NEWS Wally Lewis Diagnosed with Dementia and Probable CTE

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa50ab3f6-d818-43ef-9995-a828fce26d26

This will lead to significant debate for the future of contact sport. There aren't any bigger names than Wally.

Will be interesting to see if the improved concussion rules delay this onset. Looks tragic, can definitely see more Mums and Dads switching to soccer

Poor Wal 😩

Anyone see the movie Concussion? This might be the NRL’s gridiron moment.

did Wally get knocked out much in his career?

I can just see what V'landys response to this will be ....

"We have done lots of things. Firstly we got rid of the mid week knockout cup ...."

And this is exactly why players should chase every dollar they can.

This sport is fucking dangerous. Poor Wally, dimentia is a truly awful disease.

Keep sticking up for the NRL Tallis/Hooper. One of the sticking points is extending medical coverage for retired players. I hope the NRL players remember this and shut out Hooper and Tallis even after the media strike is over.

And they showed a bunch of times where he was making regulation tackles and as everyone was falling over he'd land on his back and his head would smack the turf hard.

Good thing serial high shot offenders like JWH get constant pointless fines so they have a strong incentive to lower their hit zone.

This is what I would really like to see the NRL try and justify.

And this is exactly why players should chase every dollar they can.

This is what the knobs on social media don't understand........

"Oh the poor players.....I wish I could make 400K a year."

Players have that opportunity for a very short time frame......
and then have to deal with debilitating illnesses for the remainder of their life.

Meanwhile the NRL and the media power brokers continue to rape and pillage millions of dollars.

This latest news about Wally sure isn't going to hurt the RPLA cause .......

Back in Wally's day, getting a head knock and staying on the field was how you got the respect of fans and players.

That has been the biggest obstacle I think, getting the current players and those players who are now in the media to get on board with this new approach. A bit like a bloke walking in to see a psychologist about mental health, it's not weak. However, once upon time it was.

Back in Wally's day, getting a head knock and staying on the field was how you got the respect of fans and players.

That has been the biggest obstacle I think, getting the current players and those players who are now in the media to get on board with this new approach. A bit like a bloke walking in to see a psychologist about mental health, it's not weak. However, once upon time it was.

I think that has already come a long way. Back in those days, there were thugs on the field who were unashamed bullies. And you had to stand up to them. But now these "bullies" are receiving the negative attention they deserve. Most people believe that the toughest players play hard but fair, and cheap shots are the domain of cowards. Hopefully it's not long before JWH, NAS, Latrell etc lose their darling sheen.

What heartbreaking news. Dementia is the second leading cause of death in Australia, and an utterly dehumanizing way to go.
Some years ago, I set up and established a dementia unit in an aged care facility. Working with geriatric patients and also military veterans was what I did before I had to leave my job to care full time for my brother who had lost both of his legs. He has since passed away, in 2019, but my heart always stayed with patients who were suffering from dementia, geriatric patients and also with the veterans too.

So very sad to hear about Wally. Dementia and Alzheimer's is such a cruel thing for anyone to be afflicted with. My heart is breaking for him and his family and other loved ones. Thoughts and prayers going out to him.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • ezpz
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.