Travis Waddell signs with the Broncos for 2015

Hunt as the backup hooker was a very good move imo, and a lot of RL gurus think the same. It toughened him up and got his defense up to scratch, while allowing him to experience FG.

The length of time he spent there is an entirely different thing though... I agree he should have played a lot more Qcup to hone his skills as a half. I personally believe he will eventually be our 5/8 of the future with Taylor at halfback...

Just out of curiously why do you think Taylor is a better halfback? Not doubting him but why move hunt when Taylor could be five-eighth himself?

lets not forget waddell probably wasnt going anywhere else, and bennett just realises he could be useful if needed. doesnt necessarily mean he'd be the automatic choice to come into FG if macca took an injury half way through next year.

imo you want three capable hookers on a squad. look at what happened to manly, ballin gone, backup in buhrer also gone... they dont really have a backup now at the most crucial time of year and someone like horo is going to play alot of time there..

I agree, another example is when macca was out we had Granville starting and stagg coming of the bench compared to Souths who had korisau and mcinnes when they lost Luke and that really worked for them

Just out of curiously why do you think Taylor is a better halfback? Not doubting him but why move hunt when Taylor could be five-eighth himself?

I don't know about @Porthoz , but IMO, Hunt's greatest asset ATM is his running game and taking the line on, so he seems like a more natural 5/8 at this level to me, but he is still a gun player that we must retain at all costs.

and from what little i have seen of Taylor, he seems more like an organiser than Hunt. I think they could form a deadly combination very shortly. but we have to develop Taylor right and not delay it like we did with Hunt.

My ideal lineup in the future would be (probably from 2016 on)

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
14. Barba (as our super sub, but not, i repeat NOT a back up hooker)

Last edited:
I agree, another example is when macca was out we had Granville starting and stagg coming of the bench compared to Souths who had korisau and mcinnes when they lost Luke and that really worked for them

unfortunately as South are finding out (since Korisau has signed elsewhere, i believe). quality hookers don't stick around too long unless they are first choice.

I don't know about @Porthoz, but IMO, Hunt's greatest asset ATM is his running game and taking the line on. and from what little i have seen of Taylor, he seems more like an organiser than Hunt. I think they could form a deadly combination very shortly. but we have to develop Taylor right and not delay it like we did with Hunt.

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Taylor

I agree ofcourse that hunts's strength is his running game and five-eighth would suit his short side raids but being at halfback he gets to take on the forwards more which he's really good at and physically more up to

good line up though, If Boyd comes or Barba's form goes thought the roof next year is the only I think that won't happen

unfortunately as South are finding out (since Korisau has signed elsewhere, i believe). quality hookers don't stick around too long unless they are first choice.

True it's hard to keep three hookers around but for this year it worked for them, and Korisau joining the panthers gives them three great hookers when he combines with Segeyaro and Moseley

True it's hard to keep three hookers around but for this year it worked for them, and Korisau joining the panthers gives them three great hookers when he combines with Segeyaro and Moseley

I haven't seen much of the Panthers this year, but if those 3 hookers are any good, they won't be able to keep them all once they are off contract.

and if they are quality, maybe we should try and sign one of them, to give Macca some actually competition for his spot ... because next year, he will be able to stink it up all year and still be 1000 times better than Waddell

I haven't seen much of the Panthers this year, but if those 3 hookers are any good, they won't be able to keep them all once they are off contract.

and if they are quality, maybe we should try and sign one of them, to give Macca some actually competition for his spot ... because next year, he will be able to stink it up all year and still be 1000 times better than Waddell

Haha true it's hardly competition.

Sure are one will have to go but they'll have that option for next two years which will be great for them. I've watched the Panthers a bit this year curious of how Gus' five year plan is working for him but yeah Segeyaro is one of the best attacking hookers in the comp, Korisau is already an international and Moseley was Queensland's u20 hooker made his debut last week and was very promising, he would be a good buy

Well, [MENTION=1769]Foordy[/MENTION] pretty much nailed it...

I would just add Taylor's kicking as one of his best features as well. He just seems to be a pure-bred halfback, while Hunt's game is a bit more tailored (pun intended) for the 5/8 spot (which nowadays is almost the same anyway).

Taylor seems a more natural organizer IMO. Also, I honestly think 6 is hunts natural position.

I don't know about @Porthoz , but IMO, Hunt's greatest asset ATM is his running game and taking the line on, so he seems like a more natural 5/8 at this level to me, but he is still a gun player that we must retain at all costs.

and from what little i have seen of Taylor, he seems more like an organiser than Hunt. I think they could form a deadly combination very shortly. but we have to develop Taylor right and not delay it like we did with Hunt.

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Taylor

agree with foordy. That's the side I would go with too

Don't see any value at all in Barba as a "super sub" ....at least not going by his 2014 form.

We should be thinking about cutting him loose if Taylor is to be brought through.

Yep, we should definitely ditch the 25 y/o 2012 Dally M, because he had an average season under Griffin ball.
Makes sense... about as much sense as it would've made to ditch Locky after 2005.

Oh wait...

Yep, we should definitely ditch the 25 y/o 2012 Dally M, because he had an average season under Griffin ball.
Makes sense... about as much sense as it would've made to ditch Locky after 2005.

Oh wait...

So you're comparing Barba to Lockyer....?

pffft....LOL.

Taylor could still fail, Barba makes for a great insurance policy at both 1 and 6 and would offer a lot of impact off the bench.

What is he going to offer off the bench?

What impact?

Yeah.. I'm not sure I agree with this whole Barba off the bench thing, I think he'll just get in the way, if for some reason Bennett comes here and has no intention to start Barba, then Barba will be playing Qcup or for some other NRL team.

1. Anthony Milford
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
9. Andrew McCullough

(or)

1. Darius Boyd
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
9. Andrew McCullough

Yeah.. I'm not sure I agree with this whole Barba off the bench thing, I think he'll just get in the way, if for some reason Bennett comes here and has no intention to start Barba, then Barba will be playing Qcup or for some other NRL team.

1. Anthony Milford
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
9. Andrew McCullough

(or)

1. Darius Boyd
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
9. Andrew McCullough

That is definitely the best spine.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Skyblues87
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Browny
  • Gaz
  • blacknwhite
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Big Del
  • RolledOates
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.