Uate?

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
With the matu'tia brothers and the rise and jake mamo. Both Uate and McManus could be on the outer. And with Wayne spending sometime with both of them. Could it be a chance of uate coming to the broncos. I would definitely not mind him at all. He'd be our best winger by far.

Difficult one.

I definitely wouldn't say no to Uate on a reasonable contract, but at the same time I currently wouldn't replace Vidot or Copley for him

No, simply because while he's a destructive runner, he has bad hands, terrible under the high ball, is awful with regards to defensive positioning, and really, he'd expect a decent contract given he's 27 and could go overseas and get something decent.

I don't think he's progressed ability wise for about 3-4 years now.

Maranta is probably faster anyway.

I would take Uate over Vidot in a heartbeat.

Even an out of form Uate is a better option than Vidot. He was out of form this year and still managed to rack up 12 tries from 15 appearances.

His defense is not great, but there are very few wingers out there that are good defenders.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to offer Tuqiri something. Would come cheaper and catch more bombs.

He runs 100m in about 10seconds. Pretty damn slow if you ask me...

Then he must run the last 50m in 3 seconds because his acceleration isn't very good.

Seriously, how many times can you show me a highlight of Maranta getting the ball in space and scoring because of his speed?

He might be fast over 100m but he's average over 20-30m. And really that's more important in this game.

Before bennett went to newcastle Uate was the best winger in the comp, in the test and origin teams. since bennett went there he went hugely backwards.

Someone make a browser extension where all instances of Bennett are replaced with Santa. This is unbearable.

And no to Uate.

Or change it to Anna Kendrick or Shaun Johnson and watch me become the biggest WB fan this forum has ever seen!

Then he must run the last 50m in 3 seconds because his acceleration isn't very good.

Seriously, how many times can you show me a highlight of Maranta getting the ball in space and scoring because of his speed?

He might be fast over 100m but he's average over 20-30m. And really that's more important in this game.

Yeah, I know what your saying, but I think it's due to a lack of confidence. He just doesn't seem to back himself at all. When he gets the ball he sort of freezes and takes the conservative option of taking the tackle rather than pinning his ears back. In saying that, this year was certainly an improvement from the previous year. It probably doesn't help with Hodges constantly yelling at him hahhaa. We've discussed it before that Maranta plays better without Hodges in the team.

To be fair to Maranta, he could just be a victim of Hook's bulking program. Nothing will be affected more by a few extra kgs than acceleration.

But I really can't think of any single moment where Maranta looked fast to me. Whereas I remember Kahu's try in our finals game against the Cows and thinking how he showed good acceleration over 10m to score his 2nd try. Despite playing many more games Maranta hasn't once shown that. But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong as a fast finisher is something we have lacked forever.

Despite that, no to Uate. Unless it's like 100k, but we both know someone else would offer him more than that if he hit the market.

Before bennett went to newcastle Uate was the best winger in the comp, in the test and origin teams. since bennett went there he went hugely backwards.

Yeah interesting that. He just seemed so un-confident in his ability under Bennett, plus the injury, and it really ate away at his form. Everything just went from bad to worse since the 2012 origin series. in He played his best under Rick Stone, pre Bennett. As an NRL fan, hopefully he can return to that form which made him such an excitement machine. He was a pleasure to watch and he certainly knows how to score a try.

To be fair to Maranta, he could just be a victim of Hook's bulking program. Nothing will be affected more by a few extra kgs than acceleration.

But I really can't think of any single moment where Maranta looked fast to me. Whereas I remember Kahu's try in our finals game against the Cows and thinking how he showed good acceleration over 10m to score his 2nd try. Despite playing many more games Maranta hasn't once shown that. But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong as a fast finisher is something we have lacked forever.

Despite that, no to Uate. Unless it's like 100k, but we both know someone else would offer him more than that if he hit the market.

Yeah, he's probably just playing at an uncomfortable weight and his not really used to it.

Have a look at some highlights of round 24 against the Knights and in a couple of instances Maranta shows a bit of his speed.

Or round 12 against Manly when Gillett runs 90m to score. Just have a look at Maranta looming up on the inside and he's not even sprinting.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  • simplythebest
  • Johnny92
  • Behold
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • LittleDavey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Skyblues87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bish
  • mrslong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Wolfie
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.