Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

All in all, some impressive flashes but with a lot of these second string players, there's going to be an adjustment period and we may not see a couple of these players for a year or two, if ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree BP -
tesi is a million miles away, I have never had much of a wrap on him but pisitionally he has a lot to learn and he doesnt talk.
B
I still think bird is a dead man walking so see how that unfolds during the year.
Farnworth and kennar wont play grade, staggs has the speed and footwork required and I think he may end up pushing bird back to sydney sooner rather than later.
SOS is purely a back up emergency option. Kicks a long ball but that's about it.
My man dearden who I rate incredibly high is at least 1 to 2 years away mentally after seeing him last night. He didn't talk at all and defensively he is still learning. Shape and size are there just needs time for the nrl grind. I also don't like the fact Seinfeld has dumped him right edge in a corridor. Deardon is better when he moves around and reads the play.

Shibasaki hasn't come on since his early 20's he has disappointed me,
Sua was only first game back from the injury so he will need another month to settle but will be fine.
Fifita was good in patches however if Gillett plays right edge and fifita has to go left lets see how he handles that. He has always been right edge.
Flegler is origin material, carrigan was ok however I just don't see him playing much or at all this year.
The turpinator surprised me and played well.
Fenson did the clean up work which has me thinking he may get the nod. Not only because of his clean up stuff but also because the forwards are so young and inexperienced that seibold may go with an old bull on the bench.

Boys, paix and the rest will spend the year in cup unless disaster strikes. I have always been a huge paix fan however playing him at 9 is a mistake.. Taga looked like death on legs, you can put the fork in him.

Final thought - I am concerned about our middle depth and experience. Lodge, offa and pangai and has even more so are still young when it comes to nrl game time so if we lost one or 2 of them our back up depth will be tested severely and you can't rely on kids to front up each week in nrl.

Staggs looked better too me. I only watched half of the game though.

I thought Birdy showed some really good signs. Didn't give up the chase when one of the Wynnum speedsters made a break and chased him down just before the line. Also looked to get involved where he could. As long as he stays injury free, I'm sure Jack is going to really show his value to us this season. As for Kotoni, he looks dangerous pretty much every time he has the ball in hand. I think he just tries a little too hard at times when trying to push a pass or set up a difficult play. Regardless, you can most certainly lock him in for the number 14 spot without any shadow of doubt.

Both Carrigan and Flegler look like real goers and will likely form the backbone of our forward pack for the next 10 years. Alex Glenn, as always, Mr Consistent and has to be on the bench at the very least for the season opener. Fafita, well what more can be said about this bloke. He's strong, quick and will be monstering opponents for years to come. He is unlike anything I have ever seen, a freak. Turpin also impressed from dummy half. So much slicker than Macca and will provide great back-up if needed.

As for the halves, solid showing from SOS and for me, Tanah Boyd has future superstar written all over him. Also has a deadly combo with Fafita. Will be the number one half in the game in the years ahead, maybe sooner rather than later.

Can't wait for the next trial to see more of our first graders out on the field to get a better gauge of where we are at.

As a side note, was a joy to watch a fantastic problem-free live stream from the Wynnum club. Apart from stopping momentarily in the final few minutes, the broadcast worked flawlessly for me the entire game. Very professionally done.

Last edited:
I thought Birdy showed some really good signs. Didn't give up the chase when one of the Wynnum speedsters made a break and chased him down just before the line. Also looked to get involved where he could. As long as he stays injury free, I'm sure Jack is going to really show his value to us this season. As for Kotoni, he looks dangerous pretty much every time he has the ball in hand. I think he just tries a little too hard at times when trying to push a pass or set up a difficult play. Regardless, you can most certainly lock him in for the number 14 spot without any shadow of doubt.

Bird played fine I just thought staggs looked better. We’re going to struggle to hold on to him if he’s just a bench utility for us.

...... I also don't like the fact Seinfeld has dumped him right edge in a corridor. Deardon is better when he moves around and reads the play............Flegler is origin material, carrigan was ok however I just don't see him playing much or at all this year.

Seinfeld as our coach, that cracked me up. Brought up memories of when George worked for the Yankees - I can see him changing the players uniforms, talking to smack to Paul White LOL

As for Flegler and Carrigan, I rate them both but have Patty a step ahead of the Fleg, not behind him

On that performance, gonna be real hard to leave Staggs out of the 17

Do we think he has almost got the 14 locked down?

Whaaat
D was great
Penalties were bad, too many
But otherwise Strong D
Giving away penalties is part of bad D, in my opinion. A well disciplined, great defensive team doesn't give away so many penalties like we did last night.

As for Kotoni, he looks dangerous pretty much every time he has the ball in hand. I think he just tries a little too hard at times when trying to push a pass or set up a difficult play. Regardless, you can most certainly lock him in for the number 14 spot without any shadow of doubt.

Turpin also impressed from dummy half. So much slicker than Macca and will provide great back-up if needed.

As for the halves, solid showing from SOS and for me, Tanah Boyd has future superstar written all over him. Also has a deadly combo with Fafita. Will be the number one half in the game in the years ahead, maybe sooner rather than later.

As a side note, was a joy to watch a fantastic problem-free live stream from the Wynnum club. Apart from stopping momentarily in the final few minutes, the broadcast worked flawlessly for me the entire game. Very professionally done.

Game was sloppy as ****. Bronco's discipline was woeful. To be honest, I couldn't take much away from it. We weren't watching a team: just a bunch of second and third string hopefuls playing as individuals.

But still enjoyed having the Broncos back on TV.

Staggs showed flashes but given the opposition I was a bit disappointed he couldn't go on with it. Be interesting to see if we can retain all these promising halves. Tanah Boyd, Dearden, Paix and SOS: we can't keep them all. And they're not even the incumbents.

Turpin already looks leagues beyond Macca. At dummy half, anyway. And given we did better without Macca last year, maybe his defence isn't that essential either.

Can't agree on the feed: resolution was woeful, and kept dropping out. But, still a commendable effort putting it up at all, and the commentary duo did a damn good job for part timers. I hope they get more work.

Thanks, Wynnum!

Last edited:
If it comes down to it, we should really fight to retain SOS and Dearden of that stock. They were easily the standouts last night.

If it comes down to it, we should really fight to retain SOS and Dearden of that stock. They were easily the standouts last night.

Be surprised if Nikorima stays at half for much longer. I think he's now in competition with Staggs for a bench utility.

On that performance, gonna be real hard to leave Staggs out of the 17

Do we think he has almost got the 14 locked down?

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...al-win-over-wynnum-manly-20190223-p50zuj.html
Staggs outshines Bird in Broncos' trial win over Wynnum Manly
By Damien Stannard
February 23, 2019 — 9.39pm
Brisbane's search for a centre has taken a twist with Kotoni Staggs outshining returning big gun Jack Bird in the Broncos' NRL pre-season match against Wynnum Manly.
The Broncos took their time on Saturday night to subdue the Queensland Cup outfit in a 26-12 win at Kougari Oval on Brisbane's bayside.
Outstanding: Kotoni Staggs was the Broncos' most dangerous player.
There were mixed performances from a number of young Broncos aiming for a place in Brisbane's 17 for their March 14 season opener against Melbourne.
But there was no doubt over the quality of Staggs, who scored a try and was the Broncos' most-dangerous player at right centre.
The 20-year-old's goal-kicking might also tempt coach Anthony Seibold to find room for him in the team to face the Storm.
Many questions remain unanswered over Brisbane's best line-up after two trials.
Forwards David Fifita and Thomas Flegler posed the strongest arguments from a bunch of big men fighting for a spot in the Broncos' pack.
Another youngster, teenager Tom Dearden, looked comfortable as he took charge at halfback against the Seagulls.
Seibold should be satisfied with Bird's first outing in his comeback from a long-term sternum injury.
He unleashed a powerful fend in the build-up to a long-range try for Richie Kennar but had his defensive readiness tested by the Seagulls' right edge who fancied themselves against the returning utility.
Bird was exposed on one occasion when the former NSW State of Origin back rushed out of the line and was beaten by impressive Seagulls and ex-Wests Tigers centre Delouise Hoeter.
The home side's part-timers held their own against the Broncos in the first half, restricting them to just one try for much of that period and had one of their own disallowed when five-eighth Jayden Berrell was called back for an obstruction.

Could be right.

Last edited:
Giving away penalties is part of bad D, in my opinion. A well disciplined, great defensive team doesn't give away so many penalties like we did last night.

They are seperate things. Great defensive teams can give away lots of penalties as part of their defensive strategy as long as they defend them. Some of the best defensive teams in recent times like the Roosters as an example have been the leaders in penalties given.

If you give penalties away, it doesn't actually matter if you continue to propell the opposition each time they camp you on your line.

That's how the roosters won their premiership, how we player in 15, solid goal line D

If you make the errors or give away the penalty, back it up. And last night they really did - even as a second string side. Imagine how good the top tier players will do it

Could be right.

That report losses a lot of credibility at “Staggs goal kicking may tempt Seibold further”. I’m sorry but did we lose Isaako?

If you give penalties away, it doesn't actually matter if you continue to propell the opposition each time they camp you on your line.

That's how the roosters won their premiership, how we player in 15, solid goal line D

If you make the errors or give away the penalty, back it up. And last night they really did - even as a second string side. Imagine how good the top tier players will do it
The Roosters give away penalties on their goal line because it's probably easier to defend there rather than at the other end of the field etc. I'm not talking about those penalties. I'm talking about penalties when we have the opposition trapped in their 10 metre line and we give away a penalty which let's them off the hook, those kinds of penalties we were giving last night and in 2018 and they must be fixed.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Old Mate
  • rj9
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.