Trial #3 Warriors vs Broncos - POST GAME DISCUSSION

There were some OK signs in attack, IMO

Like you said, defense is the single most worrying aspect of our team. It's disgraceful. Just what the hell has Kearney done to this team???

Exactly. We know our attack won't be our strength with the halves we have so our defence had to be very good. Our defence was as bad as it has ever been and as a result our attack never really got a chance anyway.

It's ok it was just a trial and Hook's secret super plan is coming off.

I believe the plan is to play so terrible during the trials that when the season starts the Broncos can catch other teams off guard!

But in all seriousness all we heard about the off season was how Corvo is getting the players fitter and trials with unlimited interchange players the benefits of this don't show at all. The players do look much fitter than last season and this will show in games with limited interchanges not trials where we have players constantly switching around positions they don't normally play in.

I can't really find an excuse for the defence though.

Anyone still thinking Hunt is first grade material? Hands up?

Hand is up nice and high, not judging him on a trial game where he had two different halves partners and 2 different fullbacks/hookers...

We need a set spine with no interchange, also why does it seem like you only pop up when something negative is said?

Hand is up nice and high, not judging him on a trial game where he had two different halves partners and 2 different fullbacks/hookers...

We need a set spine with no interchange, also why does it seem like you only pop up when something negative is said?

He's not the only one to do that

It is madness to write Hunt of already isn't it. Our forwards get smashed we leak points all game and what we get out of it is the halfback is no good.

Hunt seemed to have a decent combo with Barba in the trials. I will give them a few games together before I say for sure Hunt is no good.

I was just going over the footage, and this is what I heard Voss say about Maranta.

"He's a very handy winger."

I could not believe it. I've got all footage of their games over the past few years, and I'm going to make a video to send to Voss. A video that shows just how many tries he has bombed and just how many conceded tries he has been responsible for. I'm guessing it's going to be a long one.

A wingers job is to score tries, so I don't see how someone that bombs an average of 2 tries a game is a very handy winger.

Maybe I am being overly harsh, but that's just my view. Broncos never should have let go of Winterstein.

Phil Gould said something similar last year. Was hoping he'd try and sign him but nope.

There is 3 major problems that I see at the moment, hopefully we can fix at least 2 of them before seasons end.

1) Coaching, Griffin's style of attack hasn't worked since Lockyer left, and he's not knowledgeable enough to change it, I dunno what exactly Kearney does, but it isn't good, if he's our defensive coach, he should be the first to go.

2) Changing line-up, I don't mind trying to find what we think is our best combination, but to change a Five-Eighth 3 or 4 times in a trial game is stupid, most Five-Eighths will have 20-30 minute periods where they aren't really involved, even in a good game, so to judge someone off the little 20 or so minutes they get there is unbelievably stupid, and no doubt Griffin's idea.

3) Fitness & Speed, Hopefully the addition of Corvo will have our fitness top notch by seasons end, but being fit oft doesn't make you faster, we quite simply haven't got "quick" players, our fastest players are probably Hoffman & Barba, neither of which would come close to the fastest players of other clubs, in 2015 / 2016 we need to secure some FAST outside backs, bring some exciting football back to the Broncos.

Anyone still thinking Hunt is first grade material? Hands up?

I'm reserving judgement on all individuals at the broncos until they're under the guidance of a coach who installs contemporary & relevant systems.

To put it another way, I have little doubt that pretty much any current bronco could shine if they were slotted in at South Sydney or the Storm.

besides the odd freak individual there really isn't a lot of difference ability wise between players in the NRL imo ... coaching is the biggest point of difference imo.

Last edited:
I watched the trial live and have enjoyed reading the different comments on this board the last 24 hours or so. Its great to have the footy back!

I was pretty disapointed in the performance like most people but to give credit where its due, the Warriors played very good football. Johnson and Tomkins was chalk and cheese compared to what we were throwing at them and we were totally out muscled and out enthused in that 2nd half which allowed Chad Townsend to carve us up.

I'm no fan of Griffin, i think he is well and truely out of his depth. The players must know his job is on the line and it was worrying that through their performace they didnt seem to care. He was never going to be sacked after a trial game, and rightfully so, but i really hope management take action mid season should that be our standard performance.

The concern for me from our trial game is that our pack still looks light weight even with the addition of (a so far mediocre) Kennedy. Warriors are a big side but the venom in which their pack ran compared to ours was noticeable to me. We may be fitter than last year but we do not look any quicker.

Someone mentioned that Maranta is not the main issue, and they are right, but he kind of sums up the problem for me at the moment with our coach and club. We can all see that he is a very very average first grade winger yet he is still here and still being picked far too often.

I'm reserving judgement on all individuals at the broncos until they're under the guidance of a coach who installs contemporary & relevant systems.

To put it another way, I have little doubt that pretty much any current bronco could shine if they were slotted in at South Sydney or the Storm.

I agree with this. I also believe that we could sign DCE etc. and griffin would turn them into very average players

The concern for me from our trial game is that our pack still looks light weight even with the addition of (a so far mediocre) Kennedy. Warriors are a big side but the venom in which their pack ran compared to ours was noticeable to me. We may be fitter than last year but we do not look any quicker.

i loved the way matagi ran the ball.

Disappointing effort, overall. It's hard to read too much into a trial game (in years past we've won them easily only to struggle in the opening rounds of the season proper) but the signs weren't good. A 40 point loss doesn't really inspire much confidence in the year ahead.

2) Changing line-up, I don't mind trying to find what we think is our best combination, but to change a Five-Eighth 3 or 4 times in a trial game is stupid, most Five-Eighths will have 20-30 minute periods where they aren't really involved, even in a good game, so to judge someone off the little 20 or so minutes they get there is unbelievably stupid, and no doubt Griffin's idea.

I agree with your whole post but this especially. Frustrated the absolute shit out of me. I could understand Niko and Strasser getting say a half each, but he stuck Hoffman up there and moved Nik to the back at one stage. Pointless and a waste of trial time.

I watched the trial live and have enjoyed reading the different comments on this board the last 24 hours or so. Its great to have the footy back!

I was pretty disapointed in the performance like most people but to give credit where its due, the Warriors played very good football. Johnson and Tomkins was chalk and cheese compared to what we were throwing at them and we were totally out muscled and out enthused in that 2nd half which allowed Chad Townsend to carve us up.

I'm no fan of Griffin, i think he is well and truely out of his depth. The players must know his job is on the line and it was worrying that through their performace they didnt seem to care. He was never going to be sacked after a trial game, and rightfully so, but i really hope management take action mid season should that be our standard performance.

Someone mentioned that Maranta is not the main issue, and they are right, but he kind of sums up the problem for me at the moment with our coach and club. We can all see that he is a very very average first grade winger yet he is still here and still being picked far too often.

I'm sure someone posted on here that there's something within some sort of contract that states that players will get at least 2(?) trials....could be wrong or maybe it's something to do with our feeder clubs? Gahhhh, can't remember.

Rnd 1 will either be

1. Barba
2. Hoff
3. Reed
4. Copley/Vidot
5. Vidot/Copley

or

1. Hoffman
2. Mills/Oates/Drew/YY
3. Reed
4. Copley/Vidot
5. Vidot/Copley

The first, IMO, is our best option but I have a feeling Babs will be in the 6 at least until Kahu gets back.

How much effect do you guys think travelling to and from NZ, twice in a week as well as playing in the 9s had on the team?

How much effect do you guys think travelling to and from NZ, twice in a week as well as playing in the 9s had on the team?

I assumed they just stayed there after the 9's.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Tmac
  • lynx000
  • bert_lifts
  • Gaz
  • Redux
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • heartly87
  • Big Del
  • winslow_wong
  • Ondi
  • HarryAllan7
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.