V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So ‘no-one knows anything about it’ with respect to the media deal, but you do know he sold it short?
I don't think I said I 'know', I think I said it 'seems'. But hey, if you are happy with the job he's doing and the direction the sport is heading, that's fine. I'm just putting forward the question, I don't know why he is seen in such all-round positive light other than getting the game re-started two or three weeks before the AFL and after the EPL.

The Strapper

NRL Player
i must admit, ive always been partial to a dela whihc sees the NRL streaming games every week itself. See NBA, NFL etc..

Or sell the rights to Amazon prime or Stan etc....

Maybe one day....streaming live sports the future...
The NRL should at least do a business case for it to stream all its games each week and see where that lands.
If it looks any sort of realistic chance of paying off they should piss Chanel Nein off straight away.

Caniffe

NRL Player
That was always going to happen COVID or not. Public tv is no longer the single choice of entertainment like it once was!

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
That was always going to happen COVID or not. Public tv is no longer the single choice of entertainment like it once was!
No but streaming is on the up. Dave Smith and Greenburg were setting up the NRL towards owning and producing its own content in-house instead of just selling it off to Fox and Nein on the cheap. Wonder if that's why V'Landys took Greenburg's scalp so quickly.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Which is because the NRL negotiated from a position of weakness ... negotiations, that actually didn't have to take place because the old TV rights deal still had 2-3 years left to run
Which is my point, he has made a number of questionable to bad decisions and not a peep out of the media.

kooly87

NRL Player
I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the Sydney-centric fans who have been in a non stop V'Landys circlejerk for the last 9 months once they realise he's sold short the TV rights to buy non stop positive press for his own profile, and suddenly the game doesn't have the money any more to prop up their struggling clubs and then forced relocations or mergers/folding become the order of the day.

The Strapper

NRL Player
I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the Sydney-centric fans who have been in a non stop V'Landys circlejerk for the last 9 months once they realise he's sold short the TV rights to buy non stop positive press for his own profile, and suddenly the game doesn't have the money any more to prop up their struggling clubs and then forced relocations or mergers/folding become the order of the day.
Selling the TV rights for a discount to buy good press for himself was bad.
Forced relocations or mergers of sydney clubs would be good.

NRL Player
I dont know how some people can be critical of the deal. The game was left with literally nothing in the bank and hence no financial insurance against the season if covid went the wrong way. The game would have been broke with nothing to lend against and owing money to old deal, and they were in breach of the old deal with a shortened season and origin being moved.

Renegotiating to keep the dollars coming in was the best and only insurance they had?!

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Renegotiating to keep the dollars coming in was the best and only insurance they had?!
I think we all understand that renegotiating was necessary, the problem is tho that the new deal details have all been kept very quiet, the NRL preach to us about transparency but have gone out of their way to keep this deal quiet.

There was also a very clear and intentional change in the way the Fox reported on both Vlandys and the NRL at the time the new deal was struck. Something fishy has gone down and we are right to be concerned over what the new deal is.

kooly87

NRL Player
I think we all understand that renegotiating was necessary, the problem is tho that the new deal details have all been kept very quiet, the NRL preach to us about transparency but have gone out of their way to keep this deal quiet.

There was also a very clear and intentional change in the way the Fox reported on both Vlandys and the NRL at the time the new deal was struck. Something fishy has gone down and we are right to be concerned over what the new deal is.
Correct, Greenburg left and instantly all the NRL incompetence and problems which Fox had been wailing against for two decades apparently vanished without a trace overnight the moment V'Landys stepped in.

Fox have hardly written an inch of column space or a produced a minute of air time that hasn't been glowing in praise for V'Landys and the NRL heirachy since that very moment. If that doesn't strike you as incredibly odd at best, and downright cloak and dagger at worst, then you honestly need to get out in the real world a little more.

Last edited:

john1420

NRL Player
Correct, Greenburg left and instantly all the NRL incompetence and problems which Fox had been wailing against for two decades apparently vanished without a trace overnight the moment V'Landys stepped in.

Fox have hardly written an inch of column space or a produced a minute of air time that hasn't been glowing in praise for V'Landys and the NRL heirachy since that very moment. If that doesn't strike you as incredibly odd at best, and downright cloak and dagger at worst, then you honestly need to get out in the real world a little more.
Although to be fair, Greenburg was a very large part of the NRL's incompetence........
But I'm not arguing, V'Landys decisions worry me, he seems a bit slimy, and the changes he is making don't fill me with confidence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.