16. Brett Greinke
17. Ajuma Adams
18. Lachlan Barr
19. Paul Byrnes
20. Matt Parcell
21. Joe Boyce

Coach: Kurt Richards

Big Names Return For Broncos - Broncos

The return of Oates, Reed, Copley, Wallace, Gillett from injury, interesting to note that Reed is named at left Centre, Copley at right Centre. That may indicate the pecking order, Copley looks like being on the wing come round 1.

I find it a bit strange that Oates is playing on the wing? What does everyone make of that?

I find it a bit strange that Oates is playing on the wing? What does everyone make of that?

i cant remember whether it was here on fb but someone said a few weeks ago that rnd 1 would be copley centre and oates wing. being that he's named on teh wing i guess it is a high possibility.

@Unbreakable - the article in CM said reed and copley would share mins at left centre in the trial

Last edited:
Love Oates on the wing... with Copley or even Reed next to him!

Oates should be on the wing full time this year. Has size, can finish a try and IIRC has safe hands. And better to have him for 80 minutes on the wing than short stints in the middle. More Oates is more good.

Looks like Waddell has found himself ahead of Parcell. Bennett strikes again.

I tend to agree Oates on the wing is interesting and exciting. Please Copley be left centre rd 1, I kinda hope reed fumbles this game badly. I know I shouldn't say that :(

I wouldn't mind Oates on the wing, especially to start the season. That way it could provide room for someone like Dodds to come of the bench.

The team below looks pretty mouth watering.

1. Kahu
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Dodds

Chris Garry @chrisgarry1 · 6m6 minutes ago Corey Oates named on Brisbane's wing for trial against Redcliffe. That is the position Wayne Bennett see him in this season. Chris Garry @chrisgarry1 · 3m3 minutes ago @ncrook93 Broncos want him playing 80 mins this year before transitioning. Still only 20 yo

Interesting line-up.

I'm not going to read into those numbers on Reed or Copley's back, I think it will come down to who puts in the best performance on the night. With that said, 3 typically denotes right centre, 4 typically denotes left - it's only at the Broncos where Hodges owns the 4 where things tend to get confusing.

Most interesting piece of news is Oates' selection on the wing. According to Chris Garry, that's where he'll play through out 2015 instead of the backrow as many predicted. I don't think it's the best move for Oates' development but can see the positives to come out of it. Truthfully, the Broncos don't have the best depth out-wide and need as much help as they can get. Oates is a class player and it will give him more time in first grade, rubbing shoulders with the big boys instead of slumming it on the bench and only getting 20 minutes game-time or playing for the Capras.

I wouldn't mind Oates on the wing, especially to start the season. That way it could provide room for someone like Dodds to come of the bench.

The team below looks pretty mouth watering.

1. Kahu
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Dodds

Looks a lot better than than 2. Maranta

Oates should be on the wing full time this year. Has size, can finish a try and IIRC has safe hands. And better to have him for 80 minutes on the wing than short stints in the middle. More Oates is more good.

Agreed, I said this earlier and it was largely dismissed because his a backrower and it would hinder his development, but I don't really see that as the case as it doesn't really change the way he plays the game, his big, strong and given his size got a bit of speed and plenty of eventual backrowers have earned their trade through the backline early on. It's pretty clear the view Maranta just can't cut it at the NRL level and at present our options for suitable wingers isn't crash hot and when you add the fact that Copley plays his best football in the centres and Reed hasn't been in top form for a while, I think it's an option you really have to explore. Oates could fill the role while the club looks for the answer during the season, then when Boyd returns we can examine the situation again.

I'd love to see Oates on the wing but that leaves us in a spot where either Reed, Copley, or Vidot misses out. I can't imagine Reed being dropped though I think that's the best scenario.

Maybe a transition to the forwards is on the cards for Vidot or Reed?

What if Kahu kills it while Boyd's out? Does he go down a grade or does he replace the winners out of Oates/Copley/Reed/Vidot?

Last edited:
Big Pete said:
I don't think it's the best move for Oates' development

I'll expand on this because I don't think it's immediately apparent.

If Bennett was planning on moving Oates to centre, that would be one thing but the wing is a vastly different position that requires a lot of knowledge that's unique to that position. It's why a lot of centres or fullbacks tend to struggle when they play wing despite having a lot of skills that are complimentary to the position.

Oates can play football but based on what I've seen of him in general and in that position, he's not a natural by any means. Having to learn things such as positioning, accepting the high ball, supporting his fullback, dummy-half running etc. is going to be tough and I just hope it doesn't dent his confidence.

Not that I'm actively campaigning against it. If anything that's why I wanted to expand on that point, because on the surface there doesn't appear to be any negatives where as I think there's a few.

Will say that I'm glad Wayne got in early.

I like the idea of Oates on the wing as well, purely because he'll get 80 minutes a game, instead of junk minutes off the bench (Mind you I can't even find a spot for him on the bench when we're fully healthy, so this is probably the only way he was playing First Grade this season)

1. Kahu
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt / Dodds / Wallace / Lowrie / Reed / Waddell / K.Nikorima
17. Dodds / Garbutt / Wallace / Lowrie / Reed / Waddell / K.Nikorima

I'll expand on this because I don't think it's immediately apparent.

If Bennett was planning on moving Oates to centre, that would be one thing but the wing is a vastly different position that requires a lot of knowledge that's unique to that position. It's why a lot of centres or fullbacks tend to struggle when they play wing despite having a lot of skills that are complimentary to the position.

Oates can play football but based on what I've seen of him in general and in that position, he's not a natural by any means. Having to learn things such as positioning, accepting the high ball, supporting his fullback, dummy-half running etc. is going to be tough and I just hope it doesn't dent his confidence.

Not that I'm actively campaigning against it. If anything that's why I wanted to expand on that point, because on the surface there doesn't appear to be any negatives where as I think there's a few.

Will say that I'm glad Wayne got in early.

Perhaps it's just my poor memory but as I recall Oates gunned it when he played several games on the wing in 2013. Honestly can't remember how he went under the bombs but surely he wasn't worse than Copley or Vidot.

His stint was one of the highlights in a mediocre year.

But there were a lot of technical issues and I don't think they were ever going away.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • mystico
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.