TPJ....Grub, or not?

Bottom line is what TPJ did is unnecessary. I think it was clear contact with the head. The guy has to be a lot smarter but seems incapable of restraint. It's a coward shot IMHO and he is becoming a liability .

giphy.gif

From the reverse angle it looked bad, but the side on shows Pangai makes contact with O'Neil's arms which are closer to his chest.

I don't think he hit O'Neil high or late as the commentators tried to spin it.

However, it was excessive and it ultimately put O'Neil in danger. I thought there could be a difference in the grading between a regular dangerous contact and a high contact, but they're the same.

This was far worse than what he got pinged with on Maloney. I'm still in shock over that charge.

I think if he didn't contact the head and it's as clear as claimed we would have contested the charge.

I think if he didn't contact the head and it's as clear as claimed we would have contested the charge.
I agree it was unnecessary but to say that he made contact with the head is not true , you either need glasses or have an issue with the guy.

Why did he plead guilty then if it's so obvious.

Vunivalu gets a fine for intentionally jumping into the tacklers chest with his knees (not the first time he’s done it either).

It reminded me of McDougall on O’Neill in SOO, but it doesn’t even warrant a suspension.

Seriously, the judiciary is becoming more and more of a joke, which you would think is impossible, but somehow they manage...

I made a couple of similar comments in defense of TPJ in the reddit thread. Most had similar black and white responses: "just needed to put a hand on him" or "contact with the head". I'm glad to see I wasn't alone in thinking it was over hyped. Fact is, TPJ was already committed to a tackle, went in low and O'Neill was turning, untackled. If he had pulled out, there was the possibility for the cows to run loose. To me TPJ was playing Rugby League and that shot is par for the course. The sad thing is that the review committee is rarely consistent and is far from objective.

I love how its perfectly natural for the likes of A Fifita, Napa and Klemmer to be aggressive, intimidating players but when one of ours does it, it's the talk of the town.
Previous outcomes you take 4 or 6 , like last time he would've ended up with 6 .
Rubbish. If he didn't make contact and its provable then you contest it every time.
Front on vision is clear IMO . His shoulder makes contact.
I don't think the contact has much force but it's there.
The guys a dick who needs to put his team first.

4 weeks is good. Even if it is clear, the judiciary has form in stupidity and he would have got more weeks.

this way, he misses this week and the trials before next season and therefore free to play round 1 once this season inevitably gets canned.

giphy.gif

From the reverse angle it looked bad, but the side on shows Pangai makes contact with O'Neil's arms which are closer to his chest.

I don't think he hit O'Neil high or late as the commentators tried to spin it.

However, it was excessive and it ultimately put O'Neil in danger. I thought there could be a difference in the grading between a regular dangerous contact and a high contact, but they're the same.

This was far worse than what he got pinged with on Maloney. I'm still in shock over that charge.

That swinging arm doesn't help him

Rubbish. If he didn't make contact and its provable then you contest it every time.
It's a contact sport
[automerge]1584402092[/automerge]
That swinging arm doesn't help him
The swimming arm is actually what makes it a tackle, and saves it from being a shoulder charge... then it slides up.

Last edited:
It's a contact sport
[automerge]1584402092[/automerge]

The swimming arm is actually what makes it a tackle, and saves it from being a shoulder charge... then it slides up.

I don't think he was swimming

He should've challenged the grading. I'm pretty sure even if you're unsuccessful at getting it downgraded to a Grade 1, it doesn't change anything. Still would've been 4 weeks.

(Could be completely wrong)

Obviously calling the guy a dick makes me think that you have an issue with him.
It's plain as day hits his chest, but hey don't let the facts stop you hatin.

Obviously calling the guy a dick makes me think that you have an issue with him.
It's plain as day hits his chest, but hey don't let the facts stop you hatin.
Mate the angle from front on clearly shows some contact with his shoulder to the head.
The only place that doesn't think that is here and I'm the bias one.
You see what you want to see.
I don't think it was that bad and certainly not worth 4 weeks.
I think it shows what a bad system the loading system is.
It also shows how careless TPJ is knowing all that and risking a suspension for zero advantage.
He has form for this type of tackle he knows the outcome so yes he was a dick for taking that risk.
No hate, just calling how I see it That's allowed right?

Mate the angle from front on clearly shows some contact with his shoulder to the head.
The only place that doesn't think that is here and I'm the bias one.
You see what you want to see.
I don't think it was that bad and certainly not worth 4 weeks.
I think it shows what a bad system the loading system is.
It also shows how careless TPJ is knowing all that and risking a suspension for zero advantage.
He has form for this type of tackle he knows the outcome so yes he was a dick for taking that risk.
No hate, just calling how I see it That's allowed right?
Most certainly, and I completely agree that TPJ was stupid for even thinking he needed to do it. Fittler made a comment the other night saying he needs to put his aggression into his running game, which is so true.
He plays aggressive and at speed but it's not well directed atm
Sorry but I can't see any contact with the head though.

I don't think he's a grub, but I think he's reckless and chooses his times poorly...

Be aggressive when it counts - when it benefits the team and when it lifts the boys around you and can lead to a result... smash people coming off their own line so they are pinned deep in their own half, run hard and hit holes, enforce your dominance in the middle of the field. If you are doing that and the odd mistake happens and you cop a suspension then fair enough - you take the good with the bad.

Coming in to lay a lick on a centre who is already well held and on the ground wont result in anything positive for our team... just opens you up to suspension and punishment... aggression in the NRL these days is always a gamble and in this instance it was all downside and no upside. ESPECIALLY when the team is already so short on forwards.

How useful it would be to have an old hard-headed old school enforcer to take TPJ under his wing and teach him when and how to use his aggression. At the moment he is just running around like a headless chook just trying to be aggressive for the sake of it - not trying to use that dominance to benefit the team.

Really hope he learns.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • achievedrap
  • winslow_wong
  • Thelmus
  • Locky field goal
  • Griffo
  • Sproj
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Manofoneway
  • Tmac
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • IceWorks
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • heartly87
  • Nerd
  • Ejbroncos
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.