Trial #3 Warriors vs Broncos - POST GAME DISCUSSION

How much effect do you guys think travelling to and from NZ, twice in a week as well as playing in the 9s had on the team?
quicksand.jpg

Sorry mate, I don't think a RL professional team (actually THE RL professional team), can use that as an excuse.

The straws I'm grasping at are that the nines results may have played on their minds, it was a trial and people were moved around, and before they knew it, the Warriors were punishing them for a nonchalant attitude.
I have no other explanation for that dismal defensive display, which severely contributed to emphasise the attacking issues we have.

I hope that caning will serve as a wake-up call to everyone that lapses of concentration or attitude in the NRL, will get you spanked!

It's not like we don't have enough problems as it is. The players attitude is the only reason I haven't been on the sack Hook bandwagon like a rabbid dog... but if we start to see the team play like they did in the Henjak era, that will quickly change.

I'm going to clutch at this straw:

In the final trial of 2006, we were effectively written off after Melbourne belted us 50-4. Then in round 2 we beat Melbourne and we beat the for a second time in the GF.

Seems like as good a straw to clutch to, as any.

In the final trial of 2006, we were effectively written off after Melbourne belted us 50-4. Then in round 2 we beat Melbourne and we beat the for a second time in the GF.

We had a good team in 2006. That's not the case now.

Didn't we lose all our trial games on 06? I usually don't care for trial games at all, but the facts are we're 82-10 in our trials and our biggest worry last year was defence. I'm not confident, but naturally I'm optimistic and am hoping for a miracle turnaround. I'm sick of going into what feels like every game in the past 2 years thinking we'll probably lose and just playing such a boring and depressing game. That's where I hope Barba can change things but id our defence doesn't improve 100 fold the he wont make a difference.

The difference in 2006 was, we had Darren Lockyer and Wayne Bennett.

there is losing trials and then there is losing a trial 48-4 with your top side on the paddock, and their top half sitting on the bench the entire second half.

results in trials do not matter. form/structure/game plans are being tested as well as general fitness. while the latter seemed fine (compared to previous years) there was nothing positive to be taken from first and 44 pts difference in the sides is a clear indication of that.

Last edited:
I think we should disregard the result. What the team collectively will feel is pain and some embarrassment which should be enough to guarantee an enthusiastic start to the season. I doubt we will start winning early in the season but by the end should be around the middle at best. I may be old fashioned but as several posters have pointed out, we look small. I have been calling for some old fashioned front rowers and a bit of size in the rest for a few years now. I don't give a shit about how the game has ' moved on ', the fundamentals haven't. It's easy to go through the middle if it doesn't hurt.

One other thing, Mills is a centre and should be played there.

Bulldogs, North Queensland and then the Roosters, if we can get through with not one cricket score against us we are blessed, I want to be as optimistic as the next person but after that display and the last two season's, its just not there anymore, hell I've even tried since the end of last season to be as positive as I can be but outside of our nine's result and a Queensland SOO victory, not much to look forward to unless something seriously changes by round 1.

Last edited:
I think we should disregard the result.

I don't think the RESULT matters but who we played and in particular how we defended matters. If you are playing like that in a trial with close to your full strength side all signs point to a very tough year.

It certainly looks that way. The problem is we have an opening for a winger and he is one of our few options.

Looking at that trial again, how good were the Warriors FFS. If Elliott has found the right mix of structure and attack they will be awesome to watch. I won't be missing one of their games. They just eased into their attacking structures so well with lots of second man plays and cut out passes, it was terrific rugby league.

Hook ol mate study that game and don't be embarrassed to copy all of those structures and learn how to defend that move they scored off just before half time , it was a little to easy but the move is a good one.

The Cows scored off the same move at Redcliffe (Taumolols try) except on the left side of the posts. Every side will be throwing that at us now.

Does anyone think that the zero tackle restart rule was in the back of the mind for hunt on a lot of the 5th tackle options? I saw him put one low attacking kick dead early then it seemed like he was consciously avoiding it for every set after that. Even to the point of putting up a bomb 40-50m out from the try line

Does anyone think that the zero tackle restart rule was in the back of the mind for hunt on a lot of the 5th tackle options? I saw him put one low attacking kick dead early then it seemed like he was consciously avoiding it for every set after that. Even to the point of putting up a bomb 40-50m out from the try line

When I heard about that rule, I instantly though the number of bombs we put up will increase by at least 50%.

I think we should disregard the result. What the team collectively will feel is pain and some embarrassment which should be enough to guarantee an enthusiastic start to the season. I doubt we will start winning early in the season but by the end should be around the middle at best. I may be old fashioned but as several posters have pointed out, we look small. I have been calling for some old fashioned front rowers and a bit of size in the rest for a few years now. I don't give a shit about how the game has ' moved on ', the fundamentals haven't. It's easy to go through the middle if it doesn't hurt.

Agreed. We have a few big boppers in the squad don't we? Hook just doesn't want to use them for some reason. Wallace, Green and Hala are all big bodies. Green in particular trialed well I believe.

I think we are good at making yards, even if we just play the most basic of styles. Big Forwards won't fix our defence though, nor will they suddenly make us more creative in attack.

I think we are good at making yards, even if we just play the most basic of styles. Big Forwards won't fix our defence though, nor will they suddenly make us more creative in attack.

Not that I agree that bigger forwards are needed, but in theory they'd be better at the wrestle and slowing down the PTB.

Thanks once again for taking Todd Lowsie off us. He stacks up the tackle stats but the reality is he is mostly ineffective.

Dont kick yourselves too hard Broncos fans. The Warriors were in great form. Young players really stepped up as well as our new recruits.

That being said, your offensive tactics were simply horrible. Really painful to watch. It was like they were just going through the motions. Your forwards were mostly poor bar the obvious players that always give it their all. The majority though had the penetration of a one inch dick at the line. Your rookie halves only compounded the lack of go forward. No team will ever be any good with the engine room in such disarray. Your defence behind the ruck area was pathetic. We were marching through at will. You over compensated at times but that only left your edges exposed. A weakness the Warriors exploited mercilessly.

TBH this is probably the worst Broncos lineup I have ever seen and Ive been a fan of the team since they entered the competition. I know your teams having injury concerns but where on earth is your guys NYC graduates? Broncos have always been able to pull world class halves, forwards and wingers out of their ass and totally own the competition with brute and speed. Whats happening with your development? Recruitment? Whats going on?

Forget about the result of this trial. This is the real issue facing your club. This one result will only become the norm if it isn't addressed ASAP. Urgently!

Broncos are always a very competitive team but the success of the club is slowly fading and the dynasty that Bennett built up is all but gone. I honestly hope things improve but you almost get the sense it will get worse before it gets better.

Sorry if this is seen as trolling. Only the opinion of someone from the outside looking in and a fan who is use to disappointment from his own team year in year out...

I dunno, some of the best recent defenders in the competition are fairly small. Dallas Johnson, Cameron Smith, Ashley Harrison...even McCullough is arguably our best defender.

The key to not letting them get a massive roll on is to not give them any room by moving up in defence.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.