Two Country Origin selectors resign over halfback dispute

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Brett Kimmorley is at the centre of a selection feud which led to two selectors quitting after the Bulldogs halfback was left out of the Country Origin squad.

The Daily Telegraph has revealed Country selectors Frank Fish and Shane Matthews resigned after Newcastle Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen was named ahead of Kimmorley for Friday night's game against City in Orange.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 47,00.html

LOLZ! NSW - just a bunch of sooky *****!

And I thought all of the dummy spits would be coming from Bellamy this year!

I agree with Frank Fish & Shane Matthews

I'm a bit each way. Yes, I agree what's the point of selectors if their opinion is just overruled by the coach. But as the chairman of selectors said, Kimmorley is 33 and isn't in the frame for NSW, so why pick him for what's supposed to be a NSW selection trial? The result is irrelevant, nobody cares.

Why isnt kimmorely in the frame for NSW tho? Hes playing great

He's 33. Shit reason i know, but that's their reason.

I would have Mullen ahead of Kimmorley in NSW selection stakes. I know Kimmorley is in great form this year, but seriously he has been in great club form and failed in Origin before. Also agree if he's not in the frame for Origin then no point playing City-Country. I also understand that Bellamy requested that Mullen and Wallace face off in City-Country.

I also think that the NSW selectors and coach. should actually choose both the City and Country sides, so it can be more of an Origin trial. And I think the coach should get a vote in these teams and if it's tied then he gets the deciding vote - after all he is the one whose job is on the line if they lose so he should really get a big say in his team.

i for one hope they bring kimmorley into origin. i was there at suncorp for "that pass" and remember vividly matty bowen running the rest of the length waving his finger and noone was going to catch him. what a great way to win our 4th series straight it would be
:)

Faile din Origin, but he used to go alright playing for Australia did he not?

Nashy said:
Faile din Origin, but he used to go alright playing for Australia did he not?

Yep. And he almost always got picked for NSW after Johns was ruled out, so he was always considered "the alternative". He's a confidence player, that's not going to help him.

Also, earlier in his career he was very much dependent on the style of play Anderson coached him with at Melbourne, and he struggled to adjust to other game plans. He seems to have really gelled well with the Bulldogs.

You would think if they pick Ennis for NSW 9 that they'd want Kimmorley in the 7 for the combination. Those two are going great guns at the moment.

Yeah but the NSW hierarchy are looking to start afresh this year - they are highly embarrassed at the failures of the past 3 years, so they are basically looking to go with as many fresh faces as they can get away with, so those who have been in losing teams in the past won't be getting much of a look-in. We'll see how that all works out for them.

I agree with coxy youd think that they would be trying to get as many combinations in key positions as they can regardless of age... i think there are going to be alot of dragons picked

It would have made even more of a mockery of City-Country as a selection trial had they selected Kimmorley. His omission from the 40 man NSW squad indicates that he's no longer in their plans.

Flutterby said:
I would have Mullen ahead of Kimmorley in NSW selection stakes. I know Kimmorley is in great form this year, but seriously he has been in great club form and failed in Origin before. Also agree if he's not in the frame for Origin then no point playing City-Country. I also understand that Bellamy requested that Mullen and Wallace face off in City-Country.

I also think that the NSW selectors and coach. should actually choose both the City and Country sides, so it can be more of an Origin trial. And I think the coach should get a vote in these teams and if it's tied then he gets the deciding vote - after all he is the one whose job is on the line if they lose so he should really get a big say in his team.

+1

I think even though Kimmorley may deserve the jersey, NSW don't want to go that way because that is not the future for NSW, and that is a fair enough call. NSW have to look at the long term picture here, sure they don't want to lose this series but they have to look further ahead and give a young one some experience to gather so they can be an important nucleus to the future of NSW. I feel for Kimmorley but his time is up imo. I do think they have to look towards Mullen/Wallace/Pearce. They have no other choice really. (Campese should be a shoe-in for the future - kid can play)

So most people are happy for an australian side to be picked on form, but probably the form halfback of the comp thus far this season should miss out on country and NSW selection because he's too old, failed before etc.

Sure you've got to look to the future, but I would have thought the embarassment of losing 4 series in a row, something which hasn't happened before, would be more imortant in the short term. If I was a selector, I'd be picking the best possible 17 to win this years series.

I think the "He's 33, he's not in our future plans" argument is rubbish, how old is Barrett?

Active Now

• Skathen
  • bert_lifts
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • Stix
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • whykickamoocow
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • kman
  • lynx000
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Porthoz
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.