V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

Actually, I have an inkling why it is still super popular.
It's because Victorians have this complex where they have to pretend everything from Victoria is better than its couterpart anywhere else. Just as they have to maintain the facade by telling themselves Melbourne is the birthplace of coffee, food, art and culture they also have to pretend that a bunch of clowns running around randomly, knocking on at will and getting points for missing is somehow superior to footy because it's from Melbourne. They've spent the last 100 years buying into the lie so hard VFL has become so deeply engrained in their culture they're unable to see how the NRL is a far superior code.

There’s a reason NFL moves the super bowl game around...
Because the NFL is a product for the American people, unlike the NRL which is apparently a product for a small handful of, at best, half interested fan bases of 8000-12,000 people each spread across Suburban Sydney.

Last edited:
It's because Victorians have this complex where they have to pretend everything from Victoria is better than its couterpart anywhere else. Just as they have to maintain the facade by telling themselves Melbourne is the birthplace of coffee, food, art and culture they also have to pretend that a bunch of clowns running around randomly, knocking on at will and getting points for missing is somehow superior to footy because it's from Melbourne. They've spent the last 100 years buying into the lie so hard VFL has become so deeply engrained in their culture they're unable to see how the NRL is a far superior code.

And don’t forget the self proclaimed ‘wE aRe ThE sPoRtiNg CaPitAl of tHe WoRLd!’ line sprouted ad nauseam at any given opportunity.

Not content with self proclaiming the sporting capital of Australia, somehow they have claimed global status despite not one country given 2 ***** about Aussie Rules outside of Australia.

To this day I honestly don’t know why they have this massive chip on their shoulders that exists and why they feel the need to seek assurances from strangers interstate to feed their ego. I am assuming it’s a culture thing? They must be dying inside that the Gabba of all places is hosting their showpiece event.

Maybe for a laugh they can try and reignite their version of State of Origin again [emoji23]

Imagine being the self proclaimed greatest state in Australia yet not being able to leave your own bloody house whilst the rest of the country is living their lives.

Last edited:
To be fair, I've traveled the world and Melbourne still has the best coffee. By that I mean that you can go to any Café and get a great coffee in Melbourne, but finding even a good coffee in Europe is really hard, and Italy was a huge disappointment.

Digressing a bit, but the same applies to WA mate, it's nauseating at times.

Italy is only good for espresso’s I found. So much American coffee in Europe. Weird.
Yeah, exactly. Had an Irish woman tell me proudly that she only drank Starbucks. Nearly threw up in my mouth.

WHat kind of international experiences are you guys having and what kind of people are you meeting? Seriously, this hasn't been my experience at all.

WHat kind of international experiences are you guys having and what kind of people are you meeting? Seriously, this hasn't been my experience at all.
Just have high coffee standards.

To be fair, I've traveled the world and Melbourne still has the best coffee. By that I mean that you can go to any Café and get a great coffee in Melbourne, but finding even a good coffee in Europe is really hard, and Italy was a huge disappointment.
I’ve had better coffees at the Dingo truck stop than the garbage I’ve had from some of the chić, hipster Melbourne joints.

It’s an abolaute pretence that everywhere you go in Melbourne has good coffee.

But if it’s a competition for highest chance of getting a terrible coffee, go no further than the US. Across 6 states I got one decent coffee, and it cost me US$8 👎

I’ve had better coffees at the Dingo truck stop than the garbage I’ve had from some of the chić, hipster Melbourne joints.

But if it’s a competition for highest chance of getting a terrible coffee, go no further than the US. Across 6 states I got one decent coffee, and it cost me US$8 👎

If you truly think this, I have to doubt you've ever been to Melbourne, I just have to. I can understand people bagging a lot of things Melbourne but coffee is just not one of them, sorry.

If you truly think this, I have to doubt you've ever been to Melbourne, I just have to. I can understand people bagging a lot of things Melbourne but coffee is just not one of them, sorry.

Perhaps bagging the coffee it too far. It's just another thing that Melbourne think they're better at. They all find their fav coffee, just like anywhere else on planet Earth, and that's where they go.

Ask any Victorian why they don't go to X, they will tell you the coffee is shit. No different to here. The difference is the person on the end of the cup just thinking Melbourne do everything better.

But if it’s a competition for highest chance of getting a terrible coffee, go no further than the US. Across 6 states I got one decent coffee, and it cost me US$8 [emoji107]
This was more what I was getting at. I'm not saying that a wanky Melbourne Cafe will have the best coffee. What I'm saying is that you've got an exponentially higher chance of walking into a place that serves coffee in Melbourne and being satisfied than almost any other place on earth. The competition is so high in Melbourne and it can make or break a business. Whereas in Italy or France, where the people are equally proud of their coffee culture, it is incredibly difficult to find even a good coffee. As mentioned, espresso is reasonably good, but it is over and done before you even can enjoy it. Order at the counter, slam it and leave. I didn't even think America was worth mentioning, they don't even know what coffee is anymore.

Edit: Also, Melbournians will say "X is shit" because it comparatively is. But that same coffee will be amazing in comparison to a coffee from a standard cafe in Europe, America or Asia.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.