V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Player
Oct 13, 2014
Found this of genuine interest when i read it; keen to hear others thoughts...

From the Zero tackle website;

"ARLC boss Peter V’landys has suggested the post-season slot for State of Origin could become a permanent fixture in the NRL season, with the series’ eligibility rules also facing a potential reform, per Channel Nine.

The 2020 Origin series is et to take off on November 4, with all three matches being played in November following the ongoing effects of COVID-19.

While the revised fixture is set to aid the NRL’s fixture this year, V’landys backed the new-look league calendar for the future.

“It’s an interesting experiment to experiment this year to play State of Origin after the season because it ensured the integrity of the game throughout the year,” V’landys said on Channel Nine’s 100% Footy."

rest of the articles here;
https://www.zerotackle.com/end-of-s...-permanent-fixture-on-nrl-calendar-nrl-73719/

the part about Ploynesian players should not have to choose between Origin (and therefore Australia) and their nation of birth is, to my ears, brilliant commen sense the likes of which the league has been incapable/unwilling to consider...

Peter V'landys for President if he gets this up....

The game both here and in the Pacific region is seemingly in good hands, and i for one am delighted...

I'm jack of this clown just forcing whatever random breakfast thought he had through straight away. The 6 again and one ref thing was bad enough. Origin was good the way it was, that's not to say there's no way to improve it but I trust V'Landys about as far as I can throw him.

This bloke is a moron... he is ripping and tearing rules and structures apart which don't require any changing just for the sake of it.

The 6 again rule is, in my opinion, the worst thing to happen to rugby league since I began watching in mid 90s.
One ref is equally stupid.
The captain's challenge is so-so, but useless when considering how poor the video refereeing is AND the tendency to not overturn the on-field ruling despite how much video evidence there is.
Yes, the refs boss now comes out and admits when they get things wrong and decisions were incorrect - but that hasn't actually resulted in any changes or improvement to refereeing.

If you want to change something, why not look at the ridiculous forward pass rule - if a ball travels forward, regardless of whether it came out of the hand backwards - it is a forward pass. Neat, elegant, simple solution that takes out all the grey area and guessing and rubbish - easy to understand and rule on.
Why not look at the stripping rule - I don't care how many players in the tackle, put the onus on the ball carrier to protect the ball... Suddenly you've eliminated all the grey area - if a ball is lost in a tackle its a knock on... Simple.

Origin doesn't need to be changed to the end of the year - all you're doing is reducing the pool of available players, as more injuries accumulate over the year and playing the series when some players have had a big holiday (if their team misses finals) and others are mentally and physically battered and exhausted (after a gruelling finals run). Either way it also cuts into the rest period players have post-season (which is already short enough).

Nor does origin require a bunch of Kiwis / Pacific Islanders running around. It's an Australian spectacle ... state of origin. A kiwi who wants to play for NZ over Australia shouldn't be eligible to trot out in a QLD jersey just because he played a game of footy there when he was 10. It's ridiculous.

This bloke talks the talk, and props to him for getting the comp going this year in uncertain times, but for all his hooting and hollering there has been BULK unnecessary changes which have made the game WORSE, and all he wants to do is continue to turn Rugby League into a touch football / Nines type TV entertainment product akin more to WWE than football. There's lots of positive changes he could have made and he's made none... everything he's looking to switch is a waste of time and totally unnecessary or making the game worse.

/ rant

Last edited:
Rule changes should always be tested in trial matches in the pre-season with no exceptions. Introducing the 6 again rule in Round 3 was a boneheaded, knee jerk move that basically invalidated the entire 2020 season in my eyes, and COVID was already going a long way to achieving that on its own at the time. The rule change and one referee were just the final nails in the coffin, and honestly I would be of that belief even if the Broncos were about to win the minor premiership.

It will be another Melbourne vs. somebody Grand Final, Melbourne will win, nobody will give a shit and 2020 will become just another forgotten year of **** ups and failed experiments.

Last edited:
the part about Ploynesian players should not have to choose between Origin (and therefore Australia) and their nation of birth is, to my ears, brilliant commen sense the likes of which the league has been incapable/unwilling to consider...

Peter V'landys for President if he gets this up....

The game both here and in the Pacific region is seemingly in good hands, and i for one am delighted...
One step forwards two steps backwards with Vlandys, his 6 again rule changes and the like are the worst.

Last edited:
[
This bloke is a moron... he is ripping and tearing rules and structures apart which don't require any changing just for the sake of it.

The 6 again rule is, in my opinion, the worst thing to happen to rugby league since I began watching in mid 90s.
One ref is equally stupid.
The captain's challenge is so-so, but useless when considering how poor the video refereeing is AND the tendency to not overturn the on-field ruling despite how much video evidence there is.
Yes, the refs boss now comes out and admits when they get things wrong and decisions were incorrect - but that hasn't actually resulted in any changes or improvement to refereeing.

If you want to change something, why not look at the ridiculous forward pass rule - if a ball travels forward, regardless of whether it came out of the hand backwards - it is a forward pass. Neat, elegant, simple solution that takes out all the grey area and guessing and rubbish - easy to understand and rule on.
Why not look at the stripping rule - I don't care how many players in the tackle, put the onus on the ball carrier to protect the ball... Suddenly you've eliminated all the grey area - if a ball is lost in a tackle its a knock on... Simple.

Origin doesn't need to be changed to the end of the year - all you're doing is reducing the pool of available players, as more injuries accumulate over the year and playing the series when some players have had a big holiday (if their team misses finals) and others are mentally and physically battered and exhausted (after a gruelling finals run). Either way it also cuts into the rest period players have post-season (which is already short enough).

Nor does origin require a bunch of Kiwis / Pacific Islanders running around. It's an Australian spectacle ... state of origin. A kiwi who wants to play for NZ over Australia shouldn't be eligible to trot out in a QLD jersey just because he played a game of footy there when he was 10. It's ridiculous.

This bloke talks the talk, and props to him for getting the comp going this year in uncertain times, but for all his hooting and hollering there has been BULK unnecessary changes which have made the game WORSE, and all he wants to do is continue to turn Rugby League into a touch football / Nines type TV entertainment product akin more to WWE than football. There's lots of positive changes he could have made and he's made none... everything he's looking to switch is a waste of time and totally unnecessary or making the game worse.

/ rant

ah...yes so....the myopic view on the game has done the English Super League so well hasn't it...

Youll get no arguments form me on the referee bullshit....my line of thought is the willingness to get this stuff out to debate....the days of Australia being the centre of the RL universe....have to end..

Unique times calls for unique solutions.....lets talk about this....don't accept it all at face value but......don't stick our heads in the sand and think..."She'll be right mate"....

Found this of genuine interest when i read it; keen to hear others thoughts...

From the Zero tackle website;

"ARLC boss Peter V’landys has suggested the post-season slot for State of Origin could become a permanent fixture in the NRL season, with the series’ eligibility rules also facing a potential reform, per Channel Nine.

The 2020 Origin series is et to take off on November 4, with all three matches being played in November following the ongoing effects of COVID-19.

While the revised fixture is set to aid the NRL’s fixture this year, V’landys backed the new-look league calendar for the future.

“It’s an interesting experiment to experiment this year to play State of Origin after the season because it ensured the integrity of the game throughout the year,” V’landys said on Channel Nine’s 100% Footy."

rest of the articles here;
https://www.zerotackle.com/end-of-s...-permanent-fixture-on-nrl-calendar-nrl-73719/
I thought this part of the conversation was much more important. The fox/Sydney message boy has finally realised his Sydney bubble will only get smaller without the QLD, and more importantly, the Broncos.
I don't care who become CEO and coach as long as they fucking ram this shit home, repetively..

V'landys reveals alarming domino effect of Queensland's poor NRL showing as AFL makes inroads in Sunshine State
By George Vlotis

Play Video
V'landys 'concerned' with state of rugby league in QLD
1 / 20><
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says the NRL is "very concerned" about the state of rugby league in Queensland as AFL begins to stake a foothold in the Sunshine State.

It's been a grim season for rugby league in Queensland with the state's three franchises languishing at the bottom of the ladder with the Bulldogs.

At the centre of the downturn is undeniably the Brisbane Broncos' infamous season from hell which has seen the once esteemed franchise dragged through the mud in a torrid year for fans.

With the Cowboys and Titans not faring much better, V'landys revealed viewers up north had begun to tune-out as their teams' seasons had waned on, causing ratings to take a dip in the Sunshine State.

Patrick Carrigan of the Broncos reacts after losing the round 16 NRL match against the Sydney Roosters. (Getty)
It's just the first ripple in perhaps a wider domino effect that a weakened Queensland system could have on the wider game, and V'Landys insisted it needed to be fixed, and fast.

"Look, we're very concerned because we need a strong Broncos," V'landys told Nine's 100% Footy. "We need a real leading team in Queensland because that's our second biggest market after NSW.

"We make all our money from the broadcast revenues and both broadcasters ironically fought after who would have the Brisbane games because they've always been the higher rating games.

"The fact that they've performed poorly, the ratings are poor, and that makes it hard for us to renegotiate broadcast deals. Without broadcast, there is no game in its current form and I can't stress enough how important those dollars are to the game of rugby league.

[

ah...yes so....the myopic view on the game has done the English Super League so well hasn't it...

Youll get no arguments form me on the referee bullshit....my line of thought is the willingness to get this stuff out to debate....the days of Australia being the centre of the RL universe....have to end..

Unique times calls for unique solutions.....lets talk about this....don't accept it all at face value but......don't stick our heads in the sand and think..."She'll be right mate"....

I don't think there's anybody (including me) who would argue that the NRL doesn't have to make some changes and move with the times and look to continue to actively develop the game - this sort of initiative is definitely required.

BUT, V'landys is a media-pandering puppet whose knee-jerk reactions and rule changes which benefit and prioritise TV ratings over the game itself is not taking the sort of steps or making the decisions that will help keep this great game relevant.

He's turning the whole thing into a Gen-Z style carnival - MORE star players! MORE points! MORE TV ratings!!! Introducing and changing rules which don't need changing at the drop of a hat without any thought or consideration or testing.

The average number of favourites who win in a week vs underdogs has been ~5 on average for the last 5 years... (5 faves win each week, 3 underdogs win). Very stable. This year it has suddenly jumped to 6. Average winning margins have almost doubled and the incidence of 13+ margin games has also skyrocketed. Add to that the fact that the casualty list across the league is miles higher than the average and the disparity between the few good sides and large number of bad sides is the widest it has ever been - V'landy's changes have failed miserably in trying to produce a better on-field product.

Hopefully this year was just a big experiment by the NRL and next year we see some of this rubbish 'innovation' scrapped in favour of some more well-thought out and gradually implemented changes.

Last edited:
I thought this part of the conversation was much more important. The fox/Sydney message boy has finally realised his Sydney bubble will only get smaller without the QLD, and more importantly, the Broncos.
I don't care who become CEO and coach as long as they fucking ram this shit home, repetively..

V'landys reveals alarming domino effect of Queensland's poor NRL showing as AFL makes inroads in Sunshine State
By George Vlotis

Play Video
1 / 20><
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says the NRL is "very concerned" about the state of rugby league in Queensland as AFL begins to stake a foothold in the Sunshine State.

It's been a grim season for rugby league in Queensland with the state's three franchises languishing at the bottom of the ladder with the Bulldogs.

At the centre of the downturn is undeniably the Brisbane Broncos' infamous season from hell which has seen the once esteemed franchise dragged through the mud in a torrid year for fans.

With the Cowboys and Titans not faring much better, V'landys revealed viewers up north had begun to tune-out as their teams' seasons had waned on, causing ratings to take a dip in the Sunshine State.

Patrick Carrigan of the Broncos reacts after losing the round 16 NRL match against the Sydney Roosters. (Getty)
It's just the first ripple in perhaps a wider domino effect that a weakened Queensland system could have on the wider game, and V'Landys insisted it needed to be fixed, and fast.

"Look, we're very concerned because we need a strong Broncos," V'landys told Nine's 100% Footy. "We need a real leading team in Queensland because that's our second biggest market after NSW.

"We make all our money from the broadcast revenues and both broadcasters ironically fought after who would have the Brisbane games because they've always been the higher rating games.

"The fact that they've performed poorly, the ratings are poor, and that makes it hard for us to renegotiate broadcast deals. Without broadcast, there is no game in its current form and I can't stress enough how important those dollars are to the game of rugby league.
Basically saying that us bronx fans have carried the rest of these flops in NSWRL and NRL for that matter. So without the Bronx we can say at least 4 Sydney teams wouldn’t exist.

I don't mind some of these changes, I don't even mind the 6 again rule but you can't just bring them in AFTER the season has started, they need to be announced well in advance so teams have time to ready themselves for it.

The 6-again was Annesley's brain child wasn't it? Admittedly Vlandys is the guy that makes the calls on these things and he has been all too happy to accept the kudos for it.

I will say I'm at odds with most Broncos fans in that I like the 6-again change; at least how it is enforced now, as opposed to the initial nonsense which was reminiscent to the penalties crackdown of a few years ago.

By George Vlotis

Play Video
1 / 20>ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says the NRL is "very concerned" about the state of rugby league in Queensland as AFL begins to stake a foothold in the Sunshine State.

In the near future watch as the Broncos make a miracle turnaround after receiving innumerable 6-again calls in the first 20 minutes. Then the NSW fans will hate the rule. Brisbane team 2 will enter and all of a sudden the games between the 2 teams will be 1 point nail-biters. Huge fan numbers to games and TV ratings. All manipulated by the NRL.

V'landys is a bookie who was smart enough to get behind the curtain.

In the near future watch as the Broncos make a miracle turnaround after receiving innumerable 6-again calls in the first 20 minutes. Then the NSW fans will hate the rule. Brisbane team 2 will enter and all of a sudden the games between the 2 teams will be 1 point nail-biters. Huge fan numbers to games and TV ratings. All manipulated by the NRL.

V'landys is a bookie who was smart enough to get behind the curtain.
So you're telling me Green will walk out of cowboys where he had preferential treatment into a Broncos team that may get preferential treatment for the first time in its existence.

Does the guy shit lucky charms as well???

So you're telling me Green will walk out of cowboys where he had preferential treatment into a Broncos team that may get preferential treatment for the first time in its existence.

Does the guy shit lucky charms as well???
Could be the case, indeed. I hope you're not basing this off Buzz's report from NRL 360. They just love making news out of thin air. Kevvie up, Green down. Green up, Kevvie down. Rinse repeat.

Could be the case, indeed. I hope you're not basing this off Buzz's report from NRL 360. They just love making news out of thin air. Kevvie up, Green down. Green up, Kevvie down. Rinse repeat.
I'm on the Kevvie train [toot toot]

Ready to go full bgoat if PG15+ gets the coaching gig

....as far as i know, V'landys is only in the role short term....happy to be proven wrong but he doesnt envisage being in the role long term..?

Feels like it, doing everything and saying everything he has in a manner thats suggesting "hey if i dont get this out here ill be gone and the chance will be gone..?"

But look, he is no angel...and this bullshit about crusher tackles all of a sudden being targeted 4 weeks out from finals...this is ripe for explotation now by the more switched on teams....why introduce it now..?

Last edited:

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Midean
  • Morkel
  • Broncorob
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • westy316
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.