V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

This would be great for the Broncos (although the club’s days of being heavily affected by origin may be significantly reduced for a while) but horrible for the showpiece that is State of Origin. On the field we’d rarely see the best of the best lining up for either state and commercially it would surrender the massive free kick Rugby League enjoys in June-July every year when the whole of Australia tunes in on those three Wednesday nights.

In the near future watch as the Broncos make a miracle turnaround after receiving innumerable 6-again calls in the first 20 minutes. Then the NSW fans will hate the rule. Brisbane team 2 will enter and all of a sudden the games between the 2 teams will be 1 point nail-biters. Huge fan numbers to games and TV ratings. All manipulated by the NRL.

V'landys is a bookie who was smart enough to get behind the curtain.

only problem with this is we are playing that bad atm the penalty count could be 20-0 and we would still struggle to win

I thought this part of the conversation was much more important. The fox/Sydney message boy has finally realised his Sydney bubble will only get smaller without the QLD, and more importantly, the Broncos.
I don't care who become CEO and coach as long as they fucking ram this shit home, repetively..

V'landys reveals alarming domino effect of Queensland's poor NRL showing as AFL makes inroads in Sunshine State
By George Vlotis

Play Video
V'landys 'concerned' with state of rugby league in QLD
1 / 20><
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says the NRL is "very concerned" about the state of rugby league in Queensland as AFL begins to stake a foothold in the Sunshine State.

It's been a grim season for rugby league in Queensland with the state's three franchises languishing at the bottom of the ladder with the Bulldogs.

At the centre of the downturn is undeniably the Brisbane Broncos' infamous season from hell which has seen the once esteemed franchise dragged through the mud in a torrid year for fans.

With the Cowboys and Titans not faring much better, V'landys revealed viewers up north had begun to tune-out as their teams' seasons had waned on, causing ratings to take a dip in the Sunshine State.

Patrick Carrigan of the Broncos reacts after losing the round 16 NRL match against the Sydney Roosters. (Getty)
It's just the first ripple in perhaps a wider domino effect that a weakened Queensland system could have on the wider game, and V'Landys insisted it needed to be fixed, and fast.

"Look, we're very concerned because we need a strong Broncos," V'landys told Nine's 100% Footy. "We need a real leading team in Queensland because that's our second biggest market after NSW.

"We make all our money from the broadcast revenues and both broadcasters ironically fought after who would have the Brisbane games because they've always been the higher rating games.

"The fact that they've performed poorly, the ratings are poor, and that makes it hard for us to renegotiate broadcast deals. Without broadcast, there is no game in its current form and I can't stress enough how important those dollars are to the game of rugby league.
So everything that is bolded above confirms how important the Broncos are to the very survival of the NRL. Yet, the NSWRL cannot see past their own noses as they consistently flog us with biased/dodgy referee/bunker calls that are so lopsided we all know that it's not just our poorly performing team.

Surely they realise that we're not just switching off because of poor performances. It's the manner of how those performances are being 'manufactured'. For the first 4 or 5 weeks it seemed to be every 'tinkering' to the rule was trialed during a Broncos game and no guesses who came out on the wrong end of the 6again/penalty count. Then when they decided to crackdown on crusher tackles - it just so happened that big Haas (who is such a cleanskin) was the first to get hit with a two week suspension.

Add into this how TPJ has been treated by the judiciary and you begin to see why the TV ratings have dropped off a cliff in Qld.

More importantly though, now that the NRL has openly admitted how badly a strong Broncos is needed, the club needs to go on the offensive and start kicking up merry hell by pointing out the gross inconsistencies we are made to swallow weekly. Perhaps V'lander will consider why we are cracking up so much up here.

Last edited:
If anyone saw the interview with him when the shit hit the fan with Racing Australia / NSW, the bloke couldn’t lie straight in bed.

I don't care when Origin is played, just as long as it is on a Saturday night.

There’ll be lucky to be 34 players left by the end of the season given the injury rate this season.

So you're telling me Green will walk out of cowboys where he had preferential treatment into a Broncos team that may get preferential treatment for the first time in its existence.

Does the guy shit lucky charms as well???
Yes he does. He is lucky....or good...or both, his timing is impeccable so far

So you're telling me Green will walk out of cowboys where he had preferential treatment into a Broncos team that may get preferential treatment for the first time in its existence.

Does the guy shit lucky charms as well???

How does Green justify in his interview what a shit show he left the Cowboys in. They even had to have a press release to calm the fans down.

only problem with this is we are playing that bad atm the penalty count could be 20-0 and we would still struggle to win
I'm certain that if we hadn't been destroyed by dodgy calls from round 3 to 7 we would have been mentally stronger and not given up. The Knights game absolutely crushed the team. I can't remember which game it was now, I think sharks in Round 12 they were looking good and then they just got totally demoralised again. There was also one game where the whole team was shouting at the ref for a dodgy penalty when they had the opposition pinned on the line, it turned the whole game and was so obvious that the team just knew they were being screwed over. Can't remember the game (maybe Manly, rd 5, DCE dive and strip penalty to lose by 2, 12-2 penalty count), but they could have been much better if they weren't torn down for multiple weeks straight.

Edit: it was Rd 13 against the Rabbitohs and the boys were fair sick of all the dodgy one-sided calls going against them. Staggs had just dribbled a kick into the in-goal and was tackled without the ball with no call. The Souths player hadn't actually made the field of play and was called held with the ball hovering over the line. The Broncos rushed up on the next play to be penalised (not a 6-again, mind you! NO, a full penalty at the refs discretion) and after all of them snapping back at the ref were marched 10. Broncos were actually in the game until this broke their mentality AGAIN.

Attachments

• Held.PNG
    Held.PNG
    652.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I will add to this by saying that in Rd 13 the next call in that match was the broncos defending their line admirably before fielding a kick in the in-goal only to be penalised for Farnworth not being able to magically phase out of the way of a chaser who was never going to reach the ball. Liberal interpretation of the blocking rule inconsistently applied. I mean, if anything Staggs was deliberately taken out. Whereas, Herbert simply held his position.
Staggs vs herbs

I think we all owe the afl a thank you. The AFL gf will have the NRL shutting itself. For too long Queensland clubs have been getting a raw deal from the nswrl. Soft suspensions, unexplainable penalties, crackdowns that are only used on the Broncos on multiple occasions, having to play Thursday and Friday night's every week to keep the Sydney clubs afloat via a tv deal, little nrl media ran out of Brisbane... I've got no doubt this will be pushed as an excuse to get a new club in Brisbane but once again they will fail to actually talk and listen to why fans are leaving the game up here.

I think we all owe the afl a thank you. The AFL gf will have the NRL shutting itself. For too long Queensland clubs have been getting a raw deal from the nswrl. Soft suspensions, unexplainable penalties, crackdowns that are only used on the Broncos on multiple occasions, having to play Thursday and Friday night's every week to keep the Sydney clubs afloat via a tv deal, little nrl media ran out of Brisbane... I've got no doubt this will be pushed as an excuse to get a new club in Brisbane but once again they will fail to actually talk and listen to why fans are leaving the game up here.

Honestly we are this far in now I almost hope the do nothing and we take them down with us. The contempt the NRL has shown to us for basically our whole existence deserves many losing their cushy jobs.

I think the Nrl are likely oblivious to how big this is from the AFL, this won’t manifest itself next year but five-ten years from now, particularly if the Broncs are on the way to staying down, this will be HUGE.

I don't understand why we need more teams, if you can't play round robin evenly the structure is wrong and can be swayed so some teams get a better draw than others. All teams need to play each other twice home and away. More teams dilute the talent pool, even more so they talking bringing back reserve grade and under 23s now. My opinion is 12 teams is enough (14 max) with the 4 weeks of finals.

Example, 2019 was 25 rounds, we played only 9 teams twice of which 5 were top eight teams.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • westy316
  • TimWhatley
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.