OFFICIAL Titans get their man with Fifita signing three-year deal

I don't remember to be honest but I vaguely remember it was in an article where he had rejected the Bulldogs' massive offer.
In that very same article it said that he stayed for significantly less than the bulldogs offer.

I 100% agree that Haas shouldn't be playing 80 minutes, but he's not overpaid. Others are overpaid, absolutely.

But if (and I stress if) someone getting $500k before they've achieved anything in the game other than a wooden spoon was to get upset about not being paid enough, they can **** right off to the Titans.
Before they achieved anything? Rookie of the year, almost won Dally M player of the year in his first season of not for a suspension at the start of the season. Origin player, Australian rep player.

Last edited:
Before they achieved anything? Rookie of the year, almost won Dally M player of the year in his first season of not for a suspension at the start of the season. Origin player, Australian rep player.
You've got me there, but he got that contract well before he did any of those things. And my point still stands. Half a million bucks for a fringe Australian player isn't crazy unders. And again, it was his first contract as an 18 year old. He'll be even more handsomely paid next time around.

You've got me there, but he got that contract well before he did any of those things. And my point still stands. Half a million bucks for a fringe Australian player isn't crazy unders. And again, it was his first contract as an 18 year old. He'll be even more handsomely paid next time around.
I agree with that. 500k for a prop should be considered pretty good coin. If he goes on to fulfil his potential he could be one of the very few forwards who deserve $1m a season.

Currently only Lolo comes to mind. Papali’s 800k seems fair. Sam Burgess previously (despite being a gronk). 700k for Fifita was probably a fair price for a kid worth taking a risk on. The titans almost doubling that is completely reckless and is bad for the entire comp. I’m not even salty they got him but the knock on effect of that reckless spending is detrimental.

I agree with that. 500k for a prop should be considered pretty good coin. If he goes on to fulfil his potential he could be one of the very few forwards who deserve $1m a season.

Currently only Lolo comes to mind. Papali’s 800k seems fair. Sam Burgess previously (despite being a gronk). 700k for Fifita was probably a fair price for a kid worth taking a risk on. The titans almost doubling that is completely reckless and is bad for the entire comp. I’m not even salty they got him but the knock on effect of that reckless spending is detrimental.

Except for the Titans, they still apparently have a million or so spare just in case a Smith becomes available.

I agree completely. Somewhere along the line $500k became shit money in some players' and fans' eyes, and it has wrecked a lot of teams - ours included.

I agree completely. Somewhere along the line $500k became shit money in some players' and fans' eyes, and it has wrecked a lot of teams - ours included.
But 500k isn't good.
Salary cap of 9.5m, divided by a top 30 is an average of 315k per player. Payne should be on double that average. Plodders like Joffa should never have exceeded that average. Mr Bog average himself, Macca, is supposedly on 600k.

Yeah he's signed a contract but good management would be upgrading him 100k per year every year he plays rep. Rewards good performance, builds good will, he's likely to stay beyond his current contract.

Paying good players good money is good management, it's only bad when shit players seem to be getting 500+.

Last edited:
But 500k isn't good.
Salary cap of 9.5m, divided by a top 30 is an average of 315k per player. Payne should be on double that average. Plodders like Joffa should never have exceeded that average. Mr Bog average himself, Macca, is supposedly on 600k.

Yeah he's signed a contract but good management would be upgrading him 100k per year every year he plays rep. Rewards good performance, builds good will, he's likely to stay beyond his current contract.

Paying good players good money is good management, it's only bad when shit players seem to be getting 500+.
If $315k is average, then $500k is by definition good money. Paying plodders $400k+ because we've normalised inflated contracts is exactly why the Broncos and many other teams can't compete with the Storm or Roosters. By the same token, good players don't need $900k to be well compensated.

I'll concede, I'd be happy enough to give Haas $600k today. He can earn more when he stops getting brushed off while defending his try line and learns to tackle with more force than a fluffy pillow. Hopefully reducing his minutes can help with that.

100k per year every year he plays rep. Rewards good performance, builds good will, he's likely to stay beyond his current contract.

I agree that performance and therefore rep selection is a great KPI and incentive, but with the current shit about incumbents, and its harder to get out then to get in, the bonus for good performance is either never earnt no matter how good the season has been, or a given since I got selected last year and have a easy $100K coming. The other question is what happens to our cap is 4 guys get selected for QLD, or 10? Sheading players would have to happen pretty damn quick.

I agree that performance and therefore rep selection is a great KPI and incentive, but with the current shit about incumbents, and its harder to get out then to get in, the bonus for good performance is either never earnt no matter how good the season has been, or a given since I got selected last year and have a easy $100K coming. The other question is what happens to our cap is 4 guys get selected for QLD, or 10? Sheading players would have to happen pretty damn quick.
The idea is to budget it in for the following year and you'd only give these style contracts to players who are underpaid, so they get a bonus, and have an incentive to keep playing well.

From our squad the only two I think deserve that bonus are Carrigan and Haas. They've already signed but given them performance bonuses would make them feel more appreciated and stick around long term.

So you'd have 200k potential variance in the salary cap, if they don't achieve that, give the bonus to the two best performers otherwise.

Gets complicated but we do have someone who has a full-time job to manage it

The idea is to budget it in for the following year and you'd only give these style contracts to players who are underpaid, so they get a bonus, and have an incentive to keep playing well.

From our squad the only two I think deserve that bonus are Carrigan and Haas. They've already signed but given them performance bonuses would make them feel more appreciated and stick around long term.

So you'd have 200k potential variance in the salary cap, if they don't achieve that, give the bonus to the two best performers otherwise.

That’s how competent clubs would do it.

I’m hoping that Donaghy will be as good as he seems and start implementing stuff like this. Given how butthurt the storm are about him going that’s a promising sign.

We also have a full time job assigned to media and website management and look how amateur hour that is.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • The True King
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • levikaden
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.