gold said:

+1 it irks me to see his smug face talking about where we're gonna use this player in the line up and that player.

Do any of the other ceo's get on the news talking the way he does? [icon_thumbs_do

I think Tunza would make an excellent coach. He knows his stuff. He would have to probably start in the QLD cup and then take over from Ivan next year. He is respected by the players and you could have Kevin Walters as his assisant.

Tunza = Complete Professionl. (Agency / Playing/ Coaching)

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie, what is this man crush that you have on TC??

this thread and subsequent posts are a gee up right? Lolz! Nearly got me bhq!

Active Now

• Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Fozz
  • Howie
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.