V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

That was always going to happen COVID or not. Public tv is no longer the single choice of entertainment like it once was!
No but streaming is on the up. Dave Smith and Greenburg were setting up the NRL towards owning and producing its own content in-house instead of just selling it off to Fox and Nein on the cheap. Wonder if that's why V'Landys took Greenburg's scalp so quickly.

On NRL360, Abdo just said the next rights deal is significantly less than the current one, rightio then.

Which is because the NRL negotiated from a position of weakness ... negotiations, that actually didn't have to take place because the old TV rights deal still had 2-3 years left to run

Last edited:
Which is because the NRL negotiated from a position of weakness ... negotiations, that actually didn't have to take place because the old TV rights deal still had 2-3 years left to run

Which is my point, he has made a number of questionable to bad decisions and not a peep out of the media.

i must admit, ive always been partial to a dela whihc sees the NRL streaming games every week itself. See NBA, NFL etc..

Or sell the rights to Amazon prime or Stan etc....

Maybe one day....streaming live sports the future...

Umm, we have that now, it's called Kayo - perhaps I am missing your point?

I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the Sydney-centric fans who have been in a non stop V'Landys circlejerk for the last 9 months once they realise he's sold short the TV rights to buy non stop positive press for his own profile, and suddenly the game doesn't have the money any more to prop up their struggling clubs and then forced relocations or mergers/folding become the order of the day.

I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the Sydney-centric fans who have been in a non stop V'Landys circlejerk for the last 9 months once they realise he's sold short the TV rights to buy non stop positive press for his own profile, and suddenly the game doesn't have the money any more to prop up their struggling clubs and then forced relocations or mergers/folding become the order of the day.
Selling the TV rights for a discount to buy good press for himself was bad.
Forced relocations or mergers of sydney clubs would be good.

I dont know how some people can be critical of the deal. The game was left with literally nothing in the bank and hence no financial insurance against the season if covid went the wrong way. The game would have been broke with nothing to lend against and owing money to old deal, and they were in breach of the old deal with a shortened season and origin being moved.

Renegotiating to keep the dollars coming in was the best and only insurance they had?!

Renegotiating to keep the dollars coming in was the best and only insurance they had?!

I think we all understand that renegotiating was necessary, the problem is tho that the new deal details have all been kept very quiet, the NRL preach to us about transparency but have gone out of their way to keep this deal quiet.

There was also a very clear and intentional change in the way the Fox reported on both Vlandys and the NRL at the time the new deal was struck. Something fishy has gone down and we are right to be concerned over what the new deal is.

I think we all understand that renegotiating was necessary, the problem is tho that the new deal details have all been kept very quiet, the NRL preach to us about transparency but have gone out of their way to keep this deal quiet.

There was also a very clear and intentional change in the way the Fox reported on both Vlandys and the NRL at the time the new deal was struck. Something fishy has gone down and we are right to be concerned over what the new deal is.
Correct, Greenburg left and instantly all the NRL incompetence and problems which Fox had been wailing against for two decades apparently vanished without a trace overnight the moment V'Landys stepped in.

Fox have hardly written an inch of column space or a produced a minute of air time that hasn't been glowing in praise for V'Landys and the NRL heirachy since that very moment. If that doesn't strike you as incredibly odd at best, and downright cloak and dagger at worst, then you honestly need to get out in the real world a little more.

Last edited:
I think Dazza 92 means that the NRL would own the streaming rights and actually broadcast the games themselves and therefore keep all the subscription money and advertising revenue themselves not on sell it to Kayo, Fox or anyone else.
I guess that would be what I missed :)

Correct, Greenburg left and instantly all the NRL incompetence and problems which Fox had been wailing against for two decades apparently vanished without a trace overnight the moment V'Landys stepped in.

Fox have hardly written an inch of column space or a produced a minute of air time that hasn't been glowing in praise for V'Landys and the NRL heirachy since that very moment. If that doesn't strike you as incredibly odd at best, and downright cloak and dagger at worst, then you honestly need to get out in the real world a little more.

Although to be fair, Greenburg was a very large part of the NRL's incompetence........
But I'm not arguing, V'Landys decisions worry me, he seems a bit slimy, and the changes he is making don't fill me with confidence.

This bloke is a moron... he is ripping and tearing rules and structures apart which don't require any changing just for the sake of it.

The 6 again rule is, in my opinion, the worst thing to happen to rugby league since I began watching in mid 90s.
One ref is equally stupid.
The captain's challenge is so-so, but useless when considering how poor the video refereeing is AND the tendency to not overturn the on-field ruling despite how much video evidence there is.
Yes, the refs boss now comes out and admits when they get things wrong and decisions were incorrect - but that hasn't actually resulted in any changes or improvement to refereeing.

If you want to change something, why not look at the ridiculous forward pass rule - if a ball travels forward, regardless of whether it came out of the hand backwards - it is a forward pass. Neat, elegant, simple solution that takes out all the grey area and guessing and rubbish - easy to understand and rule on.
Why not look at the stripping rule - I don't care how many players in the tackle, put the onus on the ball carrier to protect the ball... Suddenly you've eliminated all the grey area - if a ball is lost in a tackle its a knock on... Simple.

Origin doesn't need to be changed to the end of the year - all you're doing is reducing the pool of available players, as more injuries accumulate over the year and playing the series when some players have had a big holiday (if their team misses finals) and others are mentally and physically battered and exhausted (after a gruelling finals run). Either way it also cuts into the rest period players have post-season (which is already short enough).

Nor does origin require a bunch of Kiwis / Pacific Islanders running around. It's an Australian spectacle ... state of origin. A kiwi who wants to play for NZ over Australia shouldn't be eligible to trot out in a QLD jersey just because he played a game of footy there when he was 10. It's ridiculous.

This bloke talks the talk, and props to him for getting the comp going this year in uncertain times, but for all his hooting and hollering there has been BULK unnecessary changes which have made the game WORSE, and all he wants to do is continue to turn Rugby League into a touch football / Nines type TV entertainment product akin more to WWE than football. There's lots of positive changes he could have made and he's made none... everything he's looking to switch is a waste of time and totally unnecessary or making the game worse.

/ rant
I am glad your not running the game.

6 again is fine, reduces wrestles and increases the speed of the game, both good things.
One ref is fine, the trade of being the ref might miss some things, but the big thing is an improvement in consistency, you dont have different tens, different ruck speeds etc etc, when one side can get hammered by having a funny ref for a longer period of time.
WWE is famous for planning winners or losers for ratings and narrative, if the NRL was going down that path, the Broncos would not be where they are.

6 again is fine, reduces wrestles and increases the speed of the game, both good things.
One ref is fine, the trade of being the ref might miss some things, but the big thing is an improvement in consistency, you dont have different tens, different ruck speeds etc etc, when one side can get hammered by having a funny ref for a longer period of time.
WWE is famous for planning winners or losers for ratings and narrative, if the NRL was going down that path, the Broncos would not be where they are.
I think you'd have a really hard time demonstrating that the wrestle has been affected at all by the 6-again rule. I say this as probably the only Bronco fan here that's a fan of the rule - its only value is that it reduces the amount of stoppages in a game.

I think you'd have a really hard time demonstrating that the wrestle has been affected at all by the 6-again rule. I say this as probably the only Bronco fan here that's a fan of the rule - its only value is that it reduces the amount of stoppages in a game.
when the refs call them early in the match and often the games usually quite fast.

but if the refs don't, then the game devolves into what it always is.

Maybe you should take your green eyed glasses off , the NRL is driven by NSW not Rupert. You think that we get favors than you're fucking blind.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.