OFFICIAL Tom Dearden lost to Cowboys

ScreenScreenshot 2021 04 22 at 17 12 35 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

The Cowboys have offered Tommy Dearden a paltry three-year deal worth a mere $1 million sealed with a dubious promise to be mentored by some guy named Jonathon Thurston. According to Dobbo, that works out to be cool $1 million dollars a year, maybe more if you count it in potatoes, but you might want to double check his maths.

Thurston's single premiership pales beside Dearden's current brains trust of Langer & Walters who've each won more premierships than Dobbo can count.

Greedy Cowboys football-operations baron Michael Luck said:

“Now that we’ve got Chad, we haven’t ruled out Tom at all. We would still love to have him here and we believe they could work well together as a halves pairing. He is still coming through and learning the ropes and we think Tom can do a wonderful apprenticeship riding shotgun with Chad and then potentially take over from him and be a long-term playmaker at our club."

“It would be great news if Tom accepts our offer. Tom has shown some things we like, so we would love for him to be here. Tom grew up in Mackay, he was part of our junior academy five or six years ago and then he went to Palm Beach Currumbin (on the Gold Coast) to finish school."

Screen8981

Cowboys looking for a young playmaker

“He has done a great job coming through the ranks during a trying period for the Broncos as a club. I know it’s a big decision from Tom so we will give him time and space. We know he is a wonderfully loyal kid, he has come through the system at the Broncos and if he leaves it’s a big decision for him, so we’re not putting any deadlines on him.”

1500x500

Let's hear it for Townsville!

Meanwhile local legend Kevin Walters is having none of it:

“Tom is part of our system so at this stage we are not looking outside the circle. We don’t anticipate losing Tom. He has been a good player for us in our systems and he’s still learning the game but we see little bits of improvement in Tom each week and we expect that again tomorrow night from him… no problems there with Tommy."

"We have been through everything with Tommy, he has a nice clear picture in his head about his job in the side and we are confident he can do that job for us (on Friday night) and moving forward as well.”

“If you wear a seven jumper these days you are linked to the Broncos, so that part of it… we are a big club, we are a strong club. It’s great to know other players want to come and play at the Broncos, that’s what it is all about. For us, we have our structures around what we will be doing and won’t be going outside those structures.”

“Adam Reynolds is a good player and there is some interest in him, but we need to tie up Kotoni Staggs first and if and when we do that, we will look at our other scrumbase options."

Mitchell Moses, another rumoured player of interest said:

“I‘d love to stay at the Eels, that’s my main thing, I’ve made that clear to them but that’s up them now if they want to keep me or if my management will sort it all out. When a contract is ready to go my management will let me know.”

“The ultimate goal is to get a premiership. But everyone is different Everyone is in a different situation and different ages, all those types of things. The premiership pact gets tossed around every now and then but nothing in depth. The way footy is at the moment everyone looks after themselves and that‘s how it is.”

McHunt

A million a year on two unproven players is a fair chunk of change in the position we are in right now. I think if we had a better balanced squad we could do it, but right now we need players who are proven.

Are their many clubs that have thrown such big money, i'm talking in the $400k-500k area to secure promising younger players? I'm sure blokes like Luai and Burton from the Panthers (and many others there actually ) for example didnt get such big contracts at similar stages to Walsh and Dearden. Outside of Ponga i'm struggling to think of any, but there are probably clear examples i'm overlooking.

You're right, it IS too much money and it IS a risk... but there's no possible way that it isn't a risk worth taking.
A million a year on underperforming players is a handicap, but its not crippling. The upside is well worth the gamble.
At some point we're going to have to spend money on spine players either way. I'd rather we push our chips onto the table for bright young stars we have developed and know their game inside out and are already at Brisbane than overpaying for a Moses or SJ or some other half who could just as easily crash and burn as Dearden could have, because that's the alternative we're now looking at.
More stupid decisions by a stupid club.

So it boils down to Dearden walked because Broncos weren't willing to pay a pretty modest salary in order to secure a POTENTIALLY elite spine player.

Exact same situation as Walsh.

We've let a highly rated young 1 and 7 (of which there are very few in the whole competition) walk by suddenly being extremely tight with our re-signing money, having been far too liberal previously.

It's a noble stance but completely stupid implementation. Elite spine players are so rare, and these are pretty small contracts in the scheme of things which give you the opportunity to hold onto potential future superstars... If they didn't work out, then they were only small contracts anyway - no harm done. If these players go on to be superstars then these decisions will look utterly ridiculous. The risk - reward of failing to resign these 2 players is completely off and the club should be able to analyse that.

We gambled on $1m Milf contract and lost big, seems it's left us far too gun shy now. The prices these kids were asking may have been too much for their current experience and production level, yes, but in the big picture of running a team - taking a punt by giving future key playmakers $400-$500k per year is a low-risk, high-return play.

Maybe Walsh and Dearden will amount to nothing, and these decisions were the correct ones, but it won't change the fact that the risk-reward profile is completely wrong and their meagre salaries were well worth the gamble of keeping them on board.
Not if they want experience first , 3 years with an experienced 1 and 7 then possibly if they do amount to anything we can offer them a contract. Also we need to build our brand back up so it's a place that players are wanting to come to , we can't do that while we wait for these kids to come up to speed. Short term pain for long term gain

Walsh yes but Dearden no. In not one game this year has Dearden shown that he is anything but a possible NRL half-back. I can totally understand Kev not wanting to spend the money on him in hope that he will be the next Alf.
Walsh is a different story, he really looks to have all the skills to make it. I'm a bit worried about his size though.

You're right, it IS too much money and it IS a risk... but there's no possible way that it isn't a risk worth taking.
A million a year on underperforming players is a handicap, but its not crippling. The upside is well worth the gamble.
At some point we're going to have to spend money on spine players either way. I'd rather we push our chips onto the table for bright young stars we have developed and know their game inside out and are already at Brisbane than overpaying for a Moses or SJ or some other half who could just as easily crash and burn as Dearden could have, because that's the alternative we're now looking at.
More stupid decisions by a stupid club.

I think we have backed ourselves into a corner where we need a Reynolds for example to help us develop a promising half. I reckon if we go with promising kids we are back to square one. We just have to make sure we get the right player, not just any player. I really dont think we can take the risk at this moment in time until we rebalance the squad, and it will cost us players.

So it boils down to Dearden walked because Broncos weren't willing to pay a pretty modest salary in order to secure a POTENTIALLY elite spine player.

We've let a highly rated young 1 and 7 (of which there are very few in the whole competition) walk by suddenly being extremely tight with our re-signing money, having been far too liberal previously.

It's a noble stance but completely stupid implementation. Elite spine players are so rare, and these are pretty small contracts in the scheme of things which give you the opportunity to hold onto potential future superstars... If they didn't work out, then they were only small contracts anyway - no harm done. If these players go on to be superstars then these decisions will look utterly ridiculous. The risk - reward of failing to resign these 2 players is completely off and the club should be able to analyse that.

We gambled on $1m Milf contract and lost big, seems it's left us far too gun shy now. The prices these kids were asking may have been too much for their current experience and production level, yes, but in the big picture of running a team - taking a punt by giving future key playmakers $400-$500k per year is a low-risk, high-return play.

Maybe Walsh and Dearden will amount to nothing, and these decisions were the correct ones, but it won't change the fact that the risk-reward profile is completely wrong and their meagre salaries were well worth the gamble of keeping them on board.
He doesn't look like a potentially elite spine player though and we can't wait and hope. Giving Dearden 300-400k is 300-400k we can't put towards a proven elite spine player. Just because we have made stupid fucking decisions in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing that.

He doesn't look like a potentially elite spine player though and we can't wait and hope. Giving Dearden 300-400k is 300-400k we can't put towards a proven elite spine player. Just because we have made stupid fucking decisions in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing that.

I guess I just have a different read on it than you guys then.

We get out of this hole by spending money wisely... I don't feel like $1m spent across the 2 most important positions on the field in the modern game on 2 young rookies who have shown the potential to be future superstars is a bad investment... I think it's a very good one that has more upside for the club than splashing cash on a fancy half now who isn't a sure thing either.

...and yet that is exactly whats still happening...

Realistically, we need to take the entire front office and line them up against a brick wall and shot them...

And then Karl Morris can be burnt at the stake...

Morris has killed this club. Pushed Wayne out, caved in to public presure and hired a old boy (very reluctantly mind) in Walters.

Probably out of spite; ill show those old boys, ill hire Wlaters and then publically execute him...

Kevins been set up to fail; how can any coach do anything when each game week another player leaves you.

Either Walters is a fucking idiot or there is a disconnect between him and the front office.

How on earth can you come out with the verbal diaherrea that Deardens the future, he will stay we will buld around him etc...

How does the coach look now? Allowed to take all the heat by being the mouth piece instead of the club saying nothing at all until ink is on paper.

How much stock can you give to the coach saying "oh Staggs, yeh he is a week away from signing"......what utter shite....

Guess what happens next? This is what i mean by being set up to fail.

The front office needs to be burnt down and rebuilt; i no longer care who leaves now....cuse nothing will ever change until we stop being a badly run club making bad decisions.

And im sorry; NONE of the people we are linked to is coming here.........we just have to deal with that fact.

All players are potentially elite.

we’ve had a look at Tom and he’s very far from it. Have fun in Townsville ****

All players are potentially elite.

we’ve had a look at Tom and he’s very far from it. Have fun in Townsville ****
still believe he can become a NRL calibre half though.....apparently his manager has come out and stated that Brisbane never offered him a contract...

Again, what do you really believe here?

He had opportunity here, which is one reason a lot of young players move on. What Tom cant influence is the continued draining of player talent, the awful performance and attitude on the field etc.

But guess what; sign him to a 2-3 year deal, put him in the ISC where he should be to develop, and if he complains...tough...you're under contract. Show you deserve the jersey.

Instead, we seem to think they can go if they arent Allan Langer today.

still believe he can become a NRL calibre half though.....apparently his manager has come out and stated that Brisbane never offered him a contract...

He had opportunity here, which is one reason a lot of young players move on. What Tom cant influence is the continued draining of player talent, the awful performance and attitude on the field etc.

But guess what; sign him to a 2-3 year deal, put him in the ISC where he should be to develop, and if he complains...tough...you're under contract. Show you deserve the jersey.

Yes we didn't offer him a contract, no one is disputing that. From all reports we tried to develop him in ISC but the little punk didn't want a bar of it so started touring the Cowboys. I'm not sure what your issue is if I'm being honest.

He thinks he’s Allan langer today and the cowboys were telling him he is, which he isn’t.

I don’t know if Kevvie is being too honest and putting more value in the broncos jersey than what the players see these days. It seems he’s being upfront with plans on what he’s expecting and if it’s to hard the ***** just **** off elsewhere,

Badel has gone to town on us for losing Dearden ... talking about how Dearden "lost faith with out systems"

talking about how it al started no long after he re-signed. we got him because we brought his family in an explained how he was a 10 year Broncos and the future of this club etc...

couldn't read most of the article because i was on the verge of spewing with the BS Badel was going on with...

p.s.

you know how we can tell how far Dearden has fallen in the eyes of NRL scouts?

last time he was off contract he was chased by at least 10 clubs, and his management met with 6 of them (from Badel article) .... this time he was chased by one solitary club :rofl

Cowboys offered $370k to do a similar thing, is that good business when we need to get a top tier half for at least 700kish plus .
That's a hefty price for someone who needs time in cup just to come up to speed and possibly not even get there.

I like how this little punks manager has come out swinging at the Broncos, stating how fiercely loyal Dearden is and how he wanted to be a Bronco for life, all while he is courting offers from the Cowboys and touring their facilities while still contracted to us.

**** that punk, glad he is gone, hope he has a miserable career at the Cowboys.

It's also $300-$350k on top of Croft's $450k that could very well be spending all of next year in ISC

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  • simplythebest
  • john1420
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • mrslong
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.