V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

I think the Nrl are likely oblivious to how big this is from the AFL, this won’t manifest itself next year but five-ten years from now, particularly if the Broncs are on the way to staying down, this will be HUGE.
The other impact, which has been mentioned a few times... is the AFL will schedule the lions and suns for family friendly times allowing kids to go to the game (get on the field and have a kick etc.) .

Whereas the NRL continue to pander to the media and have the Broncos play in the least friendly timeslots... this will result in the Broncos being out of touch with the younger generations coming through. We've basically been resigned to a Friday timeslot since the two Friday games came in circa 2008??

That's 12 years and only a handful of day games for families to actually attend.

In fact they only really have 2 day time slots a round now Saturday 3pm and Sunday 4.30pm... and the Sunday game is more a twilight game.

Not only are night games not family friendly they also fail to showcase the most exciting aspect of the sport due to the dewy conditions in Shitney turning the fields into a slip and slide

My dyed in wool NRL loving/AFL hating husband is going to the Lions game on Friday night. This is because the game sucks, yes the Broncos sucking has been one small factor. This talk of making islanders eligible for Origin is the final straw for him on top of the 6 again rule and appalling reffing in general.

My dyed in wool NRL loving/AFL hating husband is going to the Lions game on Friday night. This is because the game sucks, yes the Broncos sucking has been one small factor. This talk of making islanders eligible for Origin is the final straw for him on top of the 6 again rule and appalling reffing in general.

I understand the hate for the NRL and the crappy place where the game looks to be heading at a fast rate but lets not do something silly, lets not do something that we might regret later........................like watch AFL. 😎

Last edited:
I understand the hate for the NRL and the crappy place where the game looks to be heading at a fast rate but lets not do something silly, lets not do something that we might regret later........................like watch AFL. 😎
ha ha, his mate had a free ticket for him, and he said he'd go. I was blown away. Things I never thought I'd see. Blow out scores and no defence, is there much difference between AFL and NRL at the moment tho really?

He won't turn back, the AFL is such a fun game when you understand the rules and live is WAY better than on TV too. I'm jealous. I used to be a Lions member and went to every home game even when they sucked. I had an absolute blast each and every time. Fans and NRL administration who think this MASSIVE exposure AFL is getting in Qld means nothing have a VERY rude awakening incoming. I would love to attend the AFL GF in Qld, it would be one of the best experiences of a lifetime. I'd much prefer to go to an AFL GF live over an NRL GF unless the Broncos were playing. If I had to choose between a Broncos GF and a Lions GF, I would choose the Lions without thinking twice as well because it is such a better game live. The NRL is probably better on tv than live.

He won't turn back, the AFL is such a fun game when you understand the rules and live is WAY better than on TV too. I'm jealous. I used to be a Lions member and went to every home game even when they sucked. I had an absolute blast each and every time. Fans and NRL administration who think this MASSIVE exposure AFL is getting in Qld means nothing have a VERY rude awakening incoming. I would love to attend the AFL GF in Qld, it would be one of the best experiences of a lifetime. I'd much prefer to go to an AFL GF live over an NRL GF unless the Broncos were playing. If I had to choose between a Broncos GF and a Lions GF, I would choose the Lions without thinking twice as well because it is such a better game live. The NRL is probably better on tv than live.
Agree on most of this, although I'd rather go to a Broncos grand final, and I support Hawthorn. I much prefer AFL live, I have tried for many years to get old mate to a game, we did go to one at the MCG and he really enjoyed it. I struggle to watch AFL on tv though, I'll watch the first and the last quarter lol. His bff is a Pies supporter so Friday night will be a lot of fun for them.

How amazing that QLD got the AFL Grand Final! I can't believe it didn't go to Perth. The Gabba is so out dated, and Brisbane is still a League town. I'd love to know what Anastasia promised them to get it.

Which ties into this thread. Vlandys and co should be shitting themselves that the AFL GF is coming to QLD, compounded by all 3 QLD teams being complete failures this year. They're gonna lose some of their foothold easily.

Agree on most of this, although I'd rather go to a Broncos grand final, and I support Hawthorn. I much prefer AFL live, I have tried for many years to get old mate to a game, we did go to one at the MCG and he really enjoyed it. I struggle to watch AFL on tv though, I'll watch the first and the last quarter lol. His bff is a Pies supporter so Friday night will be a lot of fun for them.

How amazing that QLD got the AFL Grand Final! I can't believe it didn't go to Perth. The Gabba is so out dated, and Brisbane is still a League town. I'd love to know what Anastasia promised them to get it.

Which ties into this thread. Vlandys and co should be shitting themselves that the AFL GF is coming to QLD, compounded by all 3 QLD teams being complete failures this year. They're gonna lose some of their foothold easily.

For sure. I am and always will be a fan of the Broncos but I tell you what, I am not marking their games in my calendar. The Lions on the other hand, I can't wait for their game to come around each week. It isn't even because the Broncos are losing, it is because they are getting absolutely belted every week, who wants to watch that?

AFL is a great game, especially live, TV doesn't do it justice. I was the same as most where I wasn't into AFL at all but a went to my first live game 5 years ago and it completely changed my mind.

AFL is a great game, especially live, TV doesn't do it justice. I was the same as most where I wasn't into AFL at all but a went to my first live game 5 years ago and it completely changed my mind.
It's all a matter of opinion, and taste.
I'm born and bred Adelaide, grew up treating AFL as a religion (my whole family still does) and I cannot stand the sport now.
There is just nothing entertaining about it - for me.
The problem with the game is that the basic rules and aims are simply not difficult.
The main aim is to kick a goal. How do you do that? Just kick a ball between to posts. Ah yes, but it's much harder because someone can be there trying to stop it. Actually, no problem, just kick it over their heads.
And don't get me started on marking the ball.....if you catch it, nobody can touch you....WTF?
The entire game is just too scrappy and lacks structure.
You can seriously re-create a game of AFL by throwing a hot chip to a pack of seagulls - it's the same spectacle.
The only way AFL is tolerable and moderately exciting is if you have an emotional investment in a particular team.

No offense, but that sounds a little racist, even though I know what you mean.

What I hope they meant was that it should be QLD vs NSW - not opening it up to lose that real spite we have.

It's all a matter of opinion, and taste.
I'm born and bred Adelaide, grew up treating AFL as a religion (my whole family still does) and I cannot stand the sport now.
There is just nothing entertaining about it - for me.
The problem with the game is that the basic rules and aims are simply not difficult.
The main aim is to kick a goal. How do you do that? Just kick a ball between to posts. Ah yes, but it's much harder because someone can be there trying to stop it. Actually, no problem, just kick it over their heads.
And don't get me started on marking the ball.....if you catch it, nobody can touch you....WTF?
The entire game is just too scrappy and lacks structure.
You can seriously re-create a game of AFL by throwing a hot chip to a pack of seagulls - it's the same spectacle.
The only way AFL is tolerable and moderately exciting is if you have an emotional investment in a particular team.

Hahaha the seagull analogy is excellent! It really is fumble ball. I'm now playing AFL and it is fun when you understand it, but NRL is still better for mine, too. Sounds like you would prefer to watch Gaelic Football or Hurling if you're bothered by the mark stopping the game. Those Irish lads really set a standard. Amateur sportsmen who still give everything in a game and do it out of pride. They don't go to other teams for a huge paycheck, because there isn't one. They play hard because they have a lot of younger blokes pushing for their spot, wanting to play for their county. If you're not up to scratch, you'll lose your spot to Johnny come lately. The only negative is that bigger or richer counties often have the advantage of more options.

Omg really. I meant non Australians. Which I guess is technically racist. Happy to have any islander, african, asian, or whoever represent origin as long as they're Australian and play for Australia. Exhibit A: Petero Civoniceva.

Omg really. I meant non Australians. Which I guess is technically racist. Happy to have any islander, african, asian, or whoever represent origin as long as they're Australian and play for Australia. Exhibit A: Petero Civoniceva.
Most of the Islanders are Australian anyway, the point of it is State of Origin isn't a trial to make the Kangaroos, State of Origin is the Pinnicle of the sport.

I'm Fine with players who did their junior rugby league in NSW or QLD joining in as that is the only requirement anyway, they shouldn't have to commit to the Kangaroos so they can Help the international game as well.

Tony Carroll did it, so should anyone else.

Last edited:
Haha it was just the way it was written was awkward to save time. For example, what if the player came from England?
Most of the Islanders are Australian anyway, the point of it is State of Origin isn't a trial to make the Kangaroos, State of Origin is the Pinnicle of the sport.

I'm Fine with players who did their junior rugby league in NSW or QLD joining in as that is the only requirement anyway, they shouldn't have to commit to the Kangaroos so they can Help the international game as well.

Tony Carroll did it, so should anyone else.
Yeah, I like opening the game up for things like this, but with the number of international players capable of forming their own teams (e.g. Tonga, Samoa, NZ) I think having SOO being a birth right or first club thing is enough and then you open the game up for exhibition matches, QLD vs Tonga. That being said the SOO rivalry has lost its sheen for me. No more biff, not enough passion. The removal of the biff and the QLD dominion for so long just took something of the magic away for me.

V'landys is whinging about the AFL (due to them hosting this years GF at the Gabba)

talking about how the AFL are never going to become the number 1 sport in the state ... yadda yadda yadda

I got news for you Vlandy's ... you and the NRL have been taking QLD for granted for years ... BE CAREFUL

if anyone cares, here is what he said:

“They can huff and puff but they will never blow the house down because it’s solid brick,” he said.

“Our supporters are solid, they’re not straw. They can blow all they like but they won’t blow the brick wall down. Our rugby league supporters are strong, to say the least.

“All the huffing and puffing they are doing is not a concern.

“Queensland is part and parcel of rugby league. We’ve got the left arm in New South Wales and the right arm in Queensland. It’s a vital part of our game.

“Queensland is not just Brisbane. It’s from right up the top to the bottom.

“They can huff and puff and keep blowing but the brick house will stand.”

Vlandy's talks about the AFL GF being in Brisbane:

“It’s not of concern to us, good luck to the Queensland Government,” he said.

“It’s a one-off situation. It’s not going to translate.

“It’s like feeding meat to a vegetarian. The vegetarian might try it for a few minutes but then goes back to being a vegetarian.”

Talks about a turf war

“The AFL can steal whatever databases they want,” he said.

“It’s a flash in the pan. The AFL will never have another grand final in Queensland ever again.

“Who cares? Queensland is rugby league heartland. As if some Cowboys fan in Cairns is going to start following the Brisbane Lions? I don’t think so.

“The AFL can sell meat but the vegetarians won’t eat it.”

V'landys is whinging about the AFL (due to them hosting this years GF at the Gabba)

talking about how the AFL are never going to become the number 1 sport in the state ... yadda yadda yadda

I got news for you Vlandy's ... you and the NRL have been taking QLD for granted for years ... BE CAREFUL

if anyone cares, here is what he said:

“They can huff and puff but they will never blow the house down because it’s solid brick,” he said.

“Our supporters are solid, they’re not straw. They can blow all they like but they won’t blow the brick wall down. Our rugby league supporters are strong, to say the least.

“All the huffing and puffing they are doing is not a concern.

“Queensland is part and parcel of rugby league. We’ve got the left arm in New South Wales and the right arm in Queensland. It’s a vital part of our game.

“Queensland is not just Brisbane. It’s from right up the top to the bottom.

“They can huff and puff and keep blowing but the brick house will stand.”

Vlandy's talks about the AFL GF being in Brisbane:

“It’s not of concern to us, good luck to the Queensland Government,” he said.

“It’s a one-off situation. It’s not going to translate.

“It’s like feeding meat to a vegetarian. The vegetarian might try it for a few minutes but then goes back to being a vegetarian.”

Talks about a turf war

“The AFL can steal whatever databases they want,” he said.

“It’s a flash in the pan. The AFL will never have another grand final in Queensland ever again.

“Who cares? Queensland is rugby league heartland. As if some Cowboys fan in Cairns is going to start following the Brisbane Lions? I don’t think so.

“The AFL can sell meat but the vegetarians won’t eat it.”
I love rugby league.
The NswRL have to realise THEY ARE NOT THE FUCKING OWNERS OF IT. The arrogance and contempt for Queensland that nsw has worked to build up origin and rivalry with the Broncos in the fucking 80s. This is 2020!!!!

I've said it 100s of times, but ffs this game would be so much better off now if super league won. I have no doubt about it

I'm jack of this clown just forcing whatever random breakfast thought he had through straight away. The 6 again and one ref thing was bad enough. Origin was good the way it was, that's not to say there's no way to improve it but I trust V'Landys about as far as I can throw him.
Origin breaking up the season sucks.

How many times has it ruined our seasons. Conveniently this year we are too shit to take advantage of it.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.