V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

V'landys is whinging about the AFL (due to them hosting this years GF at the Gabba)

talking about how the AFL are never going to become the number 1 sport in the state ... yadda yadda yadda

I got news for you Vlandy's ... you and the NRL have been taking QLD for granted for years ... BE CAREFUL

if anyone cares, here is what he said:

“They can huff and puff but they will never blow the house down because it’s solid brick,” he said.

“Our supporters are solid, they’re not straw. They can blow all they like but they won’t blow the brick wall down. Our rugby league supporters are strong, to say the least.

“All the huffing and puffing they are doing is not a concern.

“Queensland is part and parcel of rugby league. We’ve got the left arm in New South Wales and the right arm in Queensland. It’s a vital part of our game.

“Queensland is not just Brisbane. It’s from right up the top to the bottom.

“They can huff and puff and keep blowing but the brick house will stand.”

Vlandy's talks about the AFL GF being in Brisbane:

“It’s not of concern to us, good luck to the Queensland Government,” he said.

“It’s a one-off situation. It’s not going to translate.

“It’s like feeding meat to a vegetarian. The vegetarian might try it for a few minutes but then goes back to being a vegetarian.”

Talks about a turf war

“The AFL can steal whatever databases they want,” he said.

“It’s a flash in the pan. The AFL will never have another grand final in Queensland ever again.

“Who cares? Queensland is rugby league heartland. As if some Cowboys fan in Cairns is going to start following the Brisbane Lions? I don’t think so.

“The AFL can sell meat but the vegetarians won’t eat it.”

This guy is a jerk. I hope Qlders come out and rub his face in it like he is rubbing our faces in his taking us for granted. What a moron.

Nor does origin require a bunch of Kiwis / Pacific Islanders running around. It's an Australian spectacle ... state of origin. A kiwi who wants to play for NZ over Australia shouldn't be eligible to trot out in a QLD jersey just because he played a game of footy there when he was 10. It's ridiculous.
State of Origin is literally about which system of footy you came up through.

The birth rules shouldn't rule out a kid who has played his whole junior career in QLD or NSW cup.

I love rugby league.
The NswRL have to realise THEY ARE NOT THE FUCKING OWNERS OF IT. The arrogance and contempt for Queensland that nsw has worked to build up origin and rivalry with the Broncos in the fucking 80s. This is 2020!!!!

I've said it 100s of times, but ffs this game would be so much better off now if super league won. I have no doubt about it

No doubt about it whatsoever.

The crying in here calling it a big conspiracy against us and fawning over afl is a laugh.

We are having a shit year, our worst ever. Deal with it, because if you can't own your failures you just end up buck-passing your whole life.

Man the Broncos picked the perfect year to shit the bed.

If QLD can't get to host the GF now it will never happen, it may call itself the NRL but it is still the NSWRL with a new name, they give zero ***** about QLD and despite it being a crucial state to the sport it still can't get the rights to Host a GF.

In my view it should be like State of Origin just change between Sydney and Brisbane and the odd other state who has a big stadium.

Last edited:
There’s a reason NFL moves the super bowl game around...

This guy is a jerk. I hope Qlders come out and rub his face in it like he is rubbing our faces in his taking us for granted. What a moron.
The QLD clubs are already one step ahead of you there.
BEAF3EBE 43A1 4B6F 8E37 1FAAF1776D9C

The arrogance of this bloke and his belief that we don’t see through nswrl bullshit is going to bite this prick in the behind. The gf should be alternated and should have been for the last 25 years.

**** I wish super league prevailed. I was at last years gf, my first one. It was the worst viewing experience I’ve ever had $400 seats to boot.

**** you nsw.

V'landys is whinging about the AFL (due to them hosting this years GF at the Gabba)

talking about how the AFL are never going to become the number 1 sport in the state ... yadda yadda yadda

I got news for you Vlandy's ... you and the NRL have been taking QLD for granted for years ... BE CAREFUL

if anyone cares, here is what he said:

“They can huff and puff but they will never blow the house down because it’s solid brick,” he said.

“Our supporters are solid, they’re not straw. They can blow all they like but they won’t blow the brick wall down. Our rugby league supporters are strong, to say the least.

“All the huffing and puffing they are doing is not a concern.

“Queensland is part and parcel of rugby league. We’ve got the left arm in New South Wales and the right arm in Queensland. It’s a vital part of our game.

“Queensland is not just Brisbane. It’s from right up the top to the bottom.

“They can huff and puff and keep blowing but the brick house will stand.”

Vlandy's talks about the AFL GF being in Brisbane:

“It’s not of concern to us, good luck to the Queensland Government,” he said.

“It’s a one-off situation. It’s not going to translate.

“It’s like feeding meat to a vegetarian. The vegetarian might try it for a few minutes but then goes back to being a vegetarian.”

Talks about a turf war

“The AFL can steal whatever databases they want,” he said.

“It’s a flash in the pan. The AFL will never have another grand final in Queensland ever again.

“Who cares? Queensland is rugby league heartland. As if some Cowboys fan in Cairns is going to start following the Brisbane Lions? I don’t think so.

“The AFL can sell meat but the vegetarians won’t eat it.”

This guy is such an arrogant flog, how the **** is he so popular?

I'm pretty sure it is all tied up in the tv rights deal we've all heard nothing about. I bet he sold the game short in exchange for nothing but positive press about management.
Absolute media compliance was his modus operandi at Racing NSW and it would hardly be surprising if he operated the same way with the NRL.

Last edited:
Absolute media compliance was his modus operandi at Racing NSW and it would hardly be surprising if he operated the same way with the NRL.
Watch the 2019 (I think) ABC exposé on the treatment of race horses in Australia if you want to see him squirm.

Bloke presents an unflappable front, but the ABC didn’t get the media compliance memo.

He did not handle the line of questioning well at all.

Watch the 2019 (I think) ABC exposé on the treatment of race horses in Australia if you want to see him squirm.

Bloke presents an unflappable front, but the ABC didn’t get the media compliance memo.

He did not handle the line of questioning well at all.
No that's correct, the ABC are about the only news agency in the country who don't always play nice with Racing NSW because there is no commercial incentive for them to do so. When the other commercial operators are all tripping over themselves for access and broadcast rights they know full well that anything other than glowing coverage and complete compliance with Racing NSW and V'Landys will have them instantly blacklisted.

Last edited:
Let's not all jump off the deep end. Personally think it's fantastic that the AFL GF will be played in QLD, if not just to piss off the Victorians :).

I don't think this will be some halo for the sport in QLD when every kid turns away from League in favour for the Red Sherrin. The Lions made the GF four years in a row and won the flag three times. They got family friendly time slots almost every week. 15+ years later and those kids watching that Lions team are now adults but we really haven't seen that come through in the AFL. Lions best player (Lachie Neale) isn't a QLDer.

We just need to look after ourselves and get our shit together. What's happening within the club is far more damaging then what's happening in the AFL. We don't have likable players. Someone for young kids to look up to. We need to get Cam Smith. we HAVE to!

It's all a matter of opinion, and taste.
I'm born and bred Adelaide, grew up treating AFL as a religion (my whole family still does) and I cannot stand the sport now.
There is just nothing entertaining about it - for me.
The problem with the game is that the basic rules and aims are simply not difficult.
The main aim is to kick a goal. How do you do that? Just kick a ball between to posts. Ah yes, but it's much harder because someone can be there trying to stop it. Actually, no problem, just kick it over their heads.
And don't get me started on marking the ball.....if you catch it, nobody can touch you....WTF?
The entire game is just too scrappy and lacks structure.
You can seriously re-create a game of AFL by throwing a hot chip to a pack of seagulls - it's the same spectacle.
The only way AFL is tolerable and moderately exciting is if you have an emotional investment in a particular team.

Also it’s hard to take a professional sport seriously when you can get a point to your score by an incompetent play of slightly missing the 2 big posts in the middle and getting it between the smaller sticks which rewards mediocrity.

Could you imagine that in the NRL?

“Oh that was so close to a try and deserved one, we will reward you with a point”

“Oh the conversion has hit the upright. That’s worth a point”

Your seagull analogy is spot on. Look everyone is each to their own but I’ve tried viewing it without my Rugby League hat on and without any preconceived notions and I honestly don’t get the hype and it still seems to as popular as it is in this day and age.

Actually, I have an inkling why it is still super popular. Because simple people who watch sport purely for entertainment like a simple game where there is lots of points. I’ve been following conversations and one of the biggest gripes amongst AFL fans this year has been the lack of points. That and the fact it is still a religion in the southern and western states means it’ll always have a huge following.

I do contract work once a year at the Gabba during a live event so I have first hand been at a live AFL game multiple times and I will say it does seem to be a much better match day experience and atmosphere. If you combine that with family friendly time slots played in bigger grounds, the fact more is happening off the ball and the cult following Australia wide, it is why they get consistent good crowds. In the current climate of the new generation needing to be constantly stimulated in the technology world, that is why Union is all but dead in this country because it hasn’t adapted to make the sport more entertaining. Union is too technical, too slow, too little ball in play and become a kick a thon.

I follow the Lions results because I’m a QLDer/Brisbanite who just follows the city in any sporting organisation but don’t actually watch any of their games. I am also happy for the city to be hosting the AFL GF because it’s a big cap in the feather for the city and it’ll no doubt upset the Victorians.

However, whilst I think if things continue the way they are we will lose a bit of a foothold to the AFL, I don’t think AFL will ever threaten to take over SE QLD in my lifetime.

Just like AFL is a religion in Victoria, Rugby League has too much history and religion in Brisbane for it to ever change.

And the same flip flop fans we lose to the Lions over the tough periods are the same one who will come meandering back as soon as the Lions turn to shit and the Broncos start winning again.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Bronx48
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • ChewThePhatt
  • rj9
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Gympie devil
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Bish
  • Swordfish
... and 58 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.