V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

He's more than just a guy who gives them a good deal, V'Landys was Fox's man from before he started. They were pushing hard for him a couple of years ago too. The entire league was sold off for cents in the dollar and most people didn't notice or care because Matty Johns kept showing that clip of Peter Beattie not recognising some soccer jersey which obviously means he doesn't know about the NRL.
The fans are no closer to owning and being in control of the game today under an independent commission than they were back when News Ltd just owned the thing outright. Sure, it may look independent on the surface, but Fox are still in control of basically every lever and button that is pushed or pulled in the game and it's just a shame the majority of the fans are too naive to tell the difference.

It couldn't be simpler. He increases media company profits by short changing the NRL, in return they praise the shit he poops out to present a good image for him. Why wouldn't you want to keep the guy that gives you a good deal in the job.

Is he the Anthony Seibold of NRL admin? He talks a good game but is extremely unlikable and the proof will eventually come through no matter how much he tries to sugarcoat himself?

For all the smoke that get blown up this guy’s butt and how great a job he’s doing as pontificated by the media, what has he ACTUALLY done to make the game better? Serious question because here is what I can see:

- Seems to have sold the game short on the next media deal which no one knows any details about but reduced salary caps, etc being spoken about implies it is a reduced deal
- Re-introduced one ref and the inherent inconsistency that comes with that
- Introduced a six again rule on the eve of a competition re-start which has seemingly produced a fairly boring product and heaps of extra long-term injuries
- Offended half the fan haze by insulting Qlders
- Allowed the Roosters to sign a superstar that other teams could have paid more for and dismissed suggestions of favouritism
- Even more inconsistency at the judiciary
- A blanket crushed tackle ban with no room for common sense
- Delivering an inferior product
- TV ratings going down alarmingly despite a virus situation where people should be flocking to the game on tv in droves
- Ignoring the very real threat from the AFL in its strongest market - Qld

And yet the media continues to sing his praises at a nauseating level. What am I missing? He seems to be doing an awful job.

Kept the entire game alive, when the premiers of Qld and NsW wanted to kill it?

So, there’s that...

And yet the media continues to sing his praises at a nauseating level. What am I missing? He seems to be doing an awful job.

- Seems to have sold the game short on the next media deal which no one knows any details about but reduced salary caps, etc being spoken about implies it is a reduced deal

I think you're being a touch dramatic.

Probably but I don't think I've raised any points that aren't true and I really have big question marks over this guy and the media's willingness to praise him left, right and centre given their relentless bagging of all things NRL.

Its hard to tell, Under Greenberg it looked like he pissed off the bosses at Channel 9 to the point they didn't want to continue broadcasting, a new TV deal had to be negociated and some think the last TV deal was a bit over valued so they had less room to negociate especially considering the NRL was months away from being broke if they didn't sign something and they where in the middle of the season.

I think all things considering with the TV deal he did a good job because he didn't have any power in the negociation room considering they had no time to find more bidders to milk them for more money.

Everything else he has done though it's hard to argue that it's been fully positive, the 6 again rule was a very stupid rule to put in mid season, however I do agree with the one referee(with two the game was slower and ref **** ups were about the same).

He should be using Covid to tear up the NSW exclusivity deal for the grand final which is incredibly short sighted for the game and can hurt it massively long term, IMO this is one of the most important things the NRL has to grow the game as they can have it hosted in Cities they want to expand to, with a guarantee of a full stadium.

I personally think Rugby league would be better off in this country if the NRL collapses and goes bankrupt then continue down the path of more then half the league being in sydney with a sydney grand final every year.

The game can survive with a new administration, however it wont with short term decisions that keep bleeding the game dry.

Last edited:
And don’t forget the self proclaimed ‘wE aRe ThE sPoRtiNg CaPitAl of tHe WoRLd!’ line sprouted ad nauseam at any given opportunity.

Not content with self proclaiming the sporting capital of Australia, somehow they have claimed global status despite not one country given 2 ***** about Aussie Rules outside of Australia.

To this day I honestly don’t know why they have this massive chip on their shoulders that exists and why they feel the need to seek assurances from strangers interstate to feed their ego. I am assuming it’s a culture thing? They must be dying inside that the Gabba of all places is hosting their showpiece event.

Maybe for a laugh they can try and reignite their version of State of Origin again [emoji23]

Imagine being the self proclaimed greatest state in Australia yet not being able to leave your own bloody house whilst the rest of the country is living their lives.
Hmm having been to both Melbourne and Sydney I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Melbourne is the superior sports city. The fact you can walk to any of multiple world class stadium’s from the CBD, have a 5star meal, amazing shopping....it’s epic. Wanna go to the beach at st kilda, jump on a tram. It’s people are also mostly friendly and happy to point you in the right direction and are rightly proud of their city. The only draw back is the weather, the antarctic wind can F off. Sydney on the other hand is a f’ing mission to get to a sports ground. The harbour is spectacular and that’s about it. The people (even the ones you’re paying to serve you) are total assholes and full of their own self importance. If you want a nice meal it will cost you an arm and a leg. The public transport is abhorrent.

Brisbane is somewhere in the middle of these 2 cities, not as good as Melbourne, considerably better than Sydney.

Last edited:
For all the smoke that get blown up this guy’s butt and how great a job he’s doing as pontificated by the media, what has he ACTUALLY done to make the game better? Serious question because here is what I can see:

- Re-introduced one ref and the inherent inconsistency that comes with that
- Introduced a six again rule on the eve of a competition re-start which has seemingly produced a fairly boring product and heaps of extra long-term injuries
- Offended half the fan haze by insulting Qlders
- Allowed the Roosters to sign a superstar that other teams could have paid more for and dismissed suggestions of favouritism
- Even more inconsistency at the judiciary
- A blanket crushed tackle ban with no room for common sense
- Delivering an inferior product
- TV ratings going down alarmingly despite a virus situation where people should be flocking to the game on tv in droves
- Ignoring the very real threat from the AFL in its strongest market - Qld

Easy to get praise if you pay the right guys in the right areas to write good articles and praise yourself. Deep down he is just as corrupt as Racing is in every sense and only really looks after his own back pocket. He has sold our game out to his media buddies and cut costs at every corner to try and sell it to us that its all covids fault. The sooner he is out of the game the better. And for those saying he got us playing again, any person in that job would have done so. All competitions have resumed already so he is hardly the only person who could have done it. Hell for all his praise about the warriors and he has even fucked them over with not paying for their families to come over, pissing their major sponsor off who has had an association with them for like 20 years and Telstra seemingly hasn't had a problem with them in the past when they have sponsored the comp

i must admit, ive always been partial to a dela whihc sees the NRL streaming games every week itself. See NBA, NFL etc..

Or sell the rights to Amazon prime or Stan etc....

Maybe one day....streaming live sports the future...

I will probably get laughed at for this, but dave Smith was the best CEO we had. By a far margin. His one problem was he took on news limited, they chased him put after that. They hounded him worse then what seibold got and his worst crime was he looked to other avenues for tv revenue.

So ‘no-one knows anything about it’ with respect to the media deal, but you do know he sold it short?

I don't think I said I 'know', I think I said it 'seems'. But hey, if you are happy with the job he's doing and the direction the sport is heading, that's fine. I'm just putting forward the question, I don't know why he is seen in such all-round positive light other than getting the game re-started two or three weeks before the AFL and after the EPL.

i must admit, ive always been partial to a dela whihc sees the NRL streaming games every week itself. See NBA, NFL etc..

Or sell the rights to Amazon prime or Stan etc....

Maybe one day....streaming live sports the future...

The NRL should at least do a business case for it to stream all its games each week and see where that lands.
If it looks any sort of realistic chance of paying off they should piss Chanel Nein off straight away.

That was always going to happen COVID or not. Public tv is no longer the single choice of entertainment like it once was!

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.