Top 20 Roo's of last 3 decades - Dean Ritchie

Big Pete said:
[eusa_eh Ya think? Really?

Yep.

And I disagree with that statement. Unless Queensland play poorly, NSW can't hope to jar a win.

At the moment maybe, but that's because this is a phenomenally strong Queensland team. The reverse was true from 2003-2005. It goes in cycles, but even then the winning rate of the better team is no more than 66%.

Over the past 5 years it's been a bit more than just 66%.

Either way, I don't think tests are any less competitive than what they were in the 90's.

Dean already achieved the aim of his blog... to generate talk on forums like this and to get a few extra hits. The only way people read that trash is if they have something controversial ie Lockyer at 10.

Johns was rubbish for Australia, he would have played ~half his tests at hooker or off the bench.

Foordy said:
sometimes i wonder how he can be called an expert, he rates Lockyer at number 10 but Johns at number 2 :roll:

I wonder sometimes if these experts do these things on puropose cause they know it will generate a lot of debate. I mean it is a blog after all, if he put eveyone in a somewhat correct order, who'd bother replying? Create a bit of contraversy, and more people will talk about it. It's worked in this occasion, hasn't it?

Edit -damn, looks like m1c can type quicker than me lol

Well, we have nothing better to do in the off-season. I love bagging the idiots. It's a list Rothfields would be proud of.

I was actually surprised Kimmorley didn't make the top 20. At least we can rest assured if Rothfields did the list there would have been even worse inclusions. like Paul Gallen.

Big Pete said:
Over the past 5 years it's been a bit more than just 66%.

Either way, I don't think tests are any less competitive than what they were in the 90's.

Only because of this season! 2006-2009:
Hmmm, 2006: 2-1, 2007: 2-1, 2008: 2-1, 2009: 2-1

QLD won 8, NSW 4 = 66% win :P

[icon_lol1. nice Coxy.

But we all know those wins were against poor Queensland outfits. [icon_razz1

Big Pete said:
[icon_lol1. nice Coxy.

But we all know those wins were against poor Queensland outfits. [icon_razz1

[icon_lol1. Agree on a couple (notably 2007 and 2009) but disagree on others. Just outplayed in '06 and '08.

And 2010 shouldn't really count because it was the worst selected, worst coached and worst performed Origin team since Queensland in 2000.

We were TERRIBLE in Game 1 2006. The first half was easily one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Queensland side.

Ditto Game 1 2008, who thought playing Hunt at 6 was such a good idea?

And 2010 shouldn't really count because it was the worst selected, worst coached and worst performed Origin team since Queensland in 2000.

[icon_lol1. Yeah let's just strike off half the Tests matches too on account of this. :P

Big Pete said:
AP - Tests are much more competitive than Origin these days. Don't let the mish mash mid-year Test fool you, when it comes down to a series the other teams (especially NZ) lift big time.
late contender for 'post of the year'? [icon_lol1.

seriously, thats absolute BS. like coxy said, for australia to lose they basically have to play their worst and the opposition has to play their best.

if you REALLY think that Test matches are more competitive than State of Origin, you must not have watched a test match or state of origin in the last 10 years. or ever to be honest.

[icon_confu it's hardly that outlandish a statement.

I reckon New Zealand could take New South Wales on easy.

My other point still stands though AP.

Big Pete said:
[icon_confu it's hardly that outlandish a statement.
yes, it is [icon_lol1.

every test match basically everyone just goes 'i hope this isnt 50-0, for the good of the game'. noones ever thought like that about origin, because apart from once its never even gone close to that. how many times have the aussies racked up 40+ points in a game in the last 10-15 years? you couldnt count it on 2 hands. probably couldnt even count it on your 2 hands and your 2 feet.

Yes in the mid-year Test.

How about in a Test series though? Aus vs. NZ are generally just as competitive if not more than the Origin games since 2006.

Point still stands though, you could hardly say tests were more competitive in the 90's than they are these days.

Big Pete said:
Yes in the mid-year Test.

How about in a Test series though? Aus vs. NZ are generally just as competitive if not more than the Origin games since 2006.

Point still stands though, you could hardly say tests were more competitive in the 90's than they are these days.
The World cup win, although deserved, was a fluke for NZ because Australia's defence was weak and Slater had a couple of brain farts. Otherwise, International footy has basically always the same outcome: Australia wins!

I must say this year's NZ team is as close to a genuine threat as I've ever seen, but the rest of the world is just sh!t.
You could try to compare the tests against NZ to Origin and a RL Bledisloe could eventually rival Origin, but it's not at the same level yet IMO.

Definitely not at the same level interest wise but I think it rivals Origin competitively.

But yeah, admittedly saying it's 'much more competitive than Origin' was out of line, but it certainly rivals it and I wouldn't say the International game was more competitive in the 90's than it is now...which is what AP was saying and hasn't commented on since.

Big Pete said:
yes you could, and youd be right.

The international game was BETTER pre-Super League. There's not even a question of that. The Kangaroo Tours of 1990 and 1994 were absolutely sensational, and beyond the Tests too. The games against club sides were great watching by the "Emus" (non-Test players in the squad).

The fact Australia is so dominant in the international game is evidenced by the fact the last 2 coaches to lose finals of major tournaments for Australia were sacked on the spot. Bennett (05) and Stuart (08). If there was no expectation that Australia would win, why such a big deal?

If QLD lose a series, do you think Meninga will be sacked? No.

I LOVE the international game now, but think it could be so much better if tournaments like the Four Nations were held after a shorter season. By now injuries decimate the star players.

Would rather see a short club comp from March-July, Origin in August, Internationals in September/October. Gives the injured players a full offseason for recovery from surgery etc.

Never happen though. Club season pays the bills.

yes you could, and youd be right.

[icon_confu How? Because AP said so?

2003 Ashes, 2005 Tri Nations and 2006 Tri Nations were all great contests too Coxy. Also Game 1 of the 2009 Four Nations was better than anything produced in the Origin series in 09.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Midean
  • Manifesto
  • LittleDavey
  • Mister Wright
  • Waynesaurus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • FACTHUNT
  • jd87
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.