Wally Lewis Discussion

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It's disappointing isn't it....just how fucken hopeless Wally is in front of the camera. You would have hoped that after nearly 20 fucken years he would have learned how to relax and be himself. I guess you can't be the king at everything....
I’m too young to have ever seen Wally play and so I’ve just known him as the boring old league media personality who should’ve given up on his hair and moustache 40 years ago.

His charisma best came from the field, especially in SOO. As a reporter, maybe he should give up his day job(or in this case night).

Last edited:
thats a shame, at his best the bloke was majestic....

Oh that brings back the memories. Yep can still remember sitting in the old stands at Lang Park on a freezing Wednesday SoO night in June watching those 30 metre long spiral passes of Wally's. I know many say CS9 and Johns are the greatest ever, but to my mind, Wally is the best there ever was. He just ruled the field, especially in origin.

So broncos fans who were around for both unanimously say Wally is better than Lockyer?

I wonder if I can find old games. Any suggestions what games to start with?

So broncos fans who were around for both unanimously say Wally is better than Lockyer?

Sorry to all the Locky fans, of which I am one, but absolutely no doubt in my mind Lockyer doesn't come close to Lewis. If you think Locky could ice a game, Wally was on another level. Just my opinion, but yeah, they don't make 5/8s like Lewis anymore. Just check out most origin games from the mid 80s.

(sorry to momentarily hijack the thread).

Last edited:
I’m too young to have ever seen Wally play and so I’ve just known him as the boring old league media personality who should’ve given up on his hair and moustache 40 years ago.
There’s footage of him on YouTube. Bloke was fucking good.

I went back and watched all the greats from the 90s but I never cared to look into the Wally hype because I’ve always hated his head and dry tofty personality 😂 Obviously I’ve seen footage here and there and heard all the stories but I never did a real deep dive.

I went back and watched all the greats from the 90s but I never cared to look into the Wally hype because I’ve always hated his head and dry tofty personality [emoji23] Obviously I’ve seen footage here and there and heard all the stories but I never did a real deep dive.
Check out Game 3 of the 1991 SOO. It was my first exposure to RL and I fell in love with the sport on that night.

Oh that brings back the memories. Yep can still remember sitting in the old stands at Lang Park on a freezing Wednesday SoO night in June watching those 30 metre long spiral passes of Wally's. I know many say CS9 and Johns are the greatest ever, but to my mind, Wally is the best there ever was. He just ruled the field, especially in origin.
There is video of him doing this flick pass near the tryline playing for the gold coast that is great. His highlights videos are great

YouTube is good. In my view Lewis is the greatest of them all. Lockyer is still top 10. I think Langer is underrated and Andrew Johns overrated. Fittler was better than John's in my view

Last edited:
The best ever win by either side was captained under Wally back in 1989 game 2. You will not see a finer display from a team decimated by injuries during a match, they lost Langer and Meninga in the first half. Vautin failed to return for the second. Hancock went off with a shoulder injury and Bob Linder played on as long as he could till eventually having to be stretchered off with a broken leg in the 75th minute. Wally scored a famous try thanks to one of the best ever tackles in SOO history from Gillmeister. Even the NSW crowd applauded the QLD team for their effort and Wally said to the boys take that in cause you will never ever see that again.

Last edited:
I’m watching game 2 1991 right now. Hopefully I can find game 3 on YouTube next

Sorry to all the Locky fans, of which I am one, but absolutely no doubt in my mind Lockyer doesn't come close to Lewis. If you think Locky could ice a game, Wally was on another level. Just my opinion, but yeah, they don't make 5/8s like Lewis anymore. Just check out most origin games from the mid 80s.

(sorry to momentarily hijack the thread).
He won a lot of man of the match awards in origin. Didn't see the best of him in a Broncos jersey but he was still very good at the Broncos by the ordinary standard just not his

Last edited:

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.