NEWS Wally Lewis Diagnosed with Dementia and Probable CTE

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa50ab3f6-d818-43ef-9995-a828fce26d26

This will lead to significant debate for the future of contact sport. There aren't any bigger names than Wally.

The way he speaks on the Qld footy show was hinting to me something was up .
Talks like an Oxford lecturer . Big words and strange phrasing .

He also has epilepsy which can be related to brain injuries .

I'm curious if it'll affect players like Dallas Johnson as well, who didn't necessarily get too many head knocks, but hit harder in defence than their size should have really allowed them to, over and over. There would be some real acceleration changes on his brain too.

I'm curious if it'll affect players like Dallas Johnson as well, who didn't necessarily get too many head knocks, but hit harder in defence than their size should have really allowed them to, over and over. There would be some real acceleration changes on his brain too.

He was one I was thinking about. I still remember him being slumped over in origin and then being back out there playing like 5 minutes later.

The way the rules are now around it should make a difference but the decades between Wally's era and before the NRL started to do something about it means there will be plenty more, Carl Webb has MND and one of the worst effected by head knocks I can recall especially since he didn't even play that long ago and is only 42.

The way the rules are now around it should make a difference but the decades between Wally's era and before the NRL started to do something about it means there will be plenty more, Carl Webb has MND and one of the worst effected by head knocks I can recall especially since he didn't even play that long ago and is only 42.
he also did amateur boxing as well.

Geoff Toovey would be a ticking time bomb......if he hasn't already been seeing doctors.

He would get routinely belted every game he played.

Dallas Johnson - now that bloke used to smash himself. I’d be worried for him.

Sorry - came in late and missed earlier convo - whoops.

Paul Gallen from 3 months ago:

“I’ve never really worried about concussion or its after-effects on me,” Gallen said. “I knew what I was in for when I started football and boxing as well. They are not sports for everyone at the professional level. And they come with risks.

“I only decided to get tested because my wife suggested it. I was one of the lucky ones – I was never knocked out playing footy but obviously you get bumps along the way and in training. I think I suffered three concussions, at least to some degree, in boxing. The worst was some headaches after the [Justis] Huni fight.

“I spent two days getting tested by the people who tested Kalyn Ponga in Newcastle. It was completely comprehensive and the result was good for me. I’m not boasting or sitting here saying I’m in the clear for the rest of my life.

“But the way it’s been explained to me is that I’m the same chance of having dementia or an issue like that as someone who has not played any kind of contact sport. That’s about as good a result as I could have hoped for.

“There is certainly some fears out there but after countless tackles, runs and some heavy duty stuff in the boxing ring I’m happy to say not everyone who does play contact sports ends up in a bad way.”

So maybe it isn't as clear cut as repeated knocks = bad, there still isn't a heap of data and Gallen could just be an outlier but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It would be interesting if we got something like 100-500 former RL players getting scanned to get some bulk data which I think is inevitable. There'll be someone out there trying to arrange a class action.

For those who follow the NFL, what's happening there? Is the NFL sweeping it under the rug, are ex-players joining class actions and suing?

Paul Gallen from 3 months ago:

So maybe it isn't as clear cut as repeated knocks = bad, there still isn't a heap of data and Gallen could just be an outlier but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It would be interesting if we got something like 100-500 former RL players getting scanned to get some bulk data which I think is inevitable. There'll be someone out there trying to arrange a class action.

For those who follow the NFL, what's happening there? Is the NFL sweeping it under the rug, are ex-players joining class actions and suing?
I wonder if Gallen considered the people he belted into oblivion ?

I wonder if Gallen considered the people he belted into oblivion ?
To be fair, if you're talking about in the ring, that's not his fault nor concern.

If you're talking about the likes of Nate Myles who didn't see it coming, that's a completely different thing. I respect what he's done in the ring, but he will always be a fucking grub ****. And a druggie cheater as well. It pains me deeply that he got to win both a premiership* and an Origin series.

To be fair, if you're talking about in the ring, that's not his fault nor concern.

If you're talking about the likes of Nate Myles who didn't see it coming, that's a completely different thing. I respect what he's done in the ring, but he will always be a fucking grub ****. And a druggie cheater as well. It pains me deeply that he got to win both a premiership* and an Origin series.
I'm not talking about boxing. I'm sure he whacked more than Miles in his career.

Wonder if brett dallas has had his head scanned last i saw was a bit loose,could be drugs thought

Maybe Gallen's systematic abuse of PED's has given him yet another unfair advantage.......?

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Swordfish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Sproj
  • Hurrijo
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Stix
  • lynx000
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TimWhatley
  • cento
  • Browny
  • DrGee
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skyblues87
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.