OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

There are things he can work on such as his organisation and communication as he matures, and his attack is fine. Him under the high ball i'm 50/50 about. Practising to catch a ball in training isnt the same as doing it in a match situation under pressure. I can only remember the Eels putting up one testing high ball towards Tesi all game the other night and he didnt attack it, he let it bounce. Thats a worry.

The comments you make about him jogging and not busting a gut are the ones that concern me the most. Imo thats something thats either in your game or it isnt . I remember having this argument with somebody on there about Mosby when he was at the Cowboys as they wanted him here. They said it could be trained into him, i was convinced it couldnt be after i watched him in a fair few games just not chase players. I'm still of the belief thats something the majority of players cant have coached into them.
IMO it's about the 1%'ers. Yeah it is likely they will score but if you give up on the play they will 100% score and also probably improve the positioning for the kick - so even if they're odds on to score, your effort could result in 2 less points being scored even after the play has stopped if you bust your arse getting over there even if the initial effort is in vain.

I agree with you, I'm not sure that can be trained in/out of someone. I guess you can only say it might be a fitness issue if he is truly gassed and doesn't have the legs to get there.

IMO it's about the 1%'ers. Yeah it is likely they will score but if you give up on the play they will 100% score and also probably improve the positioning for the kick - so even if they're odds on to score, your effort could result in 2 less points being scored even after the play has stopped if you bust your arse getting over there even if the initial effort is in vain.

I agree with you, I'm not sure that can be trained in/out of someone. I guess you can only say it might be a fitness issue if he is truly gassed and doesn't have the legs to get there.

Tesi seems pretty fit tbh.

did you actually read the article posted?? he was literally described as Mr Effort ..... " no one does extras like tesi " i really don't know how it can be lack of effort.

did you actually read the article posted?? he was literally described as Mr Effort ..... " no one does extras like tesi " i really don't know how it can be lack of effort.
On the field where it counts is what I care about. I couldn't care less if he rolled up and banged a 40 pack every training session if he was relentless on the field. I don't give a shit for puff PR pieces.

I think we all have isaako ptsd. Given Niu Is a similar style player we feel he's been around for longer. I like having both Walsh and niu in the 30. Niu might make a good option at centre as well one day if he can learn to defend properly

Center is probably his best hope of NRL at the Broncos, but he isnt getting in front of Staggs or Herbie if they both stay fit. He is a strong ball runner, but i'm not sure if he has the physicality to be effective enough at center.

I feel like this keeps making me sound like a huge Tesi fan, even though I'm not (or maybe I'm in denial?), but he's improved dramatically even since a year ago, and seems to continue to improve every month. I hope they do make him and Walsh really compete for the fullback spot, at the very least to increase both of their commitment to improving, because I feel like if Tesi has a bigger drive to improve than Walsh there's every chance he might end up being a better player overall despite Walsh having more potential. Defence should be their big focus over the offseason.

On the field where it counts is what I care about. I couldn't care less if he rolled up and banged a 40 pack every training session if he was relentless on the field. I don't give a shit for puff PR pieces.
yeah right. pretty shit veiw imo but hey what the **** do I know .

yeah right. pretty shit veiw imo but hey what the **** do I know .
Mate it's more just I have lost count of the PR pieces over the years of X player is the fittest he's ever been, Y is training the house down, Z is going to be the greatest player ever seen based off his work at training.

At the end of the day it all means sfa, what they do/don't on the field is the single most important thing and ultimately what I judge players on.

I still think the only realistic way the Warriors release Walsh early is if Charnze is released early. They have no other options at full back to try out for next year. Asi seems to be their likely 5/8th for next year so they might as well keep him there.

Mate it's more just I have lost count of the PR pieces over the years of X player is the fittest he's ever been, Y is training the house down, Z is going to be the greatest player ever seen based off his work at training.

At the end of the day it all means sfa, what they do/don't on the field is the single most important thing and ultimately what I judge players on.
i know what you're saying but 1 thing that has always been stated about tesi is his training habits, that's why he has been compared to Lockyer.
Not saying that he is going to get anywhere near those heights but if you can't see his improvement, then you're not watching or you've had to many.

I think we all have isaako ptsd.

Yes Agree GIF

I think tesi is a fantastic young man with the right attitude and a stable life. I hope he either makes walsh redundant, or makes him fight hard enough to demand his preference in selection.
The idea that a player who left this club because he thouhht he knew better than his coaches, stuffs up in his private life, is playing so well he has been dropped from a club at the bottom of the nrl after being their marque signing, should then walk into fullback absolutely appalls me, particularly when you see niu's performances and his obvious improvement thanks to his work ethic.
Im not against us having signed walsh, but to me right now fullback should be tesi's to lose.

Tesi is definitely winning me over at the moment. I've been pretty critical of him for obvious reasons but seems like he is willing to learn and get better.

Unfortunately for Tesi, I do tend to think that the club has Walsh as their number 1 choice for fullback for next year but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before then. So I don't think Tesi is totally out of it. Great to hear he is keen for the competition though.

The issue for Niu is that Walsh is just about better than him in every aspect. He can continue to improve though and he has the remainder of this season to really make a claim to be fullback next year. Let's say we make a deep run in the finals, with Niu as fullback, and the combination really gels, then I'm not sure what that does with Walsh coming.

I do like Tesi's willingness to get involved though. He likes to be around the ball, and against tired defenders he can cause them problems. But his defensive ability at this stage is a little bit suspect. If he could get more confident under the highball and learn to make better defensive decisions, he would be more than adequate as first choice fullback.

I feel like maybe he could be a good option off the bench next year though. He could cover fullback and centre if needed, but week-to-week, play him like a roving lock/hooker/fullback hybrid. It won't be conventional, but it could work. The question would be the defensive side of it, but perhaps defending in the middle next to guys like Carrigan, Flegler, Haas, Hetherington, Jensen etc. would compensate for his defensive capabilities. Perhaps by having him defend in the middle and away from fullback, it wouldn't be such a bad thing either. We would get to keep his attack and support play, without his defensive issues from fullback.

Having the following spine would be a nightmare to defend against, particularly late in each half:
1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Walters/Paix
14. Niu

The issue for Niu is that Walsh is just about better than him in every aspect. He can continue to improve though and he has the remainder of this season to really make a claim to be fullback next year. Let's say we make a deep run in the finals, with Niu as fullback, and the combination really gels, then I'm not sure what that does with Walsh coming.

I do like Tesi's willingness to get involved though. He likes to be around the ball, and against tired defenders he can cause them problems. But his defensive ability at this stage is a little bit suspect. If he could get more confident under the highball and learn to make better defensive decisions, he would be more than adequate as first choice fullback.

I feel like maybe he could be a good option off the bench next year though. He could cover fullback and centre if needed, but week-to-week, play him like a roving lock/hooker/fullback hybrid. It won't be conventional, but it could work. The question would be the defensive side of it, but perhaps defending in the middle next to guys like Carrigan, Flegler, Haas, Hetherington, Jensen etc. would compensate for his defensive capabilities. Perhaps by having him defend in the middle and away from fullback, it wouldn't be such a bad thing either. We would get to keep his attack and support play, without his defensive issues from fullback.

Having the following spine would be a nightmare to defend against, particularly late in each half:
1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Walters/Paix
14. Niu

Nice post but interested in your thoughts as to how Walsh is better than Tesi in almost every respect.

I am not arguing for either/or but right now, I don't see Walsh being much better than Tesi in many things at all, I'd have them pretty even in most with the following stand outs:

Metres - Tesi pretty comfortably
Defense - Walsh definitely but neither is great
Support Play - Tesi but this may very well be due to the Warriors being awful and Walsh not getting as many chances
Kicking - Walsh comfortably
Passing - Both good but I would arguably put Tesi ahead here but there is nothing in it
Work ethic - Based purely on what has been observed / reported - Tesi hands down

I'd argue that right now, Tesi is currently the better player, not the other way around but obviously, the end products may be vastly different and there are likely many factors in play as to Reece not being great right now.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • BruiserMk1
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • johnny plath
  • heartly87
  • simplythebest
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.