Trial #3 vs. Warriors Pre-Match Discussion

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
i honestly dont care about maranta selection. wondering why vidot isnt getting a run in either game though so im assuming injury. theres not really anyone else that should of been picked other than maybe jordan drew

Yow Yeh is also on the bench, besides with the rotation all the outside backs will see gametime in the trial anyway, its a shame Vidot isn't there but until we know why we shouldn't jump the gun, he could have a slight injury concern they don't want to risk him on.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Given there is so many spots still up for grabs, I HOPE some of these positional decisions are "everyone gets a run" decisions.

Hoffman at 1.

Gives fuel to the argument the delay in naming the squad was focused around that whole shit fight going on.

On that note, if we release Hoffman, and Barba gets injured (which he is so prone to do) geez we are short in that position...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I like the team. McG is CP13 v2.0 so he gets to watch exactly with Parker does. Parker was playing prop for rep teams last year and doing it brilliantly. Let's us sort out who are our best backrow options if Parker does go back to the second row. Using Parker at prop and Thaiday on the right with Gillett on the left (who has a good connection with Hunt) looks very promising. Our forward pack looks strong and creative something we haven't had for a long time. Having Barba and Nikorima sniffing around these guys will make us unpredictable and hard to stop. The Maranta selection is fine if. Vidot is injured and Hoffman will be there round 1 anyway. Also like Strasser on he bench, this will be a shoot out between him and Niko. There is a lot to like about this trial team if some of you take off your anti-Hook glasses.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Starting Parker at prop is the same think the Sharks, Blues and Kangaroos have been doing with Paul Gallen for several years.

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
Good looking side. Brave and exciting playing Nikorima. Look forward to seeing how that goes.

No Barba is a shame. Sam Tomkins V Barbar was one of the 1:1 clashes I was counting on as Tomkins looks to place himself in the ranks of the top NRL Fullbacks.

Will just have to wait for the next time we meet.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Starting Parker at prop is the same think the Sharks, Blues and Kangaroos have been doing with Paul Gallen for several years.

Yeah, but just because Gallen did it, doesn't mean Parker can. I believe there is a reason why Bennett barely used him at prop and that's because he does not belong there at all.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Lock pretty much is a prop, only distinction is that some tend to take a hit up later in the set, (which I think suits Parker more, plus offloading later on is better than offloading early).

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
you don really want parker taking the hard work first and second hit ups of each set. that should be the designated props job only and thats why they play 20 mins and have a rest.

parker really should stay that 13 that can roam a bit and take the 3rd hit up and play a full 80 mins

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
remember it is still a trial, so maybe they just want to see how he goes up front...

besides i remember many people on BHQ calling for him to move to prop for a few years

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
honestly, i don't think much will change with the way Parker plays anyway ... he tends to play up the middle normally for us, that will continue.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Re: Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

As has been warned in other threads, let's leave the get rid of Hook stuff to the thread it belongs!

I'm okay with comments about him regarding this trial, but the posts about replacing him with Walters and other similar opinions, do NOT belong here.

This is a trial, Parker at Prop might be:

- Giving Glenn, Thaiday and Gillett a chance to prove their worth and who gets the starting spots in Rd 1
- Parker starts at Prop and moves to second row after 15, 20 mins, allowing Hannant/Kennedy to keep the momentum going.
- Parker moves to Prop and we keep Glenn, Gillett in the second row, and Thaiday at lock, which might prove a good move with Sammy's ball playing ability.

We could really do worse than any of the above with our forwards, keeping in mind we have Oates, Ofahengaue, Molo and Lowrie waiting for a chance too!

I really hope Vidot has a slight injury issue, and that is the reason he isn't in the team, while Maranta is.
On the other hand, I will stop hating on Lachlan, and hope he suddenly discovered that you're supposed to cross the try line and put the ball down to actually score, and that the best way to do that is to actually try to avoid the opposition players tackling, either by running over them (not gonna happen), or by evading contact and going over the side line as well!
Meaning: Duck, weave and dive to the fucking try line you goof!

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
honestly, i don't think much will change with the way Parker plays anyway ... he tends to play up the middle normally for us, that will continue.

Agreed, personally I think there's a lot of benefit to it, strengthens the prop rotation, allows us better flexibility of bench options too.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Agreed, personally I think there's a lot of benefit to it, strengthens the prop rotation, allows us better flexibility of bench options too.

because it means thaiday will be playing more in the middle as well...

parkers a work horse but if you push him into outright prop the workload is going to get too much

you want two PROPS (in rotation with two bench props) + parker playing 80 mins or close to it, in the middle.

thaiday on the RIGHT

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
im not a maranta fan but it will be so funny if he kills it. hahaha

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.