OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Nice post but interested in your thoughts as to how Walsh is better than Tesi in almost every respect.

I am not arguing for either/or but right now, I don't see Walsh being much better than Tesi in many things at all, I'd have them pretty even in most with the following stand outs:

Metres - Tesi pretty comfortably
Defense - Walsh definitely but neither is great
Support Play - Tesi but this may very well be due to the Warriors being awful and Walsh not getting as many chances
Kicking - Walsh comfortably
Passing - Both good but I would arguably put Tesi ahead here but there is nothing in it
Work ethic - Based purely on what has been observed / reported - Tesi hands down

I'd argue that right now, Tesi is currently the better player, not the other way around but obviously, the end products may be vastly different and there are likely many factors in play as to Reece not being great right now.
I'd put Walsh's kick defusal miles ahead of Tesi... Walsh will compete for bombs and come down with them quite often despite being outmatched physically. Tesi on the other hand barely wants to compete for a contested ball and can struggle under just about any torpedo bomb. He hasn't really been tested under torp bombs since returning to the team, even Moses last week barely fired a shot, but Douehi does like to put up a torp or ten, so we might get a glimpse on whether he's overcome his yips.

I'd say Walsh's passing is also better... I've always thought Tesi was quite good at ball playing, but at times he'll mess up certain situations (only a couple weeks back vs dragons he bombed a 3v1 by running back infield). Walsh on the other hand is extremely good at finishing off overlaps and it's basically what he's been known for since he debuted.

I'd put Walsh's kick defusal miles ahead of Tesi... Walsh will compete for bombs and come down with them quite often despite being outmatched physically. Tesi on the other hand barely wants to compete for a contested ball and can struggle under just about any torpedo bomb. He hasn't really been tested under torp bombs since returning to the team, even Moses last week barely fired a shot, but Douehi does like to put up a torp or ten, so we might get a glimpse on whether he's overcome his yips.

I'd say Walsh's passing is also better... I've always thought Tesi was quite good at ball playing, but at times he'll mess up certain situations (only a couple weeks back vs dragons he bombed a 3v1 by running back infield). Walsh on the other hand is extremely good at finishing off overlaps and it's basically what he's been known for since he debuted.
walsh has put heaps of passes over the sideline from not hitting the mark, im far from convinced he is better at this point in time.
walsh has gone backwards and imo has plenty to work on.

Nice post but interested in your thoughts as to how Walsh is better than Tesi in almost every respect.

I am not arguing for either/or but right now, I don't see Walsh being much better than Tesi in many things at all, I'd have them pretty even in most with the following stand outs:

Metres - Tesi pretty comfortably
Defense - Walsh definitely but neither is great
Support Play - Tesi but this may very well be due to the Warriors being awful and Walsh not getting as many chances
Kicking - Walsh comfortably
Passing - Both good but I would arguably put Tesi ahead here but there is nothing in it
Work ethic - Based purely on what has been observed / reported - Tesi hands down

I'd argue that right now, Tesi is currently the better player, not the other way around but obviously, the end products may be vastly different and there are likely many factors in play as to Reece not being great right now.
Yeah, interesting view. I don't think the gap between them is that big either, especially when you start to compare individual components the way that you have. But I feel Walsh currently is, and will end up the superior player, provided he puts in the work.

But my view was more of an overall thing as a whole. So for instance in terms of speed, footwork, ballplaying, general play kicking, goalkicking, kick defusal, defensive positioning, and communication, I think Walsh is ahead of Niu overall. In some areas, he is quite significantly ahead of Niu, in other areas it is quite close. Though I think Walsh overall has a better attacking game, and also a slightly better defensive game at this stage. They are both young, and it could change in the future, but I just feel Walsh currently has more quality involvements in him. At the moment Walsh is playing in a poor side, so it is hard to really compare fairly. I would be interested to see what he could do in our current team though.

But in saying that, you have rightly pointed out that Niu offers more in terms of yardage and involvment in support play. But other than those two things, there's not much more that Niu provides that Walsh can't do equally well, or better himself. In comparison, Walsh can offer better general play kicking, goal kicking and playmaking over Niu, which are pretty valuable attributes to have. But I do appreciate hard work, effort, and attitude. From all reports, Niu comfortably wins in those areas over Walsh at this stage of their careers. Interesting dilemma to have, but it may be hard to fit both in the 17.

walsh has put heaps of passes over the sideline from not hitting the mark, im far from convinced he is better at this point in time.
walsh has gone backwards and imo has plenty to work on.
Have to keep in mind that Walsh is trying to carry a horrendous spine and is going to be making errors trying to go for the big play in the process. He’s not receiving the ball in 3v2 situation off an Arey crafted sweep play, or copping a carrigan or haas offload with shit loads of space in front of him.

Hard to compare the 2 as completely different situations currently.
Broncos are flying high the warriors are all over the shop.
Reece has been thrown in the deep end pretty much he's the main man apart from Johnson who's struggling himself, Tesi he just pops up wherever he doesn't have the side getting carried on his back, he's not the guy being asked to do the big play.
Tesi is playing behind a much better forward pack, better organising half both with Reynolds and I'd say with Gamble there aswell.

Only have to look at Deardon to see how different a player is when a team is playing well and not a basket case.

Tesi is definitely in the better form, although he is in a team in the top 4 (and playing behind a dominant pack), not a team trying to avoid the spoon (not to mention a team coached by Nathan Brown for half the season).

Walsh has the higher ceiling. working with Boyd will do wonders for his game, he has no one like that that the Warriors

I'd argue that Tesi is certainly playing in a better team ....right now.

I wonder how large the gap between the two would look, if Tesi were playing for the Warriors and Walsh was playing for the Broncos. I'm predicting the gap would be so large in Walsh's favour, that we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Yeah, interesting view. I don't think the gap between them is that big either, especially when you start to compare individual components the way that you have. But I feel Walsh currently is, and will end up the superior player, provided he puts in the work.

But my view was more of an overall thing as a whole. So for instance in terms of speed, footwork, ballplaying, general play kicking, goalkicking, kick defusal, defensive positioning, and communication, I think Walsh is ahead of Niu overall. In some areas, he is quite significantly ahead of Niu, in other areas it is quite close. Though I think Walsh overall has a better attacking game, and also a slightly better defensive game at this stage. They are both young, and it could change in the future, but I just feel Walsh currently has more quality involvements in him. At the moment Walsh is playing in a poor side, so it is hard to really compare fairly. I would be interested to see what he could do in our current team though.

But in saying that, you have rightly pointed out that Niu offers more in terms of yardage and involvment in support play. But other than those two things, there's not much more that Niu provides that Walsh can't do equally well, or better himself. In comparison, Walsh can offer better general play kicking, goal kicking and playmaking over Niu, which are pretty valuable attributes to have. But I do appreciate hard work, effort, and attitude. From all reports, Niu comfortably wins in those areas over Walsh at this stage of their careers. Interesting dilemma to have, but it may be hard to fit both in the 17.

Yep agree with all of that. And the winner really is us as a club because we have two legit good options (assuming TMM moves on and not factoring in Herbie or Cobbs) currently and both have elite potential. It is a really nice problem to have.

I wonder how large the gap between the two would look, if Tesi were playing for the Warriors and Walsh was playing for the Broncos. I'm predicting the gap would be so large in Walsh's favour, that we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Yep I agree that the context is a huge factor but it is really heard to determine how big of a factor. Would Walsh be better in our team? I have no doubt. Would Tesi be worse in the Warriors team? Most likely, yes.

Both are still really young and we won't really know until they are about 50 games into their careers. I guess all I am saying is that really, it is a nice problem to have and I think both of them have a lot to look forward to in their careers. I also think that if Walsh doesn't walk into the 1 jersey but has to earn it, this will also make him a FAR better player that he would be if he was gifted the jersey.

Have to keep in mind that Walsh is trying to carry a horrendous spine and is going to be making errors trying to go for the big play in the process. He’s not receiving the ball in 3v2 situation off an Arey crafted sweep play, or copping a carrigan or haas offload with shit loads of space in front of him.
understand that but tesi didn't get any slack when he came into our spoon winning team .
Walsh pushes those plays himself , he's impatient and that's why he left to play 1st grade .
Joey mentioned the other night that he wanted to see him hanging around the big warriors forwards especially fonua blake , but he doesn't. Instead he wants the ball out the back and goes for the big cut out and 8 times out of 10 its not on or a bad pass.
I'm a big Walsh fan but he has some things to work on and a lot will do with coaching but attitude will need to change.

he was with us last year and we weren't much better ..
your predicting that because you favour Walsh.

Tesi is definitely in the better form, although he is in a team in the top 4 (and playing behind a dominant pack), not a team trying to avoid the spoon (not to mention a team coached by Nathan Brown for half the season).

Walsh has the higher ceiling. working with Boyd will do wonders for his game, he has no one like that that the Warriors
it's his attitude that will stop him , unlike tesi who is willing to do what it takes and listen to his coach.
walsh not listening to Kevvie and murmurs that he isn’t listening to Jones .

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.